Clarification on Heroic Chimaeron Feud Phase

So, I would like a clarification what EXACTLY happens during feud phase of Heroic Chimaeron. So...he does a Massacre right before Feud, everybody's health is at 1%. What is his next attack and how long will it take for the attack to come? I know his white swing interval is at 5 sec (correct)? So do we have 5 sec to top off the first tank that is eating white swings? and then how much time do we have to top off the double swing tank?

We have a holy pally, holy priest and a resto druid for heals. What would say is the optimal healing assignments?

Oh, and when should tanks be using Shield Wall type cooldowns?

As far as 25 man goes, one tank takes the fued - normal and double, you can LoH the tank while running in. He always does a massacre before fued, but not every massacre is a fued. This tactic relies on you using a DPS MT and two other tanks.. not sure how it's done on 10 man though.

Based on the tooltip (Double Attack -- Chimaeron will strike twice on his next attack. ) my assumption would be that this double attack follows the 5s swing timer.

If you are using the two tank, taunt for doubles strat -- MT only needs to be kept at 10k, OT (the one taking doubles) needs to be pretty much topped off. A possible healing strat could be: Holy priest is an excellent candidate for raid healing with their multiple AoE healing spells (PoM, CoH, PoH, and Chakra Aoe). Pre-Cast PoH to land just after massacre does, and CoH immediately after PoH lands. Druid rolling hots on one of the two tanks, with a rejuv on the other. Pally beacon on the tank not getting the druid's hots. E.g. druid hots on MT, beacon on OT. Druid is primarily responsible for the two tanks, with assistance from the pally ensuring that that the tank taking doubles is topped off. During non massacres have the Pally and Priest topping low health targets up. When a feud follows a massacre top that OT off before running in to join the rest of the group, you do have a few seconds breathing room to toss a heal then run in.

If your having trouble healing through the feuds - remind your hybrid dps, heck your dps in general, that the boss has a severe hit debuff during the feud and that it would be a great time to use a bandage, healthstone, or throw some off spec heals. If needed rotate raid cd's for fueds (Lolwell, cookies, personals, tranq, hymn etc).

~Kara
    Last edited by Karalana; 2011-04-19 at 05:42 PM.
    "Intelligence in chains loses in lucidity, what it gains in intensity." Albert Camus

10+ Year Old Account
    If your tank taunts when DA is up and your paladin throws Hand of Protection, your tank will still soak the DA but will not take damage. (Or it might be HoP and then Taunt I cannot remember)

You have 5 seconds to get the first tank to full health. You have 15 seconds to get everyone to 60k and the DA Tank to full health. The double Attack Tank only needs to be topped off before the double attack, and use a hard cooldown to reduce incomming damage. after the double attack he can be healed up to 40% and join the raid in the stack.

Your healers must understand that once he starts to cast massacre, noone will die if they are over 10k health. They ALL should try and time their biggest single target heal to land on the first feud tank .3 seconds after massacre. If they time it right, he will be healed to full easily before the first hit (that can hit for 130k).

Quote Originally Posted by equinocs View Post
    So, I would like a clarification what EXACTLY happens during feud phase of Heroic Chimaeron. So...he does a Massacre right before Feud, everybody's health is at 1%. What is his next attack and how long will it take for the attack to come? I know his white swing interval is at 5 sec (correct)? So do we have 5 sec to top off the first tank that is eating white swings? and then how much time do we have to top off the double swing tank?

We have a holy pally, holy priest and a resto druid for heals. What would say is the optimal healing assignments?

Oh, and when should tanks be using Shield Wall type cooldowns?
    I am not a 100% sure about the first question, but to the best of my knowledge/experience his first swing occurs 5 sec after the massacre cast. Nef's timing with dispelling Feud seems a little random and can happen anywhere from 2-5 seconds in, but the first swing has always seemed to be about 5 sec after the massacre goes off. Therefore I think you have about 5 seconds to get whoever is tanking Chimaeron topped off. I use the on-use on Vial of Stolen Memories to push me above 102.4% cap, so healers only have to get me above ~70k before the first swing (and I save 3 HP for Feud tanking, which is an instant 25k-30k heal, so really the healers just need to get one or two heals off on me before the first swing.)

We have a plate dps "tank" the white swings while the Bile-O-Tron is up, and alternate proper tanks on the Feud phases when Bile-O-Tron is down (whoever has no Break stacks atm). The proper tanks should be able to tank Chimaeron for the entire Feud phase while Bile-O-Tron is down if they manage CDs properly. The tank rotation looks something like this:

1st Normal Phase/Start of fight: DPS "tank" eats white hits, Tank #1 eats Double Attacks
    First Feud: Tank #1 tanks the entire Feud phase (he now has stacks of Break at the end of the Feud)
    2nd Normal Phase - DPS "tank" eats white hits, Tank #2 eats Double Attacks
    Second Feud - Tank #2 tanks the entire Feud phase (he now has stacks of Break at the end of the Feud, while Tank #1's Break stacks should have fallen off by now)

3rd Normal Phase is same as 1st, and then just keep cycling like this until 20%. Using 1 tank per Feud phase is much simpler than 2, which it sounds like is what you're trying to do.

Healing assignments - Holy pally on tanks, other two on raid

The CDs your tanks are using depends on the class. Prot warrior should definitely have Shield Wall up for the Double Attack, as a prot pally I just BoP+taunt+cancelaura through it and use my other CDs (DP, Vial of Stolen Memories on-use, our holy pally HoSac's me) so that I can have AD and Shield Wall up for the sub-20% phase. I also HoSac our other tank when he is tanking Chimaeron during Feud to smooth out double attack damage. You want to have your CD rotations worked out before the fight, if you do the 2 tank/1 DPS tank method you should be able to get him sub-20% on the 4th Feud, so it's only 3 Feuds worth of CD rotations to figure out.

Hope there is something useful here for you

Timeline of feud

Massacre is cast, all healers should time the big heal on the tank who will be tanking during a feud. If the bilotron goes offline, let the heal finish, if not cancel and proceed just like after any massacre.

If it's a feud, the tank should be healed to full before the first melee swing which happens 5s after that massacre. While this is happening, AOE effects should be dropped on the stack point while the raid's moving in. The first caustic slimes will come out 15 seconds after the massacre finishes. There are I believe 3 sets of caustic slimes during feud, possibly 4, I honestly dont remember. Reason this is important is because after the last caustic slimes go out, massacre will start to cast again and you wont need to be healing the raid anymore after that.

As far as the tanking, we have the "main tank" from phase 1 take every hit. There are five, once per 5 seconds. First is normal, second is normal and applies break, third is a double attack, followed by two more regular ones. After the fifth swing when massacre is starting, our fresh tank with no breaks takes over. Even with one stack of break we find that the tank lives through feud just fine, as long as they are topped off throughout. This is on 10man.

15+ Year Old Account
    What class/method do you generally use to have a dps "tank" white hits in normal phase? I understand the dmg aspects, but just wondering how they are able to make sure they stay high enough on threat, due to no vengeance/etc. Do you just use a dk in blood presence, or retadin with righteous fury, or something of that nature? I'd imagine warriors would be pretty horrible at it unless they can just outthreat everyone while in normal stances (which admittedly might work, just have to make sure everyone is paying attention to threat :P).

We use a dps DK in blood presence. I've tanked it before as ret with RF up as well, threat is no issue.

The only part you have to be careful about is tank swaps. We've had quite a few occasions at the start of the fight where our prot warrior taunts to eat the first double strike and our dps DK (who is eating the white hits) pulls back aggro before the double strike happens. The way I avoid something like that is to wait a couple of seconds after the DBM warning for double strike to taunt - that way the taunt is still active when the double strike goes out, so there's no way the dps DK can pull back off me by accident. His swing timer is slow enough that this is pretty easy and safe to do.

How exactly does hop/bop on yourself work? Are you just clearing break with it or does it actually soak an attack?

You can actually soak the entire double attack with it.

The way BoP works (to the best of my knowledge) is that you are basically reduced to last/bottom threat in the raid for the duration of BoP except if you taunt. Bosses will continue to attack you for the duration of the taunt, even if you're immune (this works with bubble as well), then go back to wailing on #2 threat once the taunt wears off, then back on you once your bubble/BoP wears off. I hit BoP and taunt right before the double attack occurs - it's important to have decent timing since his swing timer is so slow, if you do it too early the taunt will expire before the double attack goes off and he will gib your DPS tank. He ends up double attacking me while BoP is up, so I take no damage at all. He will go right back on #2 threat once the taunt wears off, which is why it's also important to /cancelaura the BoP quickly - once you cancel it, you go right back to wherever your threat was before you BoP'ed yourself, which is #1 if you're tanking him.

It's a very awesome combination that has many uses.
    Last edited by arindam; 2011-04-20 at 12:28 AM.

Thank you so much.

Yes, my guild has been having two tanks for the feud phase. We will try with the "1 tank eating a whole feud phase" strategy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xaru View Post
    How exactly does hop/bop on yourself work? Are you just clearing break with it or does it actually soak an attack?
    If you taunt directly before you use it when the Double Attack icon shows (or after, I really cannot remember since it wasn't my job) you will soak the double attack.

Edit: I should learn to read, Arindam already explained it 10x better.

So...as stated earlier...my guild has been using the 3 tank method...a plate dps tanking all the regular hits during NON-FEUD phases and the regular tanks eating the tanking regular and our OT tanking the double strike.

we followed the strat of having one tank eating a whole feud phase, single strike and double. it worked for us and we have been killing him ever since. but we still are using three tanks...and it just hit me...if only ONE tank is eating a feud phase...we only need 2 tanks, right? and our plate dps-er can go back to full-time dpsing?

Edit: Woah, completely misread this post.

No, you still need 3 tanks. The double-attack tank gets stacks of break during feud. Break lasts too long to wear off before that tank would either have to be taking white hits, or post-feud double attacks. I don't think you'd be able to survive DA with 4 stacks of break. YMMV

So...as stated earlier...my guild has been using the 3 tank method...a plate dps tanking all the regular hits during NON-FEUD phases and the regular tanks eating the tanking regular and our OT tanking the double strike.

we followed the strat of having one tank eating a whole feud phase, single strike and double. it worked for us and we have been killing him ever since. but we still are using three tanks...and it just hit me...if only ONE tank is eating a feud phase...we only need 2 tanks, right? and our plate dps-er can go back to full-time dpsing?
    Our guild has a somewhat odd raid comp, but here's what we've been doing:
    Two prot pallies, DK DPS tank, healers are holy priest, pally, and shammy.

We rotate feud's. I tank the first feud, other tank gets 2nd, I'm 3rd again. Our DPS tank is NOT involved in feud tanking at all.
    First feud, I LoH myself. 2nd feud, priest wings get used. Third feud, holy pally LoH's me, fourth feud, other tank LoH's himself.

For double attacks, both tanks use Argent Defender for their first rotation, and GoAK for their second rotation.

This lets AD be back up in time for phase 2, when Chimeron's trying to instagib everyone.
    Last edited by ziwcam; 2011-05-27 at 04:04 PM.

No because the breaks stack up during fued, if you get two fueds in a row then that tank will probably die.