Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Average Youtube WoW players Idolized....actual amazing players unknown...

Why are average players like Swifty and other youtubers on WoW so famous. I've watched A LOT of these guys videos and honestly they all seem very average to me, yet they get hundreds of thousands/millions of views each video. There are plenty of people out there that are amazing at the game, just absolutely amazing. Top world PvE guilds...arena tournament players, insane players. Why don't they get any sort of attention? There are hundreds if not thousands of gladiator warriors in WoW who would shit all over Swifty yet so many of them are unknown and swifty is idolized by tens of thousands as the worlds best warrior. Now there is some new rogue called Mercader who claims to be the "best PvP rogue in WoW" He is a BG hero /sigh. I wont even begin to go into the amount of insane rogues out there that actually have shown and continue to show how amazing they're WITHOUT going around stroking their epeen that are 100 times better than this guy. I wish the actual amazing players got this sort of attention :s

10+ Year Old Account
    None of the players you mentioned 'gets' attention. They earn it, by making a few simple videos, and posting them on YT.

Fame is earned through work AND PR.
    If you add me on Steam, Skype or whatever program/client I share my info for, please write something to identify you in the "Dude/gal wants to join your club"-message. Just so I know that an actual human is on the other end :P

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Maybe if the amazing players put some youtube videos up, they would get idolized too? Maybe they dont give a shit about flashing their epeen too. Who knows man, who knows.

Grunt
    10+ Year Old Account
    He who posteth the most bullshit on youtube inevitably becomes more famous. People outside your realm aren't going to hear much about you if you're not on youtube considering blizzard bumped up BG realm pools again for cata. And as for PvE people know more about guilds and their leaders and officers rather than average joe who's doing plenty of dps and filling his role competently but quietly.
    Last edited by Annomander; 2011-04-16 at 06:31 PM. Reason: Correcteth mine grammars.

10+ Year Old Account
    Machinima takes what they can get. Then people go to those channels on YouTube and check out them and their friends. A lot of the amazing players out there don't give a damn if they're recognized. They just want to play the game. Let people think what they want imo. When they start seeing people like Swifty and this Mercader fellow fail or slip up they will look for someone else. Maybe, just maybe they'll find some of those amazing players.

Perhaps Swifty is not the best warrior in the world, and frankly it would be hard to determine that. But the reason he is famous is because he helps people and entertains people.
    Norway Ftw!

People do not idolize their skill, they idolize their ego. The good players do not give a shit about Youtube because they do not need to make a video to showcase their skill. They show it in Arena and/or HpS/DpS in PvE - the greats in anything (music, comedy, history etc. etc.) are often not noticed. Why? Because the do not care to be noticed...

I could for all intens and purposes be the best pvp warrior around, but if I'm not the bragging kind of person, not many will know.
    More than likely though I'd be quite far below average. But if I post a video with some cool editing and music, and maybe make a couple of snappy comeback in the comments section on youtube, I'd probably have a bigger chance of gaining a following.

Maybe most people are here just to play the game and enjoy, not to entertain others.

Because somehow, their videos got viral.
    Simples

Because being a video game celebrity is more important that enjoying the game.
    nomnomnomnom

Quote Originally Posted by Calzaeth View Post
    Fame is earned through work AND PR.
    Hiltons...Kardashians...Jenkins...I'm fairly certain I just invalidated half of that statement.

Deleted
    Eh, Merc isnt "new"

Quote Originally Posted by Suff View Post
    Eh, Merc isnt "new"
    He only had a few subscribers up until swifty started helping him out. Look at all the comments in Merc videos...people actually saying he is comparable to players such as Reckful (a rogue n.1 ranked rogue for 8 seasons in a row + tournament player,,....compared to a rogue who has never came close to glads)

Honestly...it's laughable.

Its not necessarily the best players who gets attention, but the ones that make the most entertaining videos

Edit:
    Quote Originally Posted by Ovacor View Post
    People do not idolize their skill, they idolize their ego. The good players do not give a shit about Youtube because they do not need to make a video to showcase their skill. They show it in Arena and/or HpS/DpS in PvE - the greats in anything (music, comedy, history etc. etc.) are often not noticed. Why? Because the do not care to be noticed...
    This^
    Last edited by Airez; 2011-04-16 at 06:44 PM.

fame does not mean skill

skill does not mean fame

you can have no skill and be famous just by good pr or having a positive vibe around you.

you can have skill but no pr or just a douche

swifty gives a good show, and prizes, but his skill is yes .... well there is non

if i take you back to vanilla noone liked the power of satan might of god rogue dude (cant remember his name anymore), but he was skilled....

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mungo View Post
    Why are average players like Swifty and other youtubers on WoW so famous. I've watched A LOT of these guys videos and honestly they all seem very average to me, yet they get hundreds of thousands/millions of views each video. There are plenty of people out there that are amazing at the game, just absolutely amazing. Top world PvE guilds...arena tournament players, insane players. Why don't they get any sort of attention? There are hundreds if not thousands of gladiator warriors in WoW who would shit all over Swifty yet so many of them are unknown and swifty is idolized by tens of thousands as the worlds best warrior. Now there is some new rogue called Mercader who claims to be the "best PvP rogue in WoW" He is a BG hero /sigh. I wont even begin to go into the amount of insane rogues out there that actually have shown and continue to show how amazing they're WITHOUT going around stroking their epeen that are 100 times better than this guy. I wish the actual amazing players got this sort of attention :s

Because this world is going to shit, honestly. Popstars, moviestars, game stars, sports stars are getting all the attention instead of doctors, scientists, people who change the world or even politicians who ruin their countries for money.

Seventy years ago it would of been unthinkable that someone can make a career out of hitting a ball on a football field. The educational system is going dow...

OH SORRY WRONG FORUMS LOL.

cuz swifty makes dem laugh olol

u jelly bro?
    "The best argument against democracy is a five minute scroll through twitter." - Winston Churchill

I actually regret making this thread now. I've realised why this is the case.

There are actually a few real high end glad websites out there...but they're all private boards and websites that they charge you a fee per month to even look at. I've even seen some sites ran by tournament players who actually sell gladiator titles for quite a lot of RL cash. I guess it's their own fault they dont' get that attention...too many time spent on trying to profit from selling their skills privately instead of showcasing it and explaining what it took for them to get so amazing.

The Unstoppable Force Resentful's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I like them because they are entertaining

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mungo View Post
    Armani shirts are made in China. The only thing different from a regular shirt is that the Armani company has lobbied to make their trademark a luxury object.

Swifty and the others aren't zomg super skilled, they just had the resources to make a name for themselves on the internet.