Thread: Tank question

Tank question

Been tanking on a Prot warrior for awhile now and usually don't have threat issues and always have my taunt ready when needed. My normal start for mob is heroic throw, charge, shield slam, devastate x 2. Lately I have had the pleasure of a couple of really good ret pallies in pugs pulling of me right at the onset of the fight. Within the first 200 threat generated using omen. Once I taunt, I never lose threat a second time and by the end of the fight am usually about 3 to 1 on the dps. Is there something that ret pallies have that generate a lot of threat instantly or is my rotation off? This is happened twice and both times the pallies were 15k or better on the mob. Haven't had the same issues with ranged so just wondering.

Thanks

Is it happening on all mobs or just bosses?

It's not you, it's them most likely.

10+ Year Old Account
    after the first time you notice someone pulling off you in the beginging of a fight, ask all dps to count to 5 before attacking, or even 10 if you need it
    5 gives you 4 GCds, and anything not on the GCD ( charge???) you shouldn't need 10 in your situation

10+ Year Old Account
    If you hit the train tracks you've gone to far.
    Ret paladins seem to have some crazy burst or something. When I tank my randoms on my warrior and my buddy comes along (mind you he's only got 346 gear with rep epics) and he does crazy burst at the beginning of each fight, it's quite annoying.

Pop your shield block during the charge. The 100% increaced damage from the shield slam draws snap agro.

pallys and warriors seem to pull the highest threat on mobs as long as they're not getting eaten you'll be okay as mobs die fast enough. What's your ilevel too? I notice once my ilevel was higher and gotten a higher dmg main hand it's alot harder to have people pull off me. Though i'm a prot pally myself ^.^

Also dont forget to pop shockwave. I know its not as high in the priority but I put it right after shield slam for the opener for one reason. Unlike revenge, and devestate, it cant be dodged or parried.

Quote Originally Posted by Dameondark View Post
    Been tanking on a Prot warrior for awhile now and usually don't have threat issues and always have my taunt ready when needed. My normal start for mob is heroic throw, charge, shield slam, devastate x 2. Lately I have had the pleasure of a couple of really good ret pallies in pugs pulling of me right at the onset of the fight. Within the first 200 threat generated using omen. Once I taunt, I never lose threat a second time and by the end of the fight am usually about 3 to 1 on the dps. Is there something that ret pallies have that generate a lot of threat instantly or is my rotation off? This is happened twice and both times the pallies were 15k or better on the mob. Haven't had the same issues with ranged so just wondering.

Thanks
    I've noticed similar threat issues with rets in raids, strong at the beginning but not a big deal over time. I'm a pally tank, btw, not that it matters in this case.
    Remember ranged have to pull 130% threat to grab aggro and melee only have to pull 110% so ranged have to be much higher than a melee to pull, if you get a couple of misses/dodges/parries a ret will tear off of you pretty quick, but like you said you'll be fine thereafter.