Page 1 of 7
... LastLast

One of my friends might be in some pretty legit trouble here.

So I was talking to one of my friends earlier, and found out she might get in quite a bit of trouble here. Charter caught her downloading music illegally, even thought it was only one CD worth of songs (like 13 or 14, I forgot how many it was). This is her first offense (she's only 16), and I told her that I would help her out with this because of the occasional good friend that I am. Her parents are afraid that they might get sued, and with that I exhausted all of the information that I know. I promised her that I would help her, except I have no clue what I need to Google. I was hoping that the people of MMO-Champion could lend me a helping hand to her.

All I can do is laugh at you for coming here expecting legal help.

Mod Edit: If you've got nothing useful to say, perhaps you shouldn't respond in this thread at all.
    Last edited by mmoc0fc091fcb6; 2011-04-18 at 01:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fazdran View Post
    All I can do is laugh at you for coming here expecting legal help.
    Except that I have seen people come here and get legal help, you should probably think before you talk next time. Just because you're a dick doesn't mean that everyone else on here is too.

Mod Edit: Don't insult people. Simply report them.
    Last edited by mmoc0fc091fcb6; 2011-04-18 at 01:45 PM.

well im no legal expert but if they have proof it was her and that she did it then i dont think theres much she can do. but isnt it not illegal if u dont try to make a profit off it or something? like movies?

Quote Originally Posted by Fazdran View Post
    And now I'm laughing even harder.
    I'm just going to say you're a troll, or a colossal asshole. Either way, if you don't have anything useful or productive to say, then stop posting.

Mod Edit: Please report it, rather than responding yourself.
    Last edited by mmoc0fc091fcb6; 2011-04-18 at 02:03 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    There isn't anything you can do about it. She won't get sued for the first offense. Maybe not the second or third even. No threatening letter = no legal recourse. Play it safe next time and don't worry about it.

Deleted
    First things first, how the hell did she manage to get caught downloading music? The only way I can imagine is if you'd walk into a federal office and scream it out loud enough for everyone and their grandmother to hear it.

Secondly, it depends on where you and your friend live.

Last but not least, I wouldn't worry too much as it's a minor offense - if she gets sued I would be extremely surprised unless it's some sort of local artist that's broke, assuming it's not I think what your friend is looking at is a fine, hell, maybe not even that.

buy wireless router leave un passworded blame neighbors?

more like colossus smash

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SomewhatInsane View Post
    First things first, how the hell did she manage to get caught downloading music? The only way I can imagine is if you'd walk into a federal office and scream it out loud enough for everyone and their grandmother to hear it.

Secondly, it depends on where you and your friend live.

Last but not least, I wouldn't worry too much as it's a minor offense - if she gets sued I would be extremely surprised unless it's some sort of local artist that's broke, assuming it's not I think what your friend is looking at is a fine, hell, maybe not even that.
    Parties attached to major releases generally scour the internet after the debut and report any peer IP #s that are downloading.

Said party contacts ISP, ISP gives user a warning. Said party usually doesn't take further action. That's it in a nutshell.

you would get a letter through the door asking for a fine (this is how it is in Europe anyway)

if she has no letter then she just has been caught by someone else but not charged, probably a warning. Isn't charter an ISP anyway? they probably said just don't do it again we are warning you against legal action ... etc... just make sure she doesn't download nothing from a private tracker!! that is the biggest problem.

IDK if it can work like roms, but have her go and buy the CD she downloaded, then she could possible defend herself by saying she wanted a copy of it on her harddrive since discs aren't durable.

LOL ive gotten like 50 letters from charter for download infringment. i fold em up and make paper airplanes out of em.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by weshallarise View Post
    buy wireless router leave un passworded blame neighbors?
    Yeah.. no.

Dude, nothing will happen, I've had these accusations and e-mails and letters from all the major cable companies telling me to stop torrenting movies, but, really, unless you do it non-stop, 24/7 with over 3 gigs a day, nothing will be done.

Plus, she's a minor. Her parents get in trouble, not her.

This happens often. Just google "Charter caught me downloading." You'll get hundreds of posts from various forums about this. And find tools to prevent them from tracking it.
    Last edited by Kyyrr; 2011-04-18 at 03:37 AM.

I highly doubt they will sue you, they generally send you info like that to scare you. They wont come after 1 person, its not worth it for them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Callace View Post
    Parties attached to major releases generally scour the internet after the debut and report any peer IP #s that are downloading.

Said party contacts ISP, ISP gives user a warning. Said party usually doesn't take further action. That's it in a nutshell.
    Realistically, the party that owns the copyright won't take legal action unless it's something extreme like selling copies or mass downloads.

Quote Originally Posted by Callace View Post
    There isn't anything you can do about it. She won't get sued for the first offense. Maybe not the second or third even. No threatening letter = no legal recourse. Play it safe next time and don't worry about it.
    That's good news at least, I'll pass the message along to her. I'm sure that her and her parents will be relieved to hear that. Thank you very much for the help.

Um... you can be charged for downloading music in the US?.

Ok.... HAHAHAHAHAHAH. Sorry guys, but (just like Boub said once), I knew that being Uruguaian would be useful sometime.

Quote Originally Posted by Slammin Shaman View Post
    So I was talking to one of my friends earlier, and found out she might get in quite a bit of trouble here. Charter caught her downloading music illegally, even thought it was only one CD worth of songs (like 13 or 14, I forgot how many it was). This is her first offense (she's only 16), and I told her that I would help her out with this because of the occasional good friend that I am. Her parents are afraid that they might get sued, and with that I exhausted all of the information that I know. I promised her that I would help her, except I have no clue what I need to Google. I was hoping that the people of MMO-Champion could lend me a helping hand to her.
    Tell her to go out and buy the CD, you can "illegally" download games, console BIOS and music and authorities cannot do a single thing about it as long as you own a physical retail copy.

edit: left out that they cant do anything to you