Thread: Fresh 85 Healer

Deleted

Fresh 85 Healer

Hi Im leveling my Priest atm and not far from 85 I Plan on healing MS at 85 most likely as Disc!I have heard its impossible to heal as Disc in freshly dinged 85 gear!I would like to know if that is true?When is it viable healing?What spec should I Go with?Basically I would like as much Healing info as possible for when I ding,also dunno if its relevent but my Main is Paladin Healer 11/12 Normal and I will be healing 10man!

Deleted
    i find it hard ot even heal as disc in normals... heroics are out of the question.... friends do say it gets a lot better with gear tho

Spaces come after fullstops and commas btw. - (Reminds me of this kid from school who spoke so damn fast...)

OT:
    Of course it's possible to heal as Disc as a newly dinged, but go with whatever spec you prefer and feel most comfortable with.

Preferably, get a tank(or even better, the whole group) you know.

I didn't find healing as disc to be too difficult when I first hit 85. Be prepared to get alot of people tell you to respec holy because it's better. I stayed disc because I did just fine and it was fun but it might not be for you.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    No, it really isn't. I've been disc since I first hit 85 with my 2nd priest around two weeks ago. A good tip though would be to use your cooldowns on normal pulls, and buy some mana pots for when your mana go low (which it will on some bosses), this will make your life way easier.

But really, it depends on the group, if people stand in fire it's obvious that a freshly dinged 85 won't be able to outheal it.

I can't really say. I was gearing my disc up at the beginning of the expansion and it was embarrasingly bad (like shouldn't have been released by a reputable company bad). But then by the time they finally got around to buffing the class, I already had great gear, and now sleep through heroics as disc just like I did in wotlk even with pretty bad groups.

Not sure if it was the gear or the buffs but I would say its definitely viable now.

Would just like to point out that it's not all doom and gloom and was quite surprised at the Halfus performance of my newly dinged 85; 2 parts heirlooms, current ilevel 281

Some things to note:
    1. I havent healed a single heroic and a normal by mistake (queued as healer instead of dps)
    2. The gear is 2 x JC crafted + quest items, neck from TotT
    3. Alt+friend raid
    4. Smite heal when I rembered to do so, after 2nd dragon down I think
    5. Good drakes: time, scion, slate; 2 at start, 3rd when both down (helped healing a lot, especially the first half of the fight beginning)
    6. It was more fun than I thought it would be
    7. www .worldoflogs .com /reports/q290bb9j3ackp8bd/sum/ healingDone/?s=5191&e=5546

Disc is by far the most "gear-dependent" healer right now. By that I mean: The more gear you get as Disc, not only does the mana/healing get so much better, but the numbers you push out increase exponentially.

I would start out as Holy until you are getting a solid amount of 333/346 gear and then start playing Disc to get more comfortable with it @85 until you are geared out in 346/crafted gear.

I've been playing my priest as main for 5 and 1/2 years, and that's my suggestion, but you can always experiment and see what you like best. Simply put: Holy is the most mana efficient at 85 (fresh) while in end-game Heroic modes and such Disc is a beast. You may be more comfortable with one over the other, but I have always found it best to swap my specs around and keep in tune with both as you never know when they will take the nerf bat to something that makes it very difficult to use viably.

Good luck!
    Quote Originally Posted by Komie View Post
    They still say Cata needs a lot of work, and this expansion (edit for reference: MoP) is in the final stages.
    Quoted for... truth? on 11/30/2011.

Deleted
    Thanks for all the Helpful Replys!Its looking like its gonna make my life alot easier if I spec Holy till I get better gear.
    Could someone maybe provide me with good 5 and 10 man Holy and Disc specs(also which specs better for disc with avg gear of about ilvl 348-350 well assuming I get geared in Heroic and bit of crafted gear and stuff,Attonment vs Normal Healing?)

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramadaey View Post
    Hi Im leveling my Priest atm and not far from 85 I Plan on healing MS at 85 most likely as Disc!I have heard its impossible to heal as Disc in freshly dinged 85 gear!
    Lol. It was never impossible to heal heroics as a green geared disc. Not even before the regen buff that arrived weeks after Cata release. Believe me We cleared the first HCs with everyone wearing ilvl ~320 green/blue gear. Yeah it was hard.

Quote Originally Posted by Ramadaey View Post
    Hi Im leveling my Priest atm and not far from 85 I Plan on healing MS at 85 most likely as Disc!I have heard its impossible to heal as Disc in freshly dinged 85 gear!I would like to know if that is true?When is it viable healing?What spec should I Go with?Basically I would like as much Healing info as possible for when I ding,also dunno if its relevent but my Main is Paladin Healer 11/12 Normal and I will be healing 10man!
    How have you been healing up til now? If you were planning to be a healer at 85 you should of been healing dungeons your entire way up to 85 to get experience in both trees to see what you prefer, then at 85 nothing really changes until you get geared enough for heroics.

I learned how to heal with my priest at very low lvl doing dungeon runs. There really is no better way to learn your class.
    "There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil."
    -John Galt

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zka View Post
    Lol. It was never impossible to heal heroics as a green geared disc. Not even before the regen buff that arrived weeks after Cata release. Believe me We cleared the first HCs with everyone wearing ilvl ~320 green/blue gear. Yeah it was hard.
    I thought you could only enter HC's with ilvl 329 and above?

wow's ilvl thingy has been thought and coded like crap. as long as you carry enough 333+ "trash" items (don't even need them to be soulbound or fit your class/spec, like... int stuff as a warrior) in your bags to cover every slot, you could still tag for heroics completely naked.

back to topic, healing has been this way since cata launch :
    -bad group + ungeared healer = hell
    -decent/good group + healer = gear almost doesn't matter as long as you actually know how to heal

healing heroics in half greens IS possible, provided cc is properly used and no one stands in the fire for hours. of course, since most lk babies have got themselves their epix by now, many have gone back to lol-aoe pulls like before (well actually even those who are barely geared in full 318-333 sometimes do it too), which of course is something you're not meant to be able to keep up with without stopping for regen.
    Last edited by sacrypheyes; 2011-04-20 at 11:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Triage View Post
    I thought you could only enter HC's with ilvl 329 and above?
    You need ilvl 329 to Q for a random, not to enter a heroic. You only need to be 85 to enter a heroic.

Quote Originally Posted by Ebbikenezer View Post
    Disc is by far the most "gear-dependent" healer right now. By that I mean: The more gear you get as Disc, not only does the mana/healing get so much better, but the numbers you push out increase exponentially.

I would start out as Holy until you are getting a solid amount of 333/346 gear and then start playing Disc to get more comfortable with it @85 until you are geared out in 346/crafted gear.

I've been playing my priest as main for 5 and 1/2 years, and that's my suggestion, but you can always experiment and see what you like best. Simply put: Holy is the most mana efficient at 85 (fresh) while in end-game Heroic modes and such Disc is a beast. You may be more comfortable with one over the other, but I have always found it best to swap my specs around and keep in tune with both as you never know when they will take the nerf bat to something that makes it very difficult to use viably.

Good luck!
    I agree with you. You can definitely heal as disc as a freshly dung 85, but it's not exactly easy. If your somewhat of a masochist and really want to learn the ins and outs of disc, it is completely possible. If you just want to grind out gear, then holy is much better.

One thing to note, is most tanks have moved beyond CCing in heroics, and disc is a much better single target healer.
    Last edited by scandore8472; 2011-04-21 at 08:36 PM.

Deleted
    My advice for a newly levelled 85 disc would be to stack spirit at all costs to start with, reforge everything you can into spirit until you get roughly ~2000 combat regen.

Before that, i was finding it quite hard to keep up, suddenly got much easier when you have enough mana regen to actually use all of your abilities

For heroics, try to run enough normals to replace at least most of your gear first, you'll likely need an ilevel a fair bit above the minimum actually required to enter them.
    Last edited by mmocd3839c8460; 2011-04-22 at 04:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 6BigZ6 View Post
    You need ilvl 329 to Q for a random, not to enter a heroic. You only need to be 85 to enter a heroic.
    To clarify this, you need to have ilvl 329 to use the LFD tool for a heroic at all, whether it be specific or random.

@ OP, it's possible to heal every current heroic at 329 ilvl as disc (it was possible at launch before the regen buff and subsequent changes, so it's certainly possible now). Given that you're 11/12 as a healer, albeit a different class, it should prove a fun challenge for you -- just be aware that at the lower gearing you'll be far less able to deal with screw-ups in a run and would do well to ask for CC to be used liberally.

Lethal, Thunderhorn-US
    (US #1 2-night guild WoD)
    Tues/Thurs 7-11pm CT
    EN 7/7 Heroic

i think what he meant is that anyone who is 85 can enter a heroic dungeon by actually going through the dungeon entrance itself. did that with a guild group by the first cata days when most of us didn't have the required ilvl.

Deleted
    Healed as disc as soon as I hit 85 with no problems. Never tried holy, I wants teh sheeldz!