Page 1 of 10
... LastLast

The state of pug raiding in cata

TLDR Version at the bottom , probably should just skip to that...

I'm the kind of player who absolutley refuses to put in an application w/ a bunch of ridiculous info for a damn guild so as far as raiding goes for me its either pugs or join a mediocre guild.

I tried being in mediocre guilds , In 1 they could kill about half the bosses in each of the raids that are out now on reg mode... but for some reason even though my dps was stronger than 90% of their "core" members I was considered "back up" and rarely even got to go to their mediocre raids. Then I joined a different mediocre guild w/ only 1 10 man group and there just ended up being no spots for the classes I actually wanted to raid on because they already had established those spots w/ people of those roles.... anyway they could only manage half of the bosses on reg mode anyway as well... I pretty quickly just gquit that one and just gave up and joined a strictly social guild w/ a zillion members just for perks and chit chat. Which brings me to having no raiding but pugs....

On my server (Magtheridon) theres almost no pug raids going on ever (That aren't BH).

The few times a day that one pops up they seem to be guild runs that had a few no shows and only need like 1 or 2 members and whatever I'm on isn't what they need and by the time I could log onto something appropriate the spots filled. Or simply for no damn reason I'll PST and get no response at all.

Point is , getting into a pug raid since cata has been hard because they are few and far between , strictly seeming to be 10mans as well and then IF I even get in one traditionally they will just fail magmaw/halfus 3-4 times and all ragequit... with the at best pug groups downing magmaw in BWD , and best downing Halfus+Dragons in BoT

Its pretty sucky and I have resorted to lvling alt after alt for no reason just to kill time... I'm hoping 4.1 (or 4.2) and the stronger gear and possible boss nerfs will bring back the way things were in WOTLK where like 10 different pugs were going on constantly and actually succeeding to at least a decent degree

So how bad is the state of pug raiding on your servers? Is there any server out there thats constantly doing real pure pugs (Not 6/10ths of a guild run or something) and actually sort-of succeeding? I have started to consider finding a new server and making a new character there in hopes of actually raiding

TLDR? :
    1.I won't put in applications for guilds.

2.I tried guilds that required no app but they didn't show me respect despite being a stronger & better player than their core members.

3.There aren't enough pugs going on on my server , when there are they usually fail or don't need my chars. (Things weren't like this in WOTLK...)

4.Does your server have a better pug raid life going on? If so whats your server so I can come sit in SW on a lvl 1 and see for myself.

I was having much the same problem on my old server. My guild was very small, we lost a lot of members at expansion release, and were unable to recruit due to server size. No pugs ran on this server. Ever.

I recently transferred to US-Kil'Jaeden, and the grass is ACTUALLY greener. Pugs usually get 2 or 3/4 BoT or 3/6 BWD on average, with some going farther, and they tend to run at most times of day. They are usually 10m.

10+ Year Old Account
    Our server (alliance side) has 9 guilds that are 10/12 or better, and 3 that have more than Halfus done on hard mode. I have never seen a PuG besides BH that's not BOT Trash farming. Sometimes I see one form on a Sunday or Monday night for stragglers, but they're always back in /2 recruiting after 15 minutes.

If you're as great as you say you are, hopefully this post will lead you to a server that has more competative, but mediocre (no application) guilds. Your awesome attitude wouldn't get you very far in our guild either, even if you outdps some of them.

You should probably suck it up and put in an app for a decent guild.

@ Daetur : Are you Alliance or Horde just for refference?

@ Gritty : Sounds as bad as my server I forgot to mention how alot of what there even is is BoT trash , I don't think its wrong to be pissed when people who do signifigantly less dmg are given guild repairs and raid spot priority over you and then gquit alot of guilds have real life friend clique type crap going on where they don't care if you're better you're still an outsider
    Last edited by BTF777; 2011-04-19 at 05:29 AM.

The Unstoppable Force Resentful's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cryoh View Post
    As harsh as this sounds, you have to do this OP or you can miserable I guess

Quote Originally Posted by BTF777 View Post
    @ Daetur : Are you Alliance or Horde just for refference?

@ Gritty : Sounds as bad as my server I forgot to mention how alot of what there even is is BoT trash
    I'm Alliance on KJ, but it's a fairly balanced server, so if you're Horde or prefer Horde, it shouldn't be too different.

Quote Originally Posted by Cryoh View Post
    This, at least until 4.2 is out and pug raids will be back to the WotLK normality.

Why not put in an app? Would you rather spend time and money to down less content instead of filling out an app?
    Whaleshark /spits on your science.

I just think applications are obnoxious... they should just sit there and inspect your char and if they need your class/spec and you're gemmed/enchanted correctly just invite you in and start bringing you.... then just boot you if you turn out to somehow be a massive moron. It's ridiculous to ask for all this other crap on an application sent outside of the game itself

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by sicness View Post
    This, at least until 4.2 is out and pug raids will be back to the WotLK normality.
    This kinda With the new stuff soon to come everyone can get geared out fast.

10+ Year Old Account
    Another note: Why don't you start your own guild? I'm sure you can pick up 12 people on your server that are willing/wanting to clear more content.

Just generally speaking, a PUG will do worse than a guild group that have been playing together for a while. From what i gather, a successful PUG is able to down maybe 6-8 bosses (halfus, twins, conclave, omnitron, magmaw, maloriak, chimeron). I'm sure most people would agree downing all those in a PUG raid would be considered absolutely successful.

Now that being said, most average PUG's end up doing only 1 instance for various reasons. (some people are saved to Throne of the 4 winds, or BoT for example.) That already limits your raid to say 6 bosses of BWD. So if your current situation of downing a couple bosses in a single raid instance sucks then your only other option would be to level an alt (like you are doing now), level a profession, PVP, or apply to a successful raiding guild.

If you will absolutely not apply to a raiding guild, then your options are then limited to the other 3 I mentioned and when PUGs overgear the current raid content by 4.1 or 4.2. Otherwise, I really wouldn't complain about how limited your raiding experience is because thats how it is.

Ironic.

If you'd spend half the time on an application as you do complaining about how you refuse to apply to a guild, you'd probably already be experiencing greener pastures.

I am one of those people that love to play alts. I get them geared then watch them collect dust because i cant get into a decent raid to save my life. Im used to being able to raid 5 or 6 days a week on alts and with the launch of cata that has sadly came to an end.

Transfer to shattered hand alliance...we pug all the time...just the other week my guild ended up not raiding due to lack of attendance, so i put a pug together, downed 5/6 in BwD then did conclave of winds.

I just think applications are obnoxious... they should just sit there and inspect your char and if they need your class/spec and you're gemmed/enchanted correctly just invite you in and start bringing you.... then just boot you if you turn out to somehow be a massive moron. It's ridiculous to ask for all this other crap on an application sent outside of the game itself
    Most of the standard apps ask questions like "explain your rotation, healing priority, etc", "run a connection test to determine your latency", "Past raiding experience". Stuff that can't be really found in the armory. Most raiding guilds that are competitive will want someone that is really on the ball than bring someone simply by inspecting their armory. If you find it obnoxious, then don't apply. No one is forcing you.

The Unstoppable Force Resentful's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Sorry, but some guilds just want the right people.

Actually alot of apps of more then that. My guild does the app to see what kind of experience you have in the game, if you understand your class mechanics right(even though you may be gemmed/chanted right. Anyone can look at a guide and do that). Also to see you guild history.
    Back on topic, I guess it depends on servers really. My server has a few pugs clearing 3/4 bot 4/6 BWD 2/2 Throne, some even clearing BoT.

The Lightbringer
    15+ Year Old Account
    Cata has been out for what? Almost 5 months and most people can only pug the first two bosses, like some said best thing to do is throw up an app or transfer to another server to find a decent guild that would assure you a spot. I don't think this content will be puggable till late into the Firelands probably.