Question Moonkin Omnitron Defense System question and reforging/gemming

Omnitron:

On the Omnitron defense system I'm always afraid of destroying the shields with aoe or dots.....
    so I tend not to use starfall after the beginning and only dot once or twice per bot...

1. Once two bot are activated can I use starfall or will I destroy the shield?
    2. At what % of the energy shield should I trow on the last dots?

Or how do you moonkins do the fight?

This is my moonkin:

http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...lgoro/advanced

Fullgoro kor'gall eu

Any tips on improving reforges/gemming/enchants?

a single starfire will not wreck the shield, don't worry. at around 69% you should stop, at least, that's how we do it

Refresh dots on the "current" one 18s tilll activated. As for starfall, the second the shield falls off the second one, starfall and apply dots.

Deleted
    Different bots have different shields, btw - I think the only one that'll wipe you if you attack accidentally with DoTs or starfall is Magmatron, the others I don't think actually hurt you if you leave DoTs up.

Quote Originally Posted by Krags View Post
    Different bots have different shields, btw - I think the only one that'll wipe you if you attack accidentally with DoTs or starfall is Magmatron, the others I don't think actually hurt you if you leave DoTs up.
    no but starfall will proc electrons shield and wipe your group.

Deleted
    Starfire isn't a signifacnt dps improvement, imo better to renew the dots on 65 energy, and dot again after the shield goes down (at low energy, they don't last up to shutdown).
    BTW shield on toxitron shouldn't apply poison on you, so it's only one that can be dotted all the time (correct me if i'm wrong). Magmatron's and Electron's shields do nasty raid damage, arcanotron get stacks, so only tank should hit him sometimes to get little buff to SpellSteal.

Have you considered trying out a Wrath glyph instead of Starsurge on the fight?

Quote Originally Posted by luckynoob View Post
    Have you considered trying out a Wrath glyph instead of Starsurge on the fight?
    good idea!

Couple of things, as noted, shields are unique per -tron. With the exception of Magmatron, the shields will not be adversely effected by your dots if you applied them prior to the shield coming up. Ie. dot ticks will not proc electrons shiled, arcanotrons or toxitron. The initial moonfire/sunfire portion WILL trigger the shield tho, and this should be avoided.

Starfire will trigger the crap out of the proc based shields as well, most notably electron and arcanotron.

Only other thing to keep in mind is, that timing and holding your Solar eclipse for the two add phases of Toxitron can be very useful for mushroom/sunfire spam/typhoon. This could depend on how well your raid comp can destroy the adds or not.

This is not one of my better fights though, so i'm anxious to hear other ideas, good luck.

About reforges/ench/gems i would say : Make crit->spirit on chest since Mastery is better, and I wouldn't reforge haste into hit on boots...just personal opinion and they are so close for DPS anw ( since you are at cap and a bit over)

When we worked on ODS, i came across something that is pretty stupid.

If you moonfire(sunfire) / Insect swarm. Your insect swarm does not cause any charges to electrons shield. But if you refresh moonfire(sunfire) before the shield goes up, the last tick of moonfire(sunfire) will count as DirectDamage and add a charge to the shield. So be careful.. same applies to Survival hunter serpent sting, Devouring plague, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Juvencus View Post
    Make crit->spirit on chest since Mastery is better
    Are you serious? Crit is the worst stat you can chose atm as a boomkin, still he's slight above the hit cap (0.03%) that means, if he would be reforging his chest back he should be doing ALOT of theorycrafting to get those 0.03% away, reforging this 0.03% hit away would probably increase his DPS by a very small amount.

Still, you had a point there on the boots, he should go for spirit instead of hit, also, this is a very small increasement.

the shields only last 10-15 secs. so even well into the fight you can still use starfall and double dot the active ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by tkjnz
    If memory serves me right, a fox is a female wolf.

10+ Year Old Account
    A small tip. DoTs doesnt break the shields. I was worried about this aswell but I am feral so my DoTs tick for like a hell until I was told by my guild that the DoTs doesnt affect the shield. Only the instant first damage does.
    ''Invincibility lies in the defence; the possibility of victory in the attack'' -Sun Tzu

Deleted
    Since you do have the Glyph of Starfall, using Starfall should be fine aslong as their not standing near eachother. Just watch your range & you'll be fine =)

Quote Originally Posted by Elunefesslol View Post
    Are you serious? Crit is the worst stat you can chose atm as a boomkin.
    I think that's what he was implying, in stead of reforging the Mastery to spirit/hit he should have reforged the Crit to the desired stat.

Quote Originally Posted by Dedweight View Post
    I think that's what he was implying, in stead of reforging the Mastery to spirit/hit he should have reforged the Crit to the desired stat.
    Whoops, it's early in the morning, ghehe. :$

Couple things:

First: Dots WILL NOT break the shield. Reapplying insect swarm will not do anything either. Applying moonfire/sunfire will on the direct damage portion however.

Second: Many people seem to think the shields last indefinitely on the 'old' tron. They do not. The shield only lasts for like 10s or something. It forces you to switch during those 10s, but technically, after that you could just nuke the 'wrong' one and you wouldn't be doing a thing wrong.

So, this is what I do. Keep dots up on both at all times. If you don't wanna risk refreshing a moonfire/sunfire during a shield, fine, personally, i don't care. It's like 5-10k damage...it aint gonna break the shield, but if your guild is bad about shields, just hold off on the moonfire refresh for 5 seconds or whatever. Starfall can be used at any time other than when a new tron just came out and the shield is up. Try and use it in an arcanotron dmg buff if you can. Volcano pot + starfall + arcanotron buff + lunar eclipse = omfgbbqdmg.

For reference, my guild is 2/12 HM...I did 28.6k on omnotron last week. I know what I'm talking about :-) (Leynal @ Kel'Thuzad-US)

Also, as a disclaimer, this is normal mode i'm talking about. I honestly don't know what the diff is in heroic, we've only done chim/halfus/maloriak/magmaw /shrug

Edit: Only gearing things i saw were the chest reforge others mentioned. Forge off that crit rather than mastery. Also, socket bonuses for belt and boots aren't worth it. Other than that you're good to go gear-wise.

Edit 2: Also, one other thing: Zene mentioned holding a solar eclipse for toxitron's adds. Do not do this. Simply dot them. moonfire, insect swarm, repeat, repeat, repeat, when you've dotted all, go back to nuking. Typhoon if you wish. Mostly for the daze, not damage tho.
    Last edited by Leynal; 2011-04-20 at 08:51 AM.