Poll: What Do You Gear First?

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrakk View Post
    our guild is curently 8/13 hm and we are gearing our healer followed by our dps and finaly the tanks , we are raiding 10 man and we wipe not because the tanks get crushed , but because healer get oom over time
    They might be going Oom, cause they are healing the tanks more then they would have to, if they were geared /wink /wink ^^

if you are a world first guild you gear and healers first sens then you can survive for aslong as your ment to sens well your tanking are allways gonna take the same ammount of dmg and the healers allways needs to heal the same ammount and when sombody dose a world first they are kinda horribly undergeared to compaird to what your meant to do it in. but with a tank your can't really skimp on the gear or he dies fast while dps is more liniet seeing as these ppl are doing a flawless rotaion while allways moving away from everything,

but if your guild is not a world first guild there is no real point unless your tank keeps dieing and dieing and dieing to give him the right for all the gear (only happend once in the guild i was in for like 2 weeks)

We use EPGP, I also used it in my last guild. While not a perfect system it is very configurable so it allows for different vaues to be placed on items as needed.

It's pretty much DKP, with decay... and a little more fluctuation on awarding EP (points) for different contribution(s) to guild needs.

I agree with what a lot of people have posted, i.e- Skill, value of the player, who needs it most etc etc... but it's nice to have some sort of a guide to see how people have contributed to the guild via raiding, crafting mats etc.

Long story short: It's something you'll have to make a decision on either with your guild involved or with an iron fist, but rest assured: You NEED to put solid loot rules in place so there is no questioning WHY it went to someone instead of someone else.
    Quote Originally Posted by Komie View Post
    They still say Cata needs a lot of work, and this expansion (edit for reference: MoP) is in the final stages.
    Quoted for... truth? on 11/30/2011.

"sweet my thing dropped!"

"yeah! i need that thing too!"

"oh? what are you wearing?"

"this crappy pvp thing lol"

"oh, bro, take it... i got the next one"

"thanks!"

/person two presses need

We gear the people that have the most dkp, simple as that.

Quote Originally Posted by Moolife View Post
    Very true... BUT would you rather have 1 fully upgraded tank, or 1 dps?

You will be using 2 regular tanks, 1 OT and possible an extra one for Halfus. I would suggest making sure your 2 main tanks are upgraded fast instead of 2 dps as you still have 13-14 other dpsers getting the gear the tanks can't use. This will mean that dsp: Warriors, DKs, Rogues, Feral, Retri might have to w8 for 1-2 extra drops before they get it.

P.S. We go with 7 Healers instead of 6, so we tend to gear Dps after Tanks.

After finally getting heroic 10-man Ascendant Council down, you bet your ass I'd take a fully geared DPS over a fully geared tank.

When we lost our previous paladin tank, I brought my alt paladin in to start tanking. She was mostly 359 geared (because of our alt runs) and... she had no trouble surviving any of the heroics we had down (we were 5/13 at the time, I believe). Incoming tank damage is easily survivable without being fully geared. DPS checks, however, are strict.
    Grand Crusader Belloc <-- 6608 Endless Tank Proving Grounds score! (
    Dragonslayer Kooqu

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroEdgeir View Post
    We've always ran things based on past loot history in raids vs what dropped. We had, for example, the caster leather shoulders from Omnitron drop, we happen to run 2 Resto Druids and a Boomkin, and the Boomkin outright passed, saying he'd wait til the healers got their drops first. Mighty fine of him to say the least.

We also didn't get started raiding until everyone was already up to 346 in all slot they couldn't get Rep/Crafted Epics for. A few even ran BoT trash runs for the Spirit Staff (both Healer Druids) and Soul Blades (DW Frost DK).

If you got a good, close-knit group you raid with, egos and loot-whoring shouldn't be an issue. Bigger guilds tend to have these issues I've seen from past experience, especially those that run with DKP (Dealt with it in the past).
    Which shows that neither your resto druids or your boomkin were doing their research for their class. The offset shoulders are BiS boomkin, and the offset chest is BiS Resto. Had they known this, your boomkin would have had his shoulders immediately, and wouldn't have been in the running for shoulder tokens off Cho'gall.
    Originally Posted by Ghostcrawler
    The Arms warrior has pet names for all his weapons, while the Fury warrior shows up for battle drunk and half clothed.

Deleted
    I get priority on all tank loot as MT. Our two other tanks get priority on their respective tokens.

Everything else is just on a roll and it is just taken as written that people will be considerate towards other guildies when going for loot

Depends on what your group is capable of doing.

If they're capable of 13/13H, then Heals/Tanks first of course.

If they're capable of 6/12N, then what the fuck ever. Gears not going to help them get much further.
    Whaleshark /spits on your science.

25 mans? DKP, 10 mans? /roll

Deleted
    Well, tanks to a certain extent so that they can take the hits, after that I'd let them pick up as we go.

as I learned from a little chat with one of Ensidias priest at the start of the expansion, they we're clearing HARDMODES in the second week of cata with their healers in mostly blue 346 gear. sure - they needed the basic mana regen to be able to go trough a fight, but other then that gearing them only made room for more slack and screwups.

so instead they geared their dps first, as it is essentially that which you will end up wiping to, enrage timers, or adds not dying fast enough because your dps can't produce enough damage.

at the start of a new expansion I'd always gear the tanks then mostly dps, but later on in the tiers, I'd probably say dps first, or for tier tokens set bonuses first.

/roll for it.

We also semi loot council it. The RL or LM keeps track of who won a token before, you cannot win another token until every other member of the raid that falls under the same token gets 1 token.

So Paladin Priest Lock drops. Or however it goes.

Paladin Wins with 100.
    Priest a rolls 4
    Priest b rolls 88
    Lock rolls 12.

Paladin wins.

Next week
    Paladin 100
    Lock rolls 88
    Priest a rolls 89
    Priest b roll 12

Lock wins

Now the paladin and lock both cannot receive a token until both the priests do.

Quote Originally Posted by Sidonis View Post
    Which shows that neither your resto druids or your boomkin were doing their research for their class. The offset shoulders are BiS boomkin, and the offset chest is BiS Resto. Had they known this, your boomkin would have had his shoulders immediately, and wouldn't have been in the running for shoulder tokens off Cho'gall.
    Actually very true. <3 My magmaw chest, and <3 the 4pc.

15+ Year Old Account
    Everything is important these days.

Haveing a supergeared tank/Heals = Dying to enrages, or not having the DPS to do what is needed(Mal slimes, for example)
    Super geared DPS = Tanks die, as does the raid.

Quote Originally Posted by Irefusetodie View Post
    Depends on what your group is capable of doing.

If they're capable of 13/13H, then Heals/Tanks first of course.

If they're capable of 6/12N, then what the fuck ever. Gears not going to help them get much further.

A guild that is already 13/13h, it doesn't matter.
    A guild that is, say, 11/13h, they need to keep it balanced.

When I used to raid we just gave the gear to the person who needed it the most.

10+ Year Old Account
    Tanks and healers normally first, but sometimes it's not as much of an upgrade for a healer or a tank. It's strictly loot council in my guild and it goes to the person who it's the biggest upgrade/proper stats and who will do more "pew pew" with it equipped. It will ALWAYS depend every single loot piece as to who gets it.
    Last edited by Irisel; 2011-04-20 at 05:26 AM. Reason: typo

We gear our main tank first for things like token pieces (well, in past raids, I'm not really playing right now), then OT and healers and DPS get stuff after that on an equal footing for 10m. For 25, you probably want two well-geared tanks first. The idea behind this is that you need your tank(s) to survive just one more hit, and you need them to do that ASAP. After that, you need all roles well-geared to properly progress, but having your tank(s) be a little ahead makes upcoming bosses just a little easier.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well it is pretty simple to look at what dropped first, if it's all DPS gear then that answers the question. Beyond that, I'd say if the tank or healer is vastly under geared, or just really needs one upgrade and it drops, then maybe they should get it. But DPS are nearly as important and need to be fairly close in gear. So it more goes to the DKP system after that, and just trying to replace any DPS gear that is laughably bad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moon Blade View Post
    There's nothing for casuals to do, beyond pretend they are raiders in LFR.

hottest irl pic first.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalyyn View Post
    "The problem with quotes on the internet is that you can never tell if they are real." ~Abraham Lincoln

Deleted
    It's a balance, we choose to give our tanks an edge on gear because our dps is excelent and we have yet to face problems with enrage timer (6/13 hc soon 8/13 if we can find a proper kiter ) But basicly if you feel that your dps can handle the requirements, go gear your tanks will help you more in the long run, otherwise just distribute as your loot system tell you to.