Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

portal and half-life

can someone tell me all portal references to half-life ?

It's not a whole lot of information we got, about the references between Half-Life and Portal. However, what we do know, is that Aperture Science is in a competetion with Black Mesa, but all the questions about why and so on, stay unknown. In Portal (the first game), there was a room, where you could see through a window, and see a slideshow, and if i remember correct, Black Mesa was mentioned. Try to search on google, or youtube for that!

But i do hope, that in Half-Life episode 3, we will found out more. Perhaps G-Man, or Gordon Freeman have som sort of connection with Portal? We can only dream and hope, but right now we are low on information
    Last edited by Iamsylar; 2011-04-22 at 11:10 PM.
    H E R O E S

\ "When I was a kid ... I used to wish some stranger would come and tell me my family wasn't really my family. They weren't bad people, they were just ... insignificant. And I wanted to be different. Special. I wanted to change. A new name, a new life. The watchmaker's son ... became a watchmaker. It is so futile. And I wanted to be ... important." \
    Sylar

10+ Year Old Account
    And for whatever reason Cave Johnson hated Black Mesa like no other

10+ Year Old Account
    someone knows how to turn subtitles in portal just like in half-life 2?

Doirdyn, the reason Cave hated Black Mesa was because they were competing companies and Black Mesa managed to release similar products to his before he could ever churn anything out. This is all explained in in-game dialogue from the recordings of Cave Johnson in the underground test facility. He is bankrupt and dying because he can't pay testers anymore, so he buys $7 worth of moon rocks and turns it into a powder that he injects himself with and slowly dies. His hatred for Black Mesa is from the fact that Black Mesa ruined his life.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Khatolic View Post
    someone knows how to turn subtitles in portal just like in half-life 2?
    Could you make more sense? :S

---------- Post added 2011-04-22 at 07:16 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by schoenkid37 View Post
    Doirdyn, the reason Cave hated Black Mesa was because they were competing companies and Black Mesa managed to release similar products to his before he could ever churn anything out. This is all explained in in-game dialogue from the recordings of Cave Johnson in the underground test facility. He is bankrupt and dying because he can't pay testers anymore, so he buys $7 worth of moon rocks and turns it into a powder that he injects himself with and slowly dies. His hatred for Black Mesa is from the fact that Black Mesa ruined his life.
    I remember all that, I didn't hear the part about them releasing products earlier though.

Also a fun fact: The abandoned facility was vitrified in ~65, and still being used up to 78. xD

There's a poster of the city in one of the really old office compartments when you play portal 2. It shows the city with a giant vortex/portal in the middle of it. Seeing as those offices haven't been used in many years even during portal 1, the portal series take place years after the half-life series. At least if it's truly a clue, could be just a random joke. Up to the players to decide for themselves, I guess. ^^

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Doirdyn View Post

---------- Post added 2011-04-22 at 07:16 PM ----------

I remember all that, I didn't hear the part about them releasing products earlier though.

Also a fun fact: The abandoned facility was vitrified in ~65, and still being used up to 78. xD
    i dont have subtitles in portal. how to turn them on that i see it written everything they say

I fixed it for you, since you seem to have trouble understanding written text if it isn't perfect grammar.

Quote Originally Posted by Khatolic
    someone knows how to turn ON subtitles in portal just like in half-life 2?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by krillianlol View Post
    I fixed it for you, since you seem to have trouble understanding written text if it isn't perfect grammar.
    Yeah, because that's really how it is. I understand he may not be a native English speaker, but should at least put some effort or thought into a post.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, because that's really how it is. I understand he may not be a native English speaker, but should at least put some effort or thought into a post.
    i missed ON. thats all.

Or, considering the topic it could be, you know, a disability. Cool one, kid.
    Regardless, it wasn't even a hard sentence to read, I immediately keyed in on what word was missing since theres only really one thing one ever 'turns', in regards to subtitles. and that's on/off.

Who gives a crap about subs anyway. xD
    The voice acting is great, yet another thing the series have in common.

10+ Year Old Account
    can someone actually answer to my question instead of just arguing ? i'm not a native english speaker, can we get over it ?

---------- Post added 2011-04-23 at 01:30 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Auralan View Post
    because i dont understand everything that is said and would like to read it instead

Quote Originally Posted by Khatolic View Post
    can someone actually answer to my question instead of just arguing ? i'm not a native english speaker, can we get over it ?

---------- Post added 2011-04-23 at 01:30 AM ----------

because i dont understand everything that is said and would like to read it instead
    I don't think you can. I once saw a youtube clip, with subtitles, but i believe it was a Xbox or PlayStation version - or something, maybe a test version.

---------- Post added 2011-04-22 at 11:49 PM ----------

The voice acting is great, yet another thing the series have in common.
    The voices are great, no doubht. The sound, the music, everything is amazing, SOUNDS amazing! But some people, just can't understand things, as good. Me, for example, I hear relatively poorly compared to others, since I have a hearing impairment, which means i will miss a word or two - and that's not good, in such a amazing game, with such a amazing storyline! Right?
    H E R O E S

\ "When I was a kid ... I used to wish some stranger would come and tell me my family wasn't really my family. They weren't bad people, they were just ... insignificant. And I wanted to be different. Special. I wanted to change. A new name, a new life. The watchmaker's son ... became a watchmaker. It is so futile. And I wanted to be ... important." \
    Sylar

Black Mesa and Aperture Science have been bitter rivals because they wanted Department of Defense contacts. Also they were racing to finish Portal technology done first. Black Mesa partially succeeded at first but they ended up summoning the Combine and ultimately dooming Earth.

You can have subtitles go to audio options and its there

10+ Year Old Account
    And for whatever reason Cave Johnson hated Black Mesa like no other
    Because he feels that Black Mesa stole his company's ideas as well as a string of failed products.

SPOILER AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH:

You can go to Borealis' drydock in Portal 2. It has gone/vanished just like you are told in Half Life 2.

There's a poster of the city in one of the really old office compartments when you play portal 2. It shows the city with a giant vortex/portal in the middle of it. Seeing as those offices haven't been used in many years even during portal 1, the portal series take place years after the half-life series. At least if it's truly a clue, could be just a random joke. Up to the players to decide for themselves, I guess. ^^
    I haven't seen the poster you're referring to, but the 'series' most certainly does not take place years after Half-Life. Portal 1 takes place shortly after the combine invasion, and GLaDOS makes several references to them. Portal 2 takes place years afterward, but it's probably still in the time frame. Gabe Newell mentioned that Chell would have some sort of significance with some characters we already know.

Besides the numerous references to the combine and black mesa...I noticed something rather curious.

Spoilers:

After Wheatley takes over and GLaDOS is reduced to a potato, she is kidnapped by a Crow...4000 meters below the earth's surface. Anyone see anything wrong with this? The same crow shows up later (very far away from where it was first spotted), but then flies away once it sees Chell and GLaDOS.

Now, where do we see crows in Half-Life? With the G-man, of course. People have argued with me that they just reused the Crow model because they needed a bird, but why not recolor it? Further more, what would ANY bird be doing that far into the crust?
    By Blood and Honor We Serve!