Angry What am I doing wrong? (DPS)

Hey guys,

I have been playing fire for a bit now and I can't seem to outdps much. Yes my DPS is good but not as good as it should be compared to others. I get outdpsed my Arcane Mages with heroic gear. I must be doing something terribly wrong, right? Here is my rotation..Scorch(move into place),Orb,Living Bomb, spam firebolt and manage Pyroblast procs. I keep LB up(I dont clip), I make sure to use scorch to keep critical mass up if needed, I use combustion when I have a good ignite (firebolt or Pyroblast). On burn phases I use my mirror images and racial (Orc). So, what am I doing wrong? Can anyone help me?

Armory: us.battle.net/wow/en/character/firetree/vect%C3%B8r/advanced

Are you talking about random dungeons? Arcane is better in short fights, has good burst but low overall dps. Maybe that's it?

You might be looking at the wrong chart. Arcane will almost always beat fire on a DPS chart because of their high burst. On overall damage, however, it's almost always the opposite. Especially on high mobility fights (which is most of them) where arcane can barely do any damage at all (Arcane barrage, flame orb and Ice Lance), while fire can spam scorch (for free, no less), refresh living bomb, flamestrike, fire blast, hot streak procs, combustion and flame orb.

I've stopped looking at the DPS charts altogether since it doesn't mean anything. You can do all your high-burst abilities and die and still be at the top of the chart, but overall your damage is minimal. I just look at the overall damage done chart.
    Last edited by Del821; 2011-04-18 at 02:04 PM.

dps charts that dont use the lenth of the entire fight and just what you dps'd on fail and you should only use dmg done but for WoL it uses the length of the fight so if you die rigth after CDs you dps will still be low. if im remembering right i dont wanna check cuz i just got off work

Shouldn't your combust always follow a pyroblast? Since pyroblast leaves another dot?

I haven't done any theory crafting but it seems to me that if you have an on use trinket. you do your rotations as normal until you get a hot streak proc. Then you pop your trinket, pyroblast, living bomb, hope they crit and then combust. I dunno if thats right I guess I am also asking cause I am still learning to dps on my mage.

Without logs it's hard to comment. A lot of mages make claims about what they are doing without realizing they're not doing it well enough. Also Flame Orb precombustion can be a dps gain or loss... it's a gain if you don't manage to eat a big ignite, but the chances are pretty high you will eat a big ignite due to the bug so it's best to avoid using it until immediately after combustion.

Shouldn't have to move into position on too many fights either so better to have a tank count down and time your pyroblast hardcast to his count down...

Other than that can't offer too much.

Dreadlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    [QUOTE=Thnika;11132746]Shouldn't your combust always follow a pyroblast? Since pyroblast leaves another dot?QUOTE]

i think making sure you use combust when u got a sweet ignite is better than making sure pyro dot is on too
    ........THE WRITING'S ON THE WALL !!!!!

Pyro is the smallest percentage of damage of a combustion.

LB and a big ignite = let that combustion fly. Still some RNG as to whether the ignite rolled into the combustion will match the one you've just seen, but RNG and fire have always gone hand-in-hand.

It's better to wait for a big ignite than to try and combust with only 4-8k ticks of ignite showing.
    Just another bad mage playing his class badly...
    Worst Mage EVAR!

Download the Combustion Helper mod (check Curse.com) which will allow you track what your ignite is ticking for at any given time while combustion is available.

DPS issues.. What are you pulling for DPS in raids? My similarly geared mage averages 17k DPS (20k on boss fights though RNG means +/-) overall without benefit of a boomkin or shadowpriest.

You maybe wasting haste over 12.5% and more so if you have a boomkin in the raid which adds 5% haste.

Priority seems to be Int > Hit (17%) > Crit > Haste (12.5%)

I usually wait for ignite to tick for 20k+ before using combustion though ignite munching can be a bitch. If there are multiple mobs use blastwave or flamestrike to proc impact and hit the mob with the dots with fireblast to spread all ticking dots to the rest of the mobs in the vicinity. Big DPS boost. Note Living Bomb can only be active on 3 mobs at the same time.

Lastnight in BoT I pulled 60K dps on a trash pull and I am quite sure there are mages out there making that look like a joke.

[QUOTE=invader;11137291]
    Quote Originally Posted by Thnika View Post
    Shouldn't your combust always follow a pyroblast? Since pyroblast leaves another dot?QUOTE]

i think making sure you use combust when u got a sweet ignite is better than making sure pyro dot is on too
    To make sure you have the best ignite you need to pyro. The ignite you get from pyroblast is by far the best one for combustion.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

[QUOTE=Tyrven;11153765]
    Quote Originally Posted by invader View Post

To make sure you have the best ignite you need to pyro. The ignite you get from pyroblast is by far the best one for combustion.
    Yeah, but you're not always going to get a pyro when all your trinkets are up. The best pyro is one that comes when all your trinkets are up. If you wait for a pyro after your trinkets are down it will be a lot worse than the one you could have had with fireball.

As far as the guy above you giving advice suggesting haste is only good to 12.5%... that entirely depends on other buffs you receive as well. If you get DI you go for a lot more than 12.5%... aside from this haste is actually generally the better stat because crit causes more ignite munching.

Run a sim to be sure.