Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    I wouldn't worry too much, unless someone started a holy war on piracy and wants to make an example, cases like these usually don't end up in fines. They try to get the big birds, people who actually upload the stuff, especially the famous ones (aXXo probably being the most famous). If I'm not mistaken, part of what you pay for empty cd's/dvd's are taxes that also go to record label companies (I could be wrong here but that's what I heard).

If you download a cd/game, and you like it, buy it though,to support the company.

Deleted
    Where are you from? US, UK or EU?

If you're in the UK:

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/n...rs-know-it.ars

US:

http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20060727/1131227.shtml

The US one is kinda old (I'm not from the US so don't really keep up on it) but the UK one is from this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Silentsnipe1212 View Post
    well im no legal expert but if they have proof it was her and that she did it then i dont think theres much she can do. but isnt it not illegal if u dont try to make a profit off it or something? like movies?
    Hey Asshole.

You're posts are in no way constructive. If you got nothing that's worthy for the OP or others that read the thread to say, then stay quiet.

Don't flame our users.
    Last edited by Fuzzzie; 2011-04-18 at 08:58 AM.
    When I want to log out, where's the save button? I can't find it anywhere, been logged in for three years now.

Quote Originally Posted by jvbastel View Post

If you download a cd/game, and you like it, buy it though,to support the company.
    I agree with a game, but not a CD. I have been to numerous concerts and have had conversations with the musicians themselves. i've been told many times something along the lines of: "Download our music if you like it, and hand us cash if you support us"

Bands get pennies per cd sold. I've got two friends in the recording industry.

EDIT: changed "movie" to "CD" damn drowsiness setting in.
    If people criticized the Bible as much as they criticize WOW we'd all be atheists.

Deleted
    The chances of her getting sued because of that are less than 1%. So...yeah...is she using peerguardian etc stuff? Allowing incoming legal connections in her torrenting program?
    Don't tell me she was -notsonicesoiwontsayit- enough to download from some streaming page or someshit? One advertising 100% Free music downloads?
    Most of the peeps getting caught are either 1. using unprotected router or 2. Allowing all connections in their torrenting program or 3. Downloading...from...sites...advertising 100% free music or games or whatever.
    Personally, I prefer to use youtube downloader whenever I feel like I don't want to torrent the music.

Oh and the very small offchance that she does get sued...she can kiss her life for the next 5-10 years goodbye(If you're in the US)

Herald of the Titans RaoBurning's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    http://www.peerblock.com/

I use this to monitor who/what is trying to contact my PC, and smack them down like little bugs. Easy to set up and nice functionality, even outside piracy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    This is America. We always have warm dead bodies.
    if we had confidence that the President clearly did not commit a crime, we would have said that.

According to the Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA), the illegal downloading and copying of music is classed under U.S. law as a crime. Sound recordings distributed on the Internet are subject to federal copyright law.

Illegal Downloads
    The illegal downloading of music is prosecuted for two forms of criminal offenses. The RIAA reports prosecution of Internet users who upload sound recordings to Internet sites for others to download and those who download songs from the Internet.

NET
    The No Electronic Theft (NET) Act was signed into U.S. law in 1997 by President Clinton. The Wired Safety website reports NET allows for prosecution of illegally downloaded music even when no attempt is made to gain financially from the download.

Prosecution
    The RIAA reports U.S. law allows for both civil and criminal prosecution for illegal music downloads. Criminal prosecutions for illegal music downloads for first-time offenders can result in up to five years jail time and $250,000 fines. Civil prosecutions provide a minimum fine of $750 per illegally downloaded song.

-

I just google random things (Would be nice to know which state you guys live in, not sure if i just missed it or anything)

Quote Originally Posted by Bullhurley View Post
    I might be wrong but making illegal copies of music is what the copyright stands for. I know as many years as it has been availble people having been dubbing copies of tapes, cds or what ever to friends for free and never had anything to worry about. I think the reason behind that is the fact that they had to buy blank tapes or cds which a ton of those are privately owned by the record production companies.
    That exists in lots of EU countries and it is some kind of tax.Downloading movies and music is not illegal(uploading is another thing) because the data holders(except hard drives) have some kind of built in tax in their price.For example a DVD in my country costs almost 1 EUR and the same DVD costs 20 euro cents in the neighbor country(because that is the real price,the rest is just tax what the music/movie etc. industry gets).

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nudi View Post
    By downloading it, you prevent the producer and artist from making money off it, thus stealing from them. Same goes for movies, as you don't buy them - duh.
    Not true, I found a band called Lunatica, had never heard of them before and I downloaded some songs from them. Ended up with me buying the CDs instead because I liked what I heard.

Same goes for BSG, I watched some episodes which were downloaded, decided to buy the whole series on DVD! Wouldn't have bought it if I didn't get around to watching some downloaded episodes.

Demonoid. Go.

OP, the notice is most likely your ISP sending you a "we got a threat from the company so we're sending you this notice to slap you on the wrist and tell you not to do it again" notice. Don't respond to it. They can't even prove it was her anyway if she used an unsecured wireless connection, and no way to prove it was her who actually downloaded the material. She is responsible for nothing so the ISP can basically take the notice and shove it

Quote Originally Posted by skrump View Post
    It is still illegal when done for nonprofit however she is a minor so will most likely get hit with like a $2500 fine and a few years probation along with some community service.
    If the law really wanted to be dicks about it they could pull the girls drivers license until she reached the age of 18 or even send her to a juvenile facility for a few months.
    No. Gave me a good laugh though, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeke View Post
    Oh and the very small offchance that she does get sued...she can kiss her life for the next 5-10 years goodbye(If you're in the US)
    Unsecured wireless connection = case dismissed. IP addresses aren't proof of the person who downloaded the material in question
    Last edited by zordayn; 2011-04-18 at 06:28 PM.

Partying in Valhalla
    15+ Year Old Account
    It's most likely just a cease and desist letter. The isp most likely received something like this.
    It happens and most likely will go un-acted upon. The exception could be that I've seen a few people have their internet disconnected, but nothing beyond that for the first time.
    Most likely. =D

i believe you can use the "i was just downloading a computer file excuse

I have illegally downloaded 2 TB (~2000GB) and uploaded 3 TB (~3000GB)
    Am I in trouble? Ruh-oh.

Deleted
    You are allowed to have 1 extra copy of everything you own. How you get that copy is up to you, but in the law its: 1 copied product.
    If you downloaded it or not, if you have the original item you are allowed to have it.

It's true they don't go after single users. Users who download a music cd or movie for own use once in a while is not worth the cost.
    Usually they go after users who have their pc on 24/7 downloading everything they can get there hands on and thus creating a huge down/upload data. This could possible hinder other users (Think of a flat apartment or something similar) These people get warned.

If they caught you selling burned and downloaded items though, you are in serious trouble.
    It's also true, they sometimes make an "example" of small users.

But I doubt there will be any problem, just delete it or get an original copy if you want to be extra safe.

Quote Originally Posted by zordayn View Post
    Unsecured wireless connection = case dismissed. IP addresses aren't proof of the person who downloaded the material in question
    It's not case dismissed because you're internet service is what did it, so they don't care if you did it or your neighbor who is stealing your internet did. It's your responsibly to lock the wireless connection, as I have seen people fined because of someone else downloading stuff through their internet. The system knows people will use this excuse so it won't hold up in court. This is all of course saying it gets that far, but don't think for a second that "I didn't know" would do any good.

As long as you don't tell us what country you're from nobody can help you... because the laws concerning this are quite different. In some countrys it's not even illegal at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Doylez View Post
    As long as you don't tell us what country you're from nobody can help you... because the laws concerning this are quite different. In some countrys it's not even illegal at all.
    I'm fairly sure it's illegal in pretty much all countries

15+ Year Old Account
    I've gotten like 4 warning letters from Charter. Those were 3 years ago.

Reminds me of Metallica back when Napster was a big deal. Was good times back then.
    Yea Lars went overboard with trying to get people banned. I was one of them. I was using the same name for Napster that i use for this forum. Didn't take long to get pinched.