Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzzie View Post
    Tampa is a success because a tonne of canadians go down to florida in the winter time. It's not a big secret.
    I see the Panthers are doing just as well! Tampa papers the place with free tickets...upwards of 2500 a night.

15+ Year Old Account
    Tampa is a success because a tonne of canadians go down to florida in the winter time. It's not a big secret.
    That isn't completely untrue, but isn't the only reason certainly. When the Wings played in Tampa a month or so back it was like a home game for the Wings. The Red to Blue ratio was about 3:1. It was pretty hilarious. Tampa is built on the same fan base that the league tried to base the Phoenix franchise on. Pick up local fans, but build on a base of relocated Northerners. It worked well in Tampa and they have built up an actual fan base. It didn't work at all in Phoenix when they relocated the team to Glendale even though they have been fairly successful. It didn't work at all in Florida when their success hit a wall. Remember when Florida went to the Cup Finals and got trashed by the Avs? They were one of the most popular teams in hockey with their rubber rat tossing and ravenous fan base. And then that completely disappeared as the team went downhill faster than a greased up fat kid on a ski slope. Bad ownership, even worse management by the GM and a constant revolving door of coaching killed that franchise.

Hockey is alive and well here in Florida. It may not be cold enough here for outdoor ice rinks, but we've got plenty of outdoor street rinks and indoor ice rinks. The local sports stores have trouble keeping mens hockey equipment in stock. I went down to Key West for the weekend (the southern most point of Florida and 80 miles away from Cuba) a couple of weeks ago and the first thing I saw was this nice outdoor rink filled with people playing/waiting to play. I know the talk was about the NHL, but I'm just saying hockey in general isn't dead down here.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tuukkatime View Post
    Hockey is alive and well here in Florida. It may not be cold enough here for outdoor ice rinks, but we've got plenty of outdoor street rinks and indoor ice rinks. The local sports stores have trouble keeping mens hockey equipment in stock. I went down to Key West for the weekend (the southern most point of Florida and 80 miles away from Cuba) a couple of weeks ago and the first thing I saw was this nice outdoor rink filled with people playing/waiting to play. I know the talk was about the NHL, but I'm just saying hockey in general isn't dead down here.
    Its good to hear that there is a growing hockey culture. Neither of the Florida franchises are completely terrible when it comes to off the ice factors like attendance. The Panthers are far down the list at about 80% attendance, but it isn't killing them. It would really help if they were even remotely decent on the ice in the last decade though. Their management and ownership are just terrible with constantly firing their head coach, making bad trades, etc. I think the bigger problem with the Panthers is that they play in Miami which has never been a top notch sports town as far as attendance is concerned. The Dolphins are bottom of the barrel attendance in the NFL. The Heat can barely get people to come to their games even remotely on time and they have a couple of the best players in basketball. The lower bowl is about half full early in their regular season home games. And the Florida Marlins. Well, they're averaging 48% attendance so far this season. That's good right? The area is usually trend driven and all about what the big deal is right then. When the Panthers were great, aka three years after their creation and never since, they were insanely popular. Same is true for the Heat. If any team in the NHL could benefit the most from putting a winning product on the ice it is probably the Panthers, basically the opposite of Phoenix where a team in 4th place in the West and competing for the division, before landing in sixth, for a huge chunk of the season can't draw a decent size crowd to save its life (literally!) until the playoffs start. If the Panthers get good they will get fans. Besides they have arguably the best third jersey in the NHL even if it is a copy+paste of the Pens retro uniform and the Blues third jersey. That cute little kitty head makes that blue jersey freaking amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by Elitelevel View Post
    When you have like 3 less points and 20+ more goals safe to say you were more valuable. Anyways I'm just saying that it has been inconsistent.
    Why?
    Setting up a goal is just as important as putting the puck in the net. Look at Wayne Gretzky for example, he was always more of a playmaker then a goalscorer, same with people like Peter Forsberg(when he was in top shape). Without brilliant plays from playmakers the goalscorers and their teams are severely gimped compared to if they do have these kind of players. Scoring most goals is not always an indication that they are the most vulueable players a team or a league has.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackmoves View Post
    Why?
    Setting up a goal is just as important as putting the puck in the net. Look at Wayne Gretzky for example, he was always more of a playmaker then a goalscorer, same with people like Peter Forsberg(when he was in top shape). Without brilliant plays from playmakers the goalscorers and their teams are severely gimped compared to if they do have these kind of players. Scoring most goals is not always an indication that they are the most vulueable players a team or a league has.
    This

and I'm pretty sure Joe Throton spent more time killing penalties that season than Jagr did during his whole career.

/thread

10+ Year Old Account
    Although Canadians really go to the US during the winter time. Not just Florida!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-Signature by Winter Blossom-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by fengosa View Post
    This

and I'm pretty sure Joe Throton spent more time killing penalties that season than Jagr did during his whole career.

/thread
    Wow bro that isn't fair. Jagr was a great piece on the penalty kill. That is why he averaged 0:08 time on the PK in his final season in the NHL...
    Last edited by conscript; 2011-04-25 at 01:41 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    I think the real question will be is when does Detroit become so reliant on one player again (or a few, instead of many) that one of there players can actually WIN the damn thing. Shit Place Lidstrom or Datsyuk on any other team and there pereniall contenders.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by marcelos11 View Post
    I think the real question will be is when does Detroit become so reliant on one player again (or a few, instead of many) that one of there players can actually WIN the damn thing. Shit Place Lidstrom or Datsyuk on any other team and there pereniall contenders.
    Ya but they play in a team system that has always emphasized team play over individual results. The Wings have won the Hart like 9 times in the history of the NHL, I think that is third among teams, but not a single time since Federov won in 1993. I don't think it is a coincidence that the Wings have been the best team in the NHL since then and haven't won a single Hart or Rocket in that time frame.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by conscript View Post
    Ya but they play in a team system that has always emphasized team play over individual results. The Wings have won the Hart like 9 times in the history of the NHL, I think that is third among teams, but not a single time since Federov won in 1993. I don't think it is a coincidence that the Wings have been the best team in the NHL since then and haven't won a single Hart or Rocket in that time frame.
    hey as long as team play keeps them winning i am happy as the next guy. i am just tired of people insulting our players and saying "hey if there as good as you say they are why haven't they won a scoring trophy or the hart, etc. hard to do that imho when you value TEAM play more than anything else.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by marcelos11 View Post
    hey as long as team play keeps them winning i am happy as the next guy. i am just tired of people insulting our players and saying "hey if there as good as you say they are why haven't they won a scoring trophy or the hart, etc. hard to do that imho when you value TEAM play more than anything else.
    When they do that, just laugh at them for not understanding that individual awards do not equal team success. The last person to win the Stanley Cup and the Hart? Marty St. Louis in 03-04.
    2010- Henrik Sedin. Out in first round
    2009-Alex Ovechkin. Out in second round
    2008- Alex Ovechkin. Out in first round
    2007- Sidney Crosby. Out in first round
    2006- Joe Thronton (after being traded to Sharks) Out in second round
    2004- Martin St Louis. Won Cup
    2003- Peter Forsberg. Out in first round
    2002- Jose Theodore. Out in second round
    2001- Joe Sakic. Won Cup

Last time before that a player won the Hart and the Stanley Cup was Mark Messier in 1990 for the Oil.