Page 1 of 10
1
2
3
... LastLast
  1. #1
    Warchief coldbear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Alexandria, VA
    Posts
    2,125

    you're on a PVP server complaining about "unfair" PVP, why?

    EDIT2:
    http://liquidcode.org/~lostman/wow/d...e/stuff/angwe/
    ^^The above is the reason for the thread. If you like playing the victim on PVP servers when you really belong on a PVE server you won't like it. If you're a true PVPer you'll laugh your ass off.

    EDIT3: Thread winner so far is post #2!
    Quote Originally Posted by Castel View Post
    People choose PvP servers because they think they're going to be the most dangerous predator in the jungle. Then they find out that the reality is they're just the littlest guy in the prison shower.



    Just wondering.

    It's a social game, you are allowed to call for reinforcements.

    It's a PVP server, why do you insist on only doing PVE or "fair" (i.e., instanced or 1:1 ratio) PVP?

    You have a flying mount, you're functionally immune to PVP while on it and more than 40 yards from the ground.

    No-one's holding a gun to your head forcing you to be on a PVP server, or forcing you to go outside the cities where you can queue and re-queue and teleport back and forth to your precious little heart's content.

    So, why complain mang?


    1. Don't be on a pvp server if you don't like unfair pvp. Transfer to a PVE server.
    2. Call friends.
    3. Make friends.
    4. Call guildies.
    5. Find someplace else to level.
    6. Corpse-run towards guards. Then hearth or get summoned.
    7. Always be in a queue of one sort or another.
    8. Level another character.
    9. Network with people facing the same problem.
    10. Go make a sammich. Eat the sammich. Check the AH on your bank alt.
    11. Go talk to people on another server, preferably a PVE server.
    12. Just leave, we don't want non-PVPers on our PVP servers.
    13. Level in BGs.
    14. Level in dungeons.
    15. Level only in groups with other players, pref. your friends. More people = more ideas on how to overcome common obstacles and have fun together.

    You've got 15 alternatives.


    The more I think about this, the more I realize it's a reflection of two different types of people, or their approach to life and social justice:

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Victim_playing
    http://drsanity.blogspot.com/2005/12...etting-it.html
    • -You are not responsible for what happened to you
    • -You are always morally right
    • -You are not accountable to anyone for anything
    • -You are forever entitled to sympathy
    • -You are always justified in feeling moral indignation for being wronged
    • -You never have to be responsible again for anything


    VERSUS

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liberty
    Liberty is a concept in political philosophy that identifies the condition in which human beings are able to govern themselves, to behave according to their own free will, and take responsibility for their actions.


    Forgive the last one, I couldn't find anything good on wikipedia that was similar to the regular, run-of-the-mill social conservative/GOP type definition of personal responsibility.

    The "Victimhood"-seekers are the people who don't see how they should be held accountable for choosing to roll on a PVP server. They instead focus on how bad or evil the people are who take advantage of the rules or the in-game situations to gank/camp/grief them, even when the rules explicitly allow things like killing a character 80 levels below them.

    The people who focus on the idea of "Personal Responsibility" generally believe that life or the game is fair to begin with, the good rise to the top and the bad fall beneath their feet. They focus on taking individual account of the action of clicking "Yes, I'd like a PVP server, please."

    Liberal or Conservative? Personal Responsibility or Let's-all-be-friends-and-work-together? Should the people who take the time and effort to get good/high level/gear/skills/knowledge reap the rewards or should they be considerate for those who have not (yet)?

    Take your pick.

    http://us.blizzard.com/support/artic...rticleId=20456
    We are unable to assist with the following issues:
    • Actions that would typically be considered "dishonorable" are considered legitimate PvP tactics and will not be addressed by our Game Master (GM) staff. "Dishonorable" actions include, but are not limited to:
    • Corpse camping.
    • Tricking players into getting flagged for PvP (i.e. jumping in the middle of another player's area effect spell).
    • Killing players well below your level.[COLOR="red"]

  2. #2
    People choose PvP servers because they think they're going to be the most dangerous predator in the jungle. Then they find out that the reality is they're just the littlest guy in the prison shower.

  3. #3
    Its not getting ganked by a single player or two per say but when like 1v5 happens i get mad and they laugh at me like that actually took skill or something. I love when i catch one of them solo and blow him up lol. example this group of 5 ally would would keep attacking me and when 4 of them left to do whatever their was this lonely ret pally with the vicious gladiator axes and stuff so i put on some 70 gear and almost killed. but the other people saved him and he laughed at me but i started a toon on ally side and whispered "dude i was in 70 gear u suck lol" he was pissed lol. i got the clip fraps to so hehehehe.

  4. #4
    Brewmaster Rhaide's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    KPAX
    Posts
    1,344
    Quote Originally Posted by hitmannoob View Post
    Its not getting ganked by a single player or two per say but when like 1v5 happens i get mad and they laugh at me like that actually took skill or something. I love when i catch one of them solo and blow him up lol. example this group of 5 ally would would keep attacking me and when 4 of them left to do whatever their was this lonely ret pally with the vicious gladiator axes and stuff so i put on some 70 gear and almost killed. but the other people saved him and he laughed at me but i started a toon on his ally side a whipser "dude i was in 70 gear u suck lol" he was pissed lol. i got the clip fraps to so hehehehe.
    Haha, nice hitman, I agree with you, although I don't get mad at them. I generally shake my head and go do something else til their e-peens are satisfied and they go somewhere else.

    It's funny because the OP made this post because I made a thread asking why people do EXACTLY what you said you don't like them doing, I wasn't complaining, I was asking why, because I was curious, and also, because it had just happened and I was using the strategy detailed above: waiting until they leave.

    However, he, and others, flamed and trolled me for asking why, accusing me of QQing (lol, it's funny when they do that), and then came and made this thread. It's comedic.
    "When you do things right, people won't be sure you have done anything at all."

    -God (Futurama)

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by hitmannoob View Post
    Its not getting ganked by a single player or two per say but when like 1v5 happens i get mad and they laugh at me like that actually took skill or something. I love when i catch one of them solo and blow him up lol. example this group of 5 ally would would keep attacking me and when 4 of them left to do whatever their was this lonely ret pally with the vicious gladiator axes and stuff so i put on some 70 gear and almost killed. but the other people saved him and he laughed at me but i started a toon on ally side and whispered "dude i was in 70 gear u suck lol" he was pissed lol. i got the clip fraps to so hehehehe.
    No one claims that World PvP consisting of 5v1 takes skill. No one.

    ---------- Post added 2011-04-19 at 03:32 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Rhaide View Post
    Haha, nice hitman, I agree with you, although I don't get mad at them. I generally shake my head and go do something else til their e-peens are satisfied and they go somewhere else.

    It's funny because the OP made this post because I made a thread asking why people do EXACTLY what you said you don't like them doing, I wasn't complaining, I was asking why, because I was curious, and also, because it had just happened and I was using the strategy detailed above: waiting until they leave.

    However, he, and others, flamed and trolled me for asking why, accusing me of QQing (lol, it's funny when they do that), and then came and made this thread. It's comedic.
    You posted, claiming you failed to see the point behind it. You went into detail that you didn't want to play on the server you were on. It's obvious how you feel about PvP. PvP is not fair nor fun for all. Accept that and go away.

  6. #6
    Warchief coldbear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Alexandria, VA
    Posts
    2,125
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhaide View Post
    H

    However, he, and others, flamed and trolled me for asking why, accusing me of QQing (lol, it's funny when they do that), and then came and made this thread. It's comedic.
    I've never flamed or trolled you. You got your answers, and you're still whining about how unfair open pvp is.

    People play this game for fun. Fun comes in a lot of different flavours for a lot of different people.

    Some enjoy bashing their skulls against PVE dragons in raids all day long. Some just want "fair" pvp in duels or arenas or BGs.

    Others just want to roflstomp whoever happens to be in their path.

    It's pretty simple, really:

    1. I enjoy PVE and "fair" PVP - therefore I roll on a PVE server, or stay the hell off the ground or stay in the cities.
    2. I enjoy "unfair" PVP - therefore I roll on a PVP server.
    3. If neither (1) or (2) above, then find a different game to play.

  7. #7
    Probably wasnt much of a fan of pvp in the first place then, or just bored by it. Personally I love a 1vsX situation, trying to take down as many poeople down as possible

  8. #8
    When I started playing on a pvp server in TBC world PvP was a chess match where getting the first blow didn't mean you would win and the gankee could actually kill the ganker. Now, World PvP has been reduced to being ganked and generally being dead or near dead by the time you can respond (cata is much better than wrath, however). Generally the ganker then leaves the area and there is no point calling for friends. Until they show up 20 minutes later and gank you while you are trying to kill three mobs and then run off again. I think most people would agree that unless you are doing the ganking there just isn't much fun in it, unlike in TBC when I loved the thrill of turning the tables and making the predator into the victim.

  9. #9
    Stood in the Fire
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Cumberland, RI
    Posts
    379
    im terrible at pvp but i would never roll a pve server because i like the idea that i have to watch my back when im questing etc...makes the game feel more interactive that way... imagine playing mario without any enemies... sure you could still fall to your death in most lvls but it would be boring as hell ... plus there are just some days when you wanna go mess with people to mark your territory... its human nature at its best lol

    edit: although there have definately been times when i yelled at my computer monitor while being outplayed (or outnumbered or camped) over and over haha... idk i guessi just think it keeps people honest haha
    Last edited by Clethius; 2011-04-21 at 06:26 AM.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Isshiah View Post
    When I started playing on a pvp server in TBC world PvP was a chess match where getting the first blow didn't mean you would win and the gankee could actually kill the ganker. Now, World PvP has been reduced to being ganked and generally being dead or near dead by the time you can respond (cata is much better than wrath, however). Generally the ganker then leaves the area and there is no point calling for friends. Until they show up 20 minutes later and gank you while you are trying to kill three mobs and then run off again. I think most people would agree that unless you are doing the ganking there just isn't much fun in it, unlike in TBC when I loved the thrill of turning the tables and making the predator into the victim.
    i disagree completely. Just because someone gets the jump on you in world pvp in cataclysm, doesnt mean you are gonna lose. If you are a better player you will be fine.

  11. #11
    Bloodsail Admiral Musra's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Druid trainer in progress at Moonglade
    Posts
    1,195
    Because that person killed me and I dont want to get killed, only kill.

    People like to complain unfortunately even if they have to act so dumb so they are trying to complain on something they brought on themself. Eurgh!!!!
    ''Invincibility lies in the defence; the possibility of victory in the attack'' -Sun Tzu

  12. #12
    I am Murloc! Thallidomaniac's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Honolulu, HI
    Posts
    5,672
    I just find it ridiculous that some people use the "Realm or Faction transfer" cop-out about those unbalanced realms. It's not like those realms like Cho'gall didn't always have a 15:1 Horde advantage... Oh wait, it didn't. Ever heard of people being on those realms before the Alliance (in this case) jumped ship?

    And it's not like all those guys who wanted the easy way out went to the winning faction just because one guild there is 13/13 H, while the other faction's progression is inexistent like 2/12 NORMAL. Oh wait.
    Last edited by Thallidomaniac; 2011-04-21 at 06:40 AM.

  13. #13
    Why?
    Because it's fun. Agreed it's unfair and the person n the receiving end is not having said fun. But we don't care, war ain't fun or fair for those on the losing side. But WINNING!!!!!!

  14. #14
    Is it me or is this a non-discussion?

    It just is the rules of the game. If you can't play the game like it is, then don't play it. If you don't want to PVP, go to a PVE server. If you don't like WoW, don't play WoW.

    It is just beyond me why people can't just accept the rules of a frickin game instead of whining about it.

    You don't see people complaining that Rooks cannot jump Pawns at Chess. Well, let me tell you it would be badass for Rooks to do that. Oh, and don't give me the "game is still in development argument". You are mad because you get ganked and you can't take it? You are a WUSS.

    Now get ganked, breathe, take it like a man, and move on like you got a pair.

    /rawr

  15. #15
    Its always the bads that gank you, or try to, either on their own or with buttbuddies.
    I have been ganked by a crappy 90k pve geared warrior, he died then switched over and started flaming me.. :S
    When leveling i put my main in the same place, like in Thrallmar, waiting, so i can switch, and get some guildies for some pvp. They always run away though

  16. #16
    Dreadlord
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    834
    I never hear complaints really, and when I do it's because someone's been killed 3+ times by either a gang or a much higher leveled char. Being camped is not fun, and when it reaches the level of griefing it's actually not allowed, so no reason to not complain about that.

    However, "even" world PvP is fun. The moments when someone pops up and gives me a fight gives the boring questing etc an edge. I'd never be able to play on PvE realm, really.

  17. #17
    Because no matter what server you play on, its still unfair, as you put it.

    Its not fun for anyone to be camped, especially if the person doing it is a few levels higher/massively more geared than you, as you have no possible chance of winning. I don't know about you, but on most occasions, things lose their fun when you literally cannot win.

    If you do get ganked while levelling and go in guild or /1 "help me im getting ganked by a level __ ____ in _____", I would put money on no-one worthwhile coming to help you.

    The flying mount argument is bullshit. Yay, people can't hit me while im flying, but I can't DO anything either. Whats the point of sitting there just so you can't get ganked again? None, as you can't play the game either.

    Shadow Priest Main
    Originally Posted by Zarhym
    Your post is so drenched in frustration and sarcasm that it's really ruining my salad.

  18. #18
    PvP is any and ALL player vs. player contact, and is a vital part of what distinguishes PvP from PvE servers.

    PvP is not always, "fair" or "balanced".

    Get over it.

  19. #19
    Who's complaining about World PvP?

    The only complaint I read about on these boards are about the lack thereof.

  20. #20
    Elemental Lord Elim Garak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    DS9
    Posts
    8,274
    Quote Originally Posted by parakeith View Post
    PvP is any and ALL player vs. player contact, and is a vital part of what distinguishes PvP from PvE servers.
    the only difference between PVP and PVE server is that on PVP server you get automatically flagged for PVP in contested areas.
    that's all. I wouldn't call it a vital part - it's the only part and it's not that big, cause anyone who want's to world PVP on PVE server can flag himself for that and go look for similar-minded of opposing faction. So basically it's the same amount of world PVP compared to PVP server.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •