Page 1 of 2
LastLast

PvP-gear to a PvE-encounter means cutting your stats in half?

A guildie said he has a friend in the Blizz programming department, and that they're working on making PvP-gear "not count" for PvE-encounters. Wearing any PvP-gear but trinkets and weapons are supposed to cut your stats in half, and make you unable to zone in to raid encounters. As I've heard nothing about this sort of thing, I think it sounds a bit ridiculous. I asked him why stuff like trinkets should be exempt, and he said it's because they have mostly the same effect as some racials do, and on the weapons, he said that they would be exempt, because in a lot of cases, they're better than the PvE-equivalent. (Just like most 359 PvP-pieces are better than most 346-pieces...)

So, anyone heard anything like this from the rumor mill? I've been googling, but as expected, didn't find anything about it.

15+ Year Old Account
    They are not working on this as far as I am aware.

They cut the bonus's of PvP gear because it was better for some classes early on, but that was a while back. I think your guildie was making things up.

Deleted
    I'm pretty sure that the Blizzard staff has a non-disclosure agreement, making it unlikely that they spread things around to their wow-playing friends. And as a general rule of thumb: If someone says they heard it from a friend with blizzard contacts - stop listening/reading. It's 99% untrue.

I dunno, maybe your friend is hinting that you might want to stop trying to raid in PvP gear?

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    63% of all statistics are made up on the spot! But this guy is probably right more often than not, just wait for a blue post if you want to hear from blizz.
    Naftc, "Hunters are the cheapest class in game and when played right are more deadly than a train plowing through a field of bunnies covered in napalm"

sounds like a bunch of false information. pvp gear has its secondary stats halved because of resilience being a secondary stat on them. crit/resil, haste/resil instead of haste/crit. while pvp gear is a good placeholder for some pieces you just cant get to drop, it doesnt match pve gear in pve content. a while ago people used their pvp 4 set because it gave 180(?) to their primary stat(str int agi) and that outweighed pve gear at the time, they changed that. theyre not going to not let you enter a raid because you have pvp gear on, you could raid naked if u really wanted to...

And i365 pvp epics >> i346 heroic blues even with the "wasted resilience" in the stat budget, due to primary stats outweight secondary stats with a huge margin.

346 pve gear is way bether than 365 pvp gear for dps. only weapons are for some classes an exeption. no discussion allowed.
    u dont believe? watch urself doing a dummy test and compare. or go spreadsheet.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Holofernes View Post
    346 pve gear is way bether than 365 pvp gear for dps. only weapons are for some classes an exeption. no discussion allowed.
    1) dummy DPS is stupid. you're missing all important buffs and debuffs.
    2) some classes actually benefit more from 365 PvP gear than from 346 blues, due to the extra stats. i remember doing math for elemental relics and finding that it was decent until you got a valor one.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't like this at all as it would feel like a band-aid fix. Rather they make secondary stats worth slightly more per point so that it would be more of a waste to have resi on the gear in PvE.

Quote Originally Posted by Tsuna View Post
    63% of all statistics are made up on the spot! But this guy is probably right more often than not, just wait for a blue post if you want to hear from blizz.
    Was this statistic made up. :P

I doubt they are doing this as has already been pointed out they reduced the set bouses to make them less useful in pve, and the resilience no longer reduces mob's crits.

As for pvp gear being better, that is an entirely class dependant question. For some classes the secondary stats weigh in quite close to the primary ones, so e.g. Int+Mastery gems are nearly as good as pure Int gems and so you match all your gem sockets. For these clearly pvp gear is a waste.

For other classes the secondary stats pail in comparison to the primary ones, so you would happily give up 80 mastery to get 30 int. For these classes you will almost always gem pure Int regardless of the bonus (assuming it is less than 10 int ofc), and so pvp gear with the inflated Int values (and possibly also your preferred secondary stat too) is actually very useful.

Quote Originally Posted by Butler Log View Post
    I dunno, maybe your friend is hinting that you might want to stop trying to raid in PvP gear?
    Nice try, but I don't.

But as long as you don't go full out PvP in every slot, it should be possible to maintain a lot of the stats you need. I have some PvP-items in my offspec (which I do PvP in, but sometimes get asked to step into during raids) while waiting for the real stuff to drop.

---------- Post added 2011-04-20 at 12:51 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Holofernes View Post
    This clearly depends a lot on your class/spec. I don't think it's true as a blanket statement.

you lose one secondary stat with pvp gear, so you could say that currently the pvp gear cuts your secondary stats in half(the 2nd secondary stat is always resiliance on pvp gear)

He's obviously trying to get you to quit showing up to to raids in PvP gear and start seriously working on a PvE set instead of wasting your down time in BG's and Arenas then expecting to get time in raids. If you're in a small guild that needs all hands to show up for a raid to get off the ground, you're screwing them over big time by spending all your time doing PvP and not getting a PvE set together, so he's trying to manipulate you into making the right choice.

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    /sarcasm on
    I bet they are gonna introduce a new PVE only stat called anti-resilience. And every PVE piece of gear will have it, every PVE player will need to have 3k anti-res to use his gear stats in full. Anything less will make you a gimp PVE-wise by decreasing the stats of your gear in proportion to how much more anti-res you need to be capped. So 0 anti-res - 0 stats (including armor and weapon damage). And if you ever mix PVP gear with PVE gear - your character explodes and auto-deletes (non-restore-able).
    /sarcasm off

Would be stupid... I wear my pvp gear until something better drops.

lol? would be really stupid...
    im using vicious bracers on my boomkin since chimaeron is the only boss that drops an epic bracer for boomkins/resto and im not lucky at all..
    would like to wear a pve one.. but.. pvp sometimes better than blue ones
    Last edited by xkungx; 2011-04-20 at 03:01 PM.

I dont think that you can reforge resil.

Quote Originally Posted by Cenius View Post
    I dont think that you can reforge resil.
    You can't.