Editing + Uploading

Ok so over the years I've frapsed a few things here and there, but have never been able to edit them with music and upload them. All I have is Windows Movie Maker for editing, but that's all I need to add music and an intro. When I go to input a video into the program, it says I don't have the required codec to play the video.

The files are saved as avi, and I can play them in Windows Movie Player. Do I need to download DiVX movie player in order to upload them? If not, what can I do?

The Lightbringer eternalwhitemoon's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    What codec is it saying you're missing? Fraps records uncompressed by default if I recall.

It doesn't say which one I'm missing, simply that I'm missing one.

Here's the message:

The file C:\Fraps\WoW 2009-11-24 00-34-48-79.avi cannot be imported because the codec required to play the file is not installed on your computer. If you have already tried to download and install the codec, close and restart Windows Movie Maker, and then try to import the file again.

---------- Post added 2011-04-17 at 12:28 PM ----------

I need to head out for 2 hours, will check back after.

The Lightbringer eternalwhitemoon's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Weird. It almost sounds like a problem with WMM. You said you can play the file; you wouldn't be able to if you didn't have the codec installed.

How long has this been happening?

A while. Since I've had the computer, which is like.. 16 months? I've asked a different group of people before and they gave me an answer which lead to a dead end.

Fraps uses its own codec to compress the video files it creates. This codec is automatically installed with Fraps, so make sure Fraps is actually installed when you're trying to edit the videos. If it's already installed, try reinstalling it to fix any corrupted files or registry entries.

Also make sure both Fraps and Windows Movie Maker are up to date, since updates for these programs often include bug fixes.

I had Fraps sent to me from a friend a long time ago, and I lost the email address that it was sent to. I can't find another file to download, at least I couldn't when I last searched for it.

I'll try looking for it again.

10+ Year Old Account
    I had a similar problem. I recorded some footage on one PC, brought it to another PC, and the new PC was missing the codec to edit the footage. Download the trail Fraps here. It doesn't matter that it's the trial, you just need the codec in it.

http://www.fraps.com/download.php