Best way to combine professions on alts to make money in the least time (CDs)?

I have a handful of alts that I don't play anymore, but I am interested in leveling their professions for long term easy gold making. By easy gold making, I mean making things that tend to hold value thanks to profession cool downs so I don't have to actively farm nor actively sit at the AH and play the undercut game. In Wrath, this was fairly simple: make a lot of transmute spec alchemists and make red epic gems (cutting them using 1 JC). Between 5 alts, you were guaranteed 1k-2k+ a day for 10 minutes of work. That may not sound like a lot, but its the sort of thing I am interested in. Is there anything like that for Cataclysm so far?

well, you already have a bunch of transmute alchs, so do life to air every day (or whichever volatile is highest on your server)

the gem transmutes are off cooldown, so being spec'd you should be able to make quite a bit off that

10+ Year Old Account
    Alchemy will stay worth while. And if you have a JC, once epic cata gems come out, daily gem xmute+JC=$$$.
    Last edited by Irisel; 2011-04-16 at 10:14 PM. Reason: errors

Alch and JC should be safe, however you should take note that several professions can't reach their end game patterns without opening up their respective base in Twilight Highlands. I would only recommend you go for those professions if you plan to level these alts to 84 or so.

So the consensus is transmutation alch is still the best for quick & easy money with professional alts?

living elements transmute is the only one that has a consistent profit.

all servers are different, but IME on my server, dreamcloth sells for close to or below material costs, truegold is the same (though transmute procs probably account for the difference here). living elements is ALWAYS a net positive, and the transmute proc is just a bonus on top.

4.1 will shake things up though, uncommon gems losing their vendor value means, ore prices will drop, means less farming, which will in turn affect the herb farmers since they frequently double up, this will throw of volatile life prices, potentially increasing that, and if Life is the most expensive volatile, then the transmute is useless.

however, uncommon gem prices will fall while rare gems go up (less prospecting if uncommon gems are a loser), meaning that the rare gem transmutes will come back into focus...

Lot of moving peices, have to see what happens in 4.1.