Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Megadeth is great. Dave has kept the Megadeth sound fresh and crunchy through all these years and you know when a Megadeth song is playing. Better than Metallica? Opinions, but I like the older Metallica (up to Black Album), but then Megadeth takes over from there. Thankfully you can listen to them both!

Must say this naturally became a Megadeth vs. Metallica thread given the long-standing rivalry. And in my opinion Megadeth wins hands down. While I do like Metallica, I view (hear) them in a very different way. Megadeth has always been much more accessible to me, musically. I am lucky to have seen Megadeth live technically twice. When I was 16 (underage for the particular show), they were playing in Melbourne and a friend and I were hanging out the front of the venue listening. The security guard closed the door eventually when the manager (or whoever) came and got annoyed that we were listening for free. During the last song, which was a Holy Wars.. into a medley of older songs, the bouncer opened the doors and let all the kids hanging out the front run in. That was awesome - we shoved our way to the front and were standing just metres from Mustaine. I think I'll go through the Megadeth discography again after reading this and being reminded of all those awesome albums.

Megadeth are amazing. Metallica are and always will be my favourite band, but Megadeth are a close second. Can't wait to see both of 'em again this summer.

saw megadeth a few times over the years as a kid same with metalica guns n roses nirvana ect (i threw a bottle at curt cobain 1992 royal court liverpool lol rip dirty smackhead)
    and to make you all jealous i saw megadeth and metalica together for the first time they ever shared same stage milton keynes 1992 no where else to roam tour.
    now ill sit back and watch the replies from the kids who never saw real bands

Deleted
    Liking Megadeth for me would be like being attracted to an old woman, it just wasnt my time to listen to it and I see no reason to stay in the past.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Scotia View Post
    Liking Megadeth for me would be like being attracted to an old woman, it just wasnt my time to listen to it and I see no reason to stay in the past.
    You're really that short sighted?

In my CD changer on my way to work this morning were:
    Meshuggah - Obzen, Fear Factory - Mechanize, Avenged Sevenfold - Nightmare, Decapitated - Nihility, Megadeth - Endgame & Five Finger Death Punch's first album. And I randomly bounced between them.

Just because a band is older, or has been around for a while, doesn't mean they aren't still very good. I could see not digging on the Stones these days... they're ancient, their music is more attuned to the very old and just doesn't keep pace with anything modern whatsoever. But Megadeth can still school most of the bands you probably like, Dave would still send many of today's metal guitarists home crying and most of the metal bands out there today fight tooth and nail for a spot on Megadeth (or Gigantour) tour roster.

Deleted
    Its not that I dont think a band is good, I just go for more modern bands, especially those that sing about issues in todays society(Rise Against, SOAD) and etc.

I hardly ever listen to old music, unless its cheesy 80s pop or Jeff Buckley or something. The sound is just too different to what I prefer.

lol at this guy. man, some of the best music you will ever hear is from before you were born - for my generation anyway (born in '88 here). the best advice i can give, not that i always followed it, is to keep an open mind in music. listen to something for wat it is and dont worry about who or where or when it came from!

Quote Originally Posted by Rageissues View Post
    I like them until they start singing... I too have seen Metallica live, and even though James Hetfield's voice isn't as strong as it was back in the day, it still sounds really good.
    THIS! Exactly this! I loooove a lot of Megadeth's guitar riffs, and I consider Dave Mustaine one of the best creators of metal riffs I have ever heard. But that voice...just...well, he should really have searched for a singer, is the nicest thing I can write right now. Plus, technical or not, a lot of his fast solos sound really stupid, like an amateur guitarist, just getting comfortable with shredding techniques, trying to improvise. Overall though, the seer power of Megadeth's songs is enough, most of the times, to keep me listening, and excited for them.

PS. Stop comparing musicians and bands to each other. It is so childich to just overlook the fact that taste in music, like taste in art in general, is a hugely subjective thing. There is no such thing as the best guitarist, best singer or rythm guitarist, there is just what you like and what you don't like, and also other people's tastes, which aren't always the same as yours. Just be a grown up and suck it up.

Deleted
    Heh, I dont mind who its just that old music isnt usually relevant to me. (except some Anti-flag songs)
    If Megadeth was political and anti-war, I might have tried listening to them more but to me all I can do is appreciate them for influencing newer thrash metal bands.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by LQDMTL View Post
    In my CD changer on my way to work this morning were:
    Meshuggah - Obzen, Fear Factory - Mechanize, Avenged Sevenfold - Nightmare, Decapitated - Nihility, Megadeth - Endgame & Five Finger Death Punch's first album. And I randomly bounced between them.
    That's a very odd 5th album in that mix.

Metallica post ....Justice has been downhill, while Megadeth has been pretty consistent throughout. I personally prefer old Metallica, because I could never really lose myself in Dave's voice, but his technical skills are top notch.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Heh, I dont mind who its just that old music isnt usually relevant to me. (except some Anti-flag songs)
    If Megadeth was political and anti-war, I might have tried listening to them more but to me all I can do is appreciate them for influencing newer thrash metal bands.
    Um... really?

Holy Wars... the Punishment Due
    Brother will kill brother
    Spilling blood across the land
    Killing for religion
    Something I don't understand

Fools like me, who cross the sea
    And come to foreign lands
    Ask the sheep, for their beliefs
    Do you kill on God's command?

A country that's divided
    Surely will not stand
    My past erased, no more disgrace
    No foolish naive stand

The end is near, it's crystal clear
    Part of the master plan
    Don't look now to Israel
    It might be your homeland

Holy wars

[Solo - Friedman]

Upon my podium, as the
    Know it all scholar
    Down in my seat of judgement
    Gavel's bang, uphold the law
    Up on my soapbox, a leader
    Out to change the world
    Down in my pulpit as the holier
    Than-thou-could-be-messenger of God

Wage the war on organized crime
    Sneak attacks, repel down the rocks
    Behind the lines
    Some people risk to employ me
    Some people live to destroy me
    Either way they die. they die

[Solo - Friedman]

They killed my wife and my baby,
    With hopes to enslave me
    First mistake... last mistake
    Paid by the alliance, to slay all the giants
    Next mistake... no more mistakes!

[Solo - Friedman]

[Solo - Mustaine]

Fill the cracks in, with judicial granite
    Because I don't say it, don't mean I ain't
    Thinkin' it.
    Next thing you know, they'll take my thoughts away
    I know what I said, now I must scream of the overdose
    And the lack of mercy killings.
    mercy killings
    mercy killings
    killings!!
    killings!!
    killings!!
    next thing you know
    they'll take my thoughts away!
    Peace Sells
    What do you mean, "I don't believe in God"?
    I talk to him every day.
    What do you mean, "I don't support your system"?
    I go to court when I have to.
    What do you mean, "I can't get to work on time"?
    I got nothing better to do
    And, what do you mean, "I don't pay my bills"?
    Why do you think I'm broke? Huh?

[Chorus:]
    If there's a new way,
    I'll be the first in line.
    But, it better work this time.

What do you mean, "I hurt your feelings"?
    I didn't know you had any feelings.
    What do you mean, "I ain't kind"?
    I'm just not your kind.
    What do you mean, "I couldn't be the president of the United States of America"?
    Tell me something, it's still "We the people", right?

[Chorus: (repeat)]
    If there's a new way
    I'll be the first in line,
    But, it better work this time.

Can you put a price on peace?
    Peace,
    Peace sells...,
    Peace,
    Peace sells...,
    Peace sells...,but who's buying?
    [n+1 times more]
    No, peace sells...
    Or how about something more recent, eh?

Washington is Next
    The quiet war has begun with silent weapons
    And the new slavery is to keep the people
    Poor and stupid, "Novus Ordo Seclorum"

How can there be any logic in biological war?
    We all know this is wrong, but the New World Order's
    Beating down the door, oh something needs to be done

There was a King, an evil King,
    Who dreamt the wickedest of dreams
    An ancient mystery, no prophet could interpret
    Of seven years of famine, the wolf is at my door
    As predicted years ago, that that was, that is, that is no more

The word predicts the future and tells the truth about the past
    Of how the world leaders will hail the new Pharaoh
    The eighth false king to the throne: Washington is Next!

Disengage their minds, sabotage their health
    Promote sex and war and violence in the kindergartens
    Blame the parents and teachers; it's their fault, "Annuit Coeptis"
    Attack the church dynamic, attack the family
    Keep the public undisciplined 'til nothing left is sacred and
    The "have-not's" get hooked and have to go to the "have's" just to cop a fix

I am the King (an evil king),
    Who dreams the wickedest of dreams
    An ancient mystery, nobody could interpret
    Of seven empires falling, the wolf is at my door

The word predicts my future and tells the truth about my past
    Of how the world's leaders are waiting to usher in
    The eighth world power of modern Rome: Washington is Next!

There was a King, an evil king,
    Who dreamt the wickedest of dreams
    An ancient mystery, no prophet could interpret
    Of seven empires falling, the wolf is at my door

I am a King, and I dream the wildest dreams
    Nobody could interpret
    Seven empires falling, the wolf is at my door
    Oh, that that was, that is, that is no more

There's something at my door, some ancient mystery
    The future tells the truth about my past
    And I'm the eighth false king to the throne
    I've got you in my crosshairs, now, ain't that a bitch?

Washington, you're next!
    Megadeth is totally about politics and war. They always have been. Several of their songs are also about suicide, unjust treatment, feeling isolated or insane, etc. If you can't find an "activist" lyric in Megadeth's past, you aren't looking.

Deleted
    Love 'em, acually just went to the last concert of the European Carnage tour in Eindhoven last week, and they were completely awesome.
    And granted, Dave isn't exactly a world-class vocalist, but I think his voice kinda suits Megadeth, and manages to work without screwing the whole thing up.
    If Megadeth was political and anti-war, I might have tried listening to them more
    *cough* Peace Sells, The Scorpion, Countdown to Extinction, Holy Wars, Endgame, Washington is Next, United Abominations *cough*
    Last edited by mmocf9389d7965; 2011-04-20 at 04:46 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Art3x View Post
    That's a very odd 5th album in that mix.
    I dont see the oddness..

According to iTunes, my most played bands/artists are:

Avenged, Rise Against, Michael Jackson, Pendulum, Eminem, The Blanks(an accapella group) and Blink 182

Also, maybe I wasn't looking. Its just from my experience from those kind of bands they are usually all about the blood and guts.

10+ Year Old Account
    Megadeth > all for me, honestly cant have enough of them after all these years i'm still Hooked. Dave's rebirth is kind of a bummer though, don't get me wrong I have nothing but respect for the man- He's my jesus.
    Putrefaction you've caused, No need for confession. Now you wish you had a god, To stop your demolition. Crushing the bones of the hundred folds, Swinging the judgement hammer. Man, woman, child no-one is safe The heads of the dead are the banner.

Dude, Dave Mustain is a political guy - he is very left wing and a peace activist. The music expresses this unequivocally. I urge you (Scotia) to listen through their discography! If you dont like it because you dont like it, thats fine - but apart from that, dont dismiss older music because of preconceptions.

---------- Post added 2011-04-20 at 04:49 PM ----------

I dont see the oddness..

According to iTunes, my most played bands/artists are:

Avenged, Rise Against, Michael Jackson, Pendulum, Eminem, The Blanks(an accapella group) and Blink 182

Also, maybe I wasn't looking. Its just from my experience from those kind of bands they are usually all about the blood and guts.
    thats actually a pretty eclectic mix lol

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Entaaro View Post
    Dude, Dave Mustain is a political guy - he is very left wing and a peace activist. The music expresses this unequivocally. I urge you (Scotia) to listen through their discography! If you dont like it because you dont like it, thats fine - but apart from that, dont dismiss older music because of preconceptions.
    From how many albums I've seen from them, that would take ages D: but maybe...

Quote Originally Posted by Entaaro View Post
    thats actually a pretty eclectic mix lol
    Yeah, im pretty open when it comes to music genre's, I have preferences but dont consider anything bad :P

10+ Year Old Account
    Rust in Peace / Peace sells Albums are the soundtrack to my life.
    Putrefaction you've caused, No need for confession. Now you wish you had a god, To stop your demolition. Crushing the bones of the hundred folds, Swinging the judgement hammer. Man, woman, child no-one is safe The heads of the dead are the banner.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Its just from my experience from those kind of bands they are usually all about the blood and guts.
    Meshuggah is about... very odd things, usually. Their song Bleed, for example, is a first person perspective of violently, painfully bleeding to death on the floor.

Fear Factory's Mechanize album is almost entirely about the mechanization of the world, machines taking over and humans breaking free of that mechanization to gain freedom... figuratively, mostly. Almost all of those songs have true meanings that are much more philosophical than that. The terminator-esque vocals are a smoke-screen to draw your interest, they aren't the true meaning of the song. Final Exit, the last song on that album, is about the freedom to choose to take your own life rather than slowly waste away in pain and agony (think Kavorkian).

Decapitated... well they're pretty much what their name sounds like.

Megadeth's Endgame album is mostly a window into Dave's stance on politics, war & religion... as are most of their albums (aside from Risk... ahem).

Five Finger Death Punch's first album is all over the place. It's mostly power balads on a 7 string guitar with sometimes-heavy riffing. There's a reason they tour with girl bands (In This Moment, for example).

Some others:

Dying Fetus's songs are mostly political & social activism or viewpoints. In fact the song content rarely has anything at all to do with the song's actual title. Their song titles are usually wildly obscure or even freakish, for the sole purpose of shocking people into reading the lyrics.

Opeth, another superb metal band, has entire albums written in first person perspective of a man who goes through a psychotic break and kills his mother, who then returns to haunt him.

Your summary of metal bands actually makes them all out to be Cannibal Corpse... which is the only band I can think of that truly fits your very generic definition.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Myci View Post
    I personally like metallica better, but they are still very good. I think Megadeath is somewhat underated, mainly because i dont know nearly as many people personaly that like megadeath as they do metallica even thou megadeath is a great band.
    You managed to misspell the band's name 3 times in the same sentence. Your opinion is, thereby, null and void.

Like Megadeth better. Mustaine is WAY, WAY better then James & Kirk on the guitar, I like hes compositions better too. Nothing beats those solos. id trade Mustaine with James tho, on the vocals

plus, Metallica has become really bad on the later albums :\