Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by Critcryin View Post
    I (Feral Druid, Worgen) run the gongs in my group. It's best to have one dedicated person call out when to hit the gong. Also, those low level speed potions help a lot. If someone gets targeted for air phase, have them pop a potion, or even better a CD based speed boost. Priest bubbles, sprint, leap, blink, etc. Even our resto druid goes into kitty and pops dash!

Usually, the way we handle the gongs is, First searing - Gong -> Hero/Bloodlust/Time Warp -> Gongx3, waiting for the dazed debuff on the boss to disappear before hitting each gong. After this, one in each phase. Reduce or increase the number of gongs used based on your DPS, but be sure to use Hero/Bloodlust/Time Warp right at a gong hit for ground phase.
    Nice tip on the Bloodlust there, Critcrying. Will try that next time!

Vol
    Guild master of Sentinels (http://www.sentinelsguild.com)
    Author of http://www.wowchamber.com

About our raid composition: It's a 10 man guild and last tries we were a bit heavy on the ranged due to attendency issues. We had 2 priests, a mage, a warlock, a warrior and a pally on the dps-side. So, no problem with Leap of Faith cooldowns there. Myself as mage is usually the designated gong-clicker.
    "MMMMMMMButtscratcher!"

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ChuckyFuS View Post
    don't stand in the fire
    ^ This is the best tactic

15+ Year Old Account
    Shitty thing about Atra and several of the BWD encounters (especially heroic) is that you could execute it next to perfectly and a little bit of RNG could wipe you.

All you can do is pray to RNG-sus and hope that your soul is found worthy.

ground phase:

- avoid Sonar Discs
    - person targeted by Sonic Breath moves in circle motion one side, raid moves a bit other side
    - use gong for Searing Flame

air phase:

- start running in advance (1-2s before phase)
    - person targeted by Roaring Flame Breath runs around the room as long as possible (use racials, anything that makes you faster - we use Swiftness Potion) and eventually person assigned to gong uses it
    - AVOID zones, Sonar Bomb is bad
    - keep moving all the time

you probably won't kill the boss with 2 members dead or 1 dps dead from beginning of the fight

GL

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Alyngwen View Post
    About our raid composition: It's a 10 man guild and last tries we were a bit heavy on the ranged due to attendency issues. We had 2 priests, a mage, a warlock, a warrior and a pally on the dps-side. So, no problem with Leap of Faith cooldowns there. Myself as mage is usually the designated gong-clicker.
    Warrior is much better for gong kiting imho. Heroic leap, intervene ftw. Blink is dwarfed by that. Also, it's a waste to put ranged on this duty when they can dps pretty well in airphase, at least on normal mode.
    If people fail at running from the beam in airphase, make them use swiftness pots. It's not needed in normal, but you can try it. Everyone must be running when airphase starts. If you start to run when the beam is already targeting you, you're dead.
    Shammies and druids are also good kiters (hello travel forms), even healers can be safely assigned to gong in airphase. There is not much damage going on in that phase unless people fail.

Deleted
    Air phase no one should ever stand still before someone is targeted. Even then, just keep running.
    I generally click the gong in my guild, I don't look at were the beam is or the targets hp or wait for anyone to yell or whatever. I look at my DBM timer for when airphase is over. Depending on the class (Longer for classes with speedbuffs, shorter for classes without) I click it around 20-22 seconds left til groundphase. Then I start running like crazy myself.

Keypoint really is to not stand still as the beam targets you. If you're already moving, and for those who can, in ghostwolf/catform etc. it helps a lot.

Some very useful tips here. Thanks, will try it out tonight

Other question, what direction are people targetted running in order to avoid having flames everywhere during the next ground phase? Is this closest to the edge in a big circle? Or making use of the big space where the bell which summons Atramedes was standing?
    "MMMMMMMButtscratcher!"

Quote Originally Posted by Konik View Post
    ground phase:

- avoid Sonar Discs
    - person targeted by Sonic Breath moves in circle motion one side, raid moves a bit other side
    - use gong for Searing Flame

air phase:

- start running in advance (1-2s before phase)
    - person targeted by Roaring Flame Breath runs around the room as long as possible (use racials, anything that makes you faster - we use Swiftness Potion) and eventually person assigned to gong uses it
    - AVOID zones, Sonar Bomb is bad
    - keep moving all the time

you probably won't kill the boss with 2 members dead or 1 dps dead from beginning of the fight
    This is what we do, but we still have wipes from time to time. Atramedes, in general, sucks. Cute mechanic with the sound but it's somewhat borked from the get-go and is really unforgiving even on normal. The best is when he roaring flames on the ground. That was fun.

depending on raid dps you can also use a gong for the breath, helps a lot.

Being a worgen warlock I got stuck with kiting duty in air phase. I ring the gong almost instantly at the begining of air phase and I start running as soon as he focuses on me I hit dark flight. My teleporter is already placed and when dark flights drops off im a few yards from max range. I hit soul burn and teleport this gives me a 2nd speed buff. By this time air phase has 10 seconds left. A priest is waiting down the line for me and hits leap of faith. We established a set kiting path for me and this has all been worked out. I hardly ever get any sound in air phase doing this.

But this paticuler strat is based around me being worgen warlock

In the air phase, don't hit the gong as soon as the first person is targetted. Let that person kite for a few seconds. Otherwise, your designated kiter WILL get hit by the laser near the end of the phase, and either die outright, or end up with too high sound (as you said was happening). Everyone in the raid needs to be moving at the start of the air phase so that you don't get killed by the first laser if it targets you.

Use a mage with the blink sprint talent, glyph blink too if necessary

Quote Originally Posted by Resentful View Post
    Don't worry, even we wipe to this...

More then Sinestra -.-
    waitwtfseriously.jpg

Anyway. This boss is all about avoiding things. Doesn't matter what strat you use really, at the end of the day you still have to avoid stuff. That's really all it comes down to. I've downed the boss on heroic using several different strategies, can't say any one of them really make the fight any easier or harder.

What we do is have 2 groups, the ranged group and melee group, and then the tank. This forces the disks to go towards the same position (roughly) each time they come out. The general rule of this strat is if you get targeted with the breath you run towards the tank, and then everyone else runs the other way. The tanks back is facing towards the entrance, so as the ranged are on the right and the melee on the left. If you're ranged and you get targeted run right, everyone else left. Melee goes left, everyone else right.

That's really all it is, comes down to people paying attention and moving properly and avoiding stuff.

Aye it's a hard boss, problem is you need to kite for about 24 seconds in the air phase when he targets you and whoever hits the gong has to kite for the remainder of that, I'm doing gongs on a mage and the problem is people just can't kite for long enough so then I have to hit the gong and kite for about 14 seconds if not more and all I have is a blink and you can only use one speed pot per attempt.

We did manage to get it low, was around 7% I think but the healing is a bit of a problem in our raids as 2 are good whereas the 3rd, the resto shammy, is miles behind the other two and is usually the first to die, I also wouldn't have someone call out cooldowns such as searing flame because soon as they call it out your instincts tell you to use a gong, only to find his DBM is about 4 seconds slower than yours which means you fail.

People just move too slow, wrack up too high a sound level before a gong is even used and sometimes we're forced to use a gong before searing flame but the person on the gongs always gets the blame for a wipe and not the slackers taking an age to move.

Having said that, we got it to around 7% and still only used 5 gongs roughly so might benefit us to use gongs whenever needed instead of only using 1 per phase, no doubt we will spend another 2 nights trying to down it.
    Last edited by Naoto; 2011-04-20 at 07:31 AM.

Deleted
    Dont worry about using a lot of gongs, u have loads on normal mode. If you feel anyone is getting a bit high 60-70 just use one, as searing flame could push them over the sound barrier Also yeah have an assigned kiter, we use a elemental shaman in ghost wolf form. He is responsible for the gongs all the time, but pretty much any class can do it. Just pick your most competant dps. I've done it with hunters (aspect of pack + disengaging), locks (me), rogues (sprint), warriors (heroic leaping and intervening), mages (blinking), druids (cat form + sprint) just pick the guy u know wont mess it up

10+ Year Old Account
    Few tips: Mark someone, and have him move counterclockwise when the sound waves come out, everyone stacks on him, and only moves when called, so the waves don't spread too much.

Move around the "box" in the middle of the room.

Make sure you don't drag fire through the group.

Other then that, and timing gongs, its basically all down to people not messing up and getting sound, standing in fire, etc.

Deleted
    The way we do it is using option 2, but instead of only relying on the person getting chased calling it out, we help out. A good raid leader can both be on the move avoiding stuff and have an eye on the person getting chased.