[Anime] Goth/Dark Anime

Hey guys, I'm looking for a gothic/dark anime show. Do you know any shows that has these two genres as main features? Thanks

Not sure what you mean by dark... like Dark storyline? (like the lable "Dark Comedy"?) or more of just dark topics like vampires/zombies/night creatures?

Either way I would say:

Ergo Proxy
    Vampire Hunter
    Black Butler
    Witch Hunter Robin

My favorite: Berserk.

Deleted
    Berserk and Claymore are the 2 that come to mind. Also, I wouldn't call it gothic but Elfen Lied is pretty dark

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by naskapi View Post
    Not sure what you mean by dark... like Dark storyline? (like the lable "Dark Comedy"?) or more of just dark topics like vampires/zombies/night creatures?

Either way I would say:

Ergo Proxy
    Vampire Hunter
    Black Butler
    Witch Hunter Robin

My favorite: Berserk.
    Vampire hunter as in Vampire hunter D?

Deleted
    Why not "Higurashi No Naku Koro Ni" or "Elfen Leid"?

Quote Originally Posted by Fuze View Post
    Vampire hunter as in Vampire hunter D?
    Yes... forgot the D.

Maybes:
    Hellsing
    Hell Girl

Paranoia Agent
    Last edited by naskapi; 2011-04-17 at 07:50 PM.

Elfen Lied is pretty dark. Perhaps not totally gothic but it's got the kind of theme I think you're looking for : Pandora Hearts

D.Gray-man has the whole gothic victorian theme to it and it's kinda dark as well (Although the Manga comes across slightly more sinister than the Anime)

The Lightbringer eternalwhitemoon's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Jigoku Shoujo (and its follow up seasons Jigoku Shoujo Futakomori and Jigoku Shoujo Mitsuganae).

Death, revenge, hell, and all kinds of sick twisted scenarios. Very dark, but very good. (Chilling music too!)

Edit: lol didn't see naskapi's response. Jigoku Shoujo=Hell Girl.

Thanks! You gave me lots to download now!^^

Blood+ And Trinity Blood aren't exactly goth, but they are dark and have vampires.

Ergo Proxy was the first one to come to mind, but that was already posted.

10+ Year Old Account
    my new favourite Anime is Peulla Magi Madoka Magica, if you can get past the open titles (VERY cutesy) and get past the animation (VERY simplistic) it's actually one of the best, and DARKEST Anime I've seen this year. it's infact SO messed up, that the Japanese TV board are considering censoring it for future broadcasts, because it's too messed up.
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

Elfen Lied.

Psychological.

Quote Originally Posted by Gallahadd View Post
    my new favourite Anime is Peulla Magi Madoka Magica, if you can get past the open titles (VERY cutesy) and get past the animation (VERY simplistic) it's actually one of the best, and DARKEST Anime I've seen this year. it's infact SO messed up, that the Japanese TV board are considering censoring it for future broadcasts, because it's too messed up.
    Can I punch you in the taint please? Madoka is magic Girl, but anyways

I will vouch for Higurashi, very dark and evil.

Dark Humor:
    Bakemonogatari
    Welcome to NHK

Dark In General:
    Claymore
    Black Butler
    Berserk
    Hellsing (The anime is crap, watch the OVA's)

Gothic:
    Vampire Knight + Guilty
    erm Trinity Blood has a gothic undertone but it isn't to dark

edit to include Akira =D
    Last edited by Phtes; 2011-04-18 at 06:18 AM.
    I cant has cheezburgar :'(

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Phtes View Post
    Can I punch you in the taint please? Madoka is magic Girl, but anyways

what's that supposed to mean? just cause it's about Magic Girls doesn't mean it can't be dark, trust me get... 3? episodes in and I DARE you to come back and tell me it's a girly show... hell it's a retelling of FAUST! and if you don't know what that is... you aren't allowed to talk to me.

and don't watch the Akira movie. FANTASTIC though it is, the original Manga is so much better it's not even a tiny bit funny, it's just sad that the masterpeice was edited so heavily.

gotta agree with you though Welcome to the NHK is amazing. Although again the Manga is a trillion times better.

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.

Deleted
    Serial Experiments Lain, not goth but 'dark'. Only 13 episodes.

Quote Originally Posted by Gallahadd View Post
    what's that supposed to mean? just cause it's about Magic Girls doesn't mean it can't be dark, trust me get... 3? episodes in and I DARE you to come back and tell me it's a girly show... hell it's a retelling of FAUST! and if you don't know what that is... you aren't allowed to talk to me.
    I've watched all of Madoka and continue to await the finale eagrly, and it is still very far from dark the only part that was in any form dark was when Sayaka went all crazy and beat the shit out of the witch with the evil laugh, other than that there is not much to back up it being classified dark, hence the true classification magical girl

10+ Year Old Account
    really? cause I'd classify the whole thing as fairly dark, the color pallette is mostly blacks and dark blues, the themes of the show are all pretty bleak, plus there's the body count

**spoilers** I mean in 9 episodes, 3 of the 4 Magic girls gets killed, one gets her head bitten off, one turns INTO a with, and one sacrifices herself in a fight against said witch **spoilers over**

plus there's the style of the 'Mazes' where the fight the witches, which are like a frakkin acid trip, lots of discordant music, and wierd, broken animation...

I think what this all comes down to really, is me and you clearly having a different view of what we consider to be 'Dark'

for instance I don't consider Hellsing to be dark, or Claymore for the most part **again spoilers** the fact that Claymores eventually turn into the monsters is pretty messed up, but on the whole when I watched the show I wasn't thinking 'Dude... this is messed up' like I did with Madoka**end spoilers**

anyway this is a discussion for another time and place, for now we'll agree to disagree

Well we may have different view tbh I dont fine hellsing dark or Claymor, Just the mass populace do, I however consider claymore one of my favorites in my top 5 at least, even if the ending murdered the manga..

**spoilers**when the first magic girl got her head bitten off i was so happy it was crazy , god i ahted her, but by ur view i guess we cna consider it a dark anime just becasue i liked how she died =D