Page 1 of 6
... LastLast
    Deleted

Oscar-Nominated Journalist Killed in Libya

news.sky.com/skynews/Home/World-News/Libya-Tim-Hetherington-Oscar-Nominated-Filmmaker-And-Photojournalist-Killed-In-Misratah-Attack/Article/201104315976323?lpos=World_News_Carousel_Region_0&lid=ARTICLE_15976323_Libya%3A_Tim_Hether ington%2C_Oscar-Nominated_Filmmaker_And_Photojournalist_Killed_In_Misratah_Attack

What do you think about this? A tragic loss for a mourning family and for the filmmaking business at large. Do you think this might have some effect on how the conflict in Libya is viewed? One of his last tweets a few moments before his death was, "No sign of NATO."

Deleted
    bad luck
    you can't play in a minefield and be surprised when your leg gets blown off

Deleted
    Do you think this might have some effect on how the conflict in Libya is viewed?
    Its still totally pointless to me.

has the US decided to officially back the rebels as the rightful government yet? last i heard several countries had but not the US.

tbh if the US fully committed this would end a lot easier, easier than Iraq at least. a few stryker teams could wreak havoc on Gadaffi's forces.

10+ Year Old Account
    Journalists going into countries at war know the risks. It's sad, but not surprising this would happen.

Quote Originally Posted by taco avenger View Post
    has the US decided to officially back the rebels as the rightful government yet? last i heard several countries had but not the US.

tbh if the US fully committed this would end a lot easier, easier than Iraq at least. a few stryker teams could wreak havoc on Gadaffi's forces.
    Last I heard, the US is sending surplus military supplies. Nothing else yet. The whole thing has fizzled. Ever since full control was given to NATO it's just seemed like a doomed operation.
    I once had a character named "Clamslam" but Blizzard deemed it inappropriate.
    Retired from WoW: February 19, 2011. It was fun Blizz.

Quote Originally Posted by Shamslam View Post
    Journalists going into countries at war know the risks. It's sad, but not surprising this would happen.
    Yep. They know the risks of going.

Deleted

Theres plenty of oil in Libya, just sayin'

And the rest of the world would snub its nose at the U.S. for getting involved with yet another conflict.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sengura
    So 10 posts and no definitive answer...

TO ELITEST JERKS!
    Quote Originally Posted by PBitt View Post
    People really will find anything to complain about. Too bad I don't care because I quit the game because they made the hunter class color lime green and I think it would be SO much better had it been a grass-colored green.

that whole area disgusts me - so much hate, fighting, violence. I don't think I ever remembered a time when any of those ragheads weren't fighting over something. And the way they treat their women is also disgusting. That whole place is still stuck in the dark ages.

My opinion of that place extends to most parts of africa. Another place that's out of control.

Mod Warning: As said below, opinions are fine. Watch the language though (ragheads)
    Last edited by mmoc0fc091fcb6; 2011-04-20 at 10:05 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by MrSerious View Post
    ragheads
    ? Racism isnt cool.

Libya is no worse than America/UK.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Scotia View Post
    ? Racism isnt cool.

Libya is no worse than America/UK.
    I don't concern myself without the thoughts of ignorant bigots, it's just not worth arguing with them, they won't change their minds. And certainly not by anything but force.

America does not need to get involved over there or anywhere other then america for that matter. so tired of my country going into debt because your country cant control its self. learn to solve your own problems bc im sick of our soldiers dying so you can have "freedom".

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Balo View Post
    America does not need to get involved over there or anywhere other then america for that matter. so tired of my country going into debt because your country cant control its self. learn to solve your own problems bc im sick of our soldiers dying so you can have "freedom".
    Wow, you dont have a clue whats going on.

Wow, you dont have a clue whats going on.
    no im saying I dont want the US involved in any conflict it doesnt need to be in. we have our own problems to fix I dont care about your crap country or what problems its having

Deleted
    no im saying I dont want the US involved in any conflict it doesnt need to be in. we have our own problems to fix I dont care about your crap country or what problems its having
    Yet your own problems were caused by doing the same thing as you'll be doing in Libya

15+ Year Old Account
    Sucks, but sadly it is the risk that journalists take. Not sure what he was expecting from his tweet about NATO. There is only so much they can do. They are tied to only bombing aerial defenses and radar systems along with some targeting of mortars as they are able. They can't take them all out unfortunately. They can't take out ANY of them in residential areas for fear of killing innocent civilians. As soon as a NATO bomb kills a citizen it is a major headline across the world and a source for detractors to leech on and attack NATO for. But in the mean time, the government forces are entrenched in civilian areas killing dozens, hundreds, or thousands of citizens at will. NATO is powerless to stop them without ground incursions or without civilian casualties. Since no commitment is being made to send in ground troops thanks to public outcry from the free countries around the world, the same ones that lament our inaction at stopping these atrocities mind you. Not a lot NATO can do without ground forces.

Welcome to the world where tyrannical leaders use their own citizens as meat shields.

I don't get how his death should influence any views of the conflict any more than the death of a soldier. Just because he's won awards? Nope. It still sucks no matter how you slice it, it isn't any worse because of this.

10+ Year Old Account
    Being the world power many people believe we are obliged to help other countries who ask for it. The Libyan rebels have been begging us.

Anyways, the other option, which is actually pretty likely, is Muslim Brotherhood takes over (places like Libya wouldn't mind this, since they are mainly Muslim), enforce Sharia Law (much worse then the worst kind of a dictatorship), they band all the countries together, and start invading other countries. It is a very real possibility.

Yet your own problems were caused by doing the same thing as you'll be doing in Libya
    If our president was smart he would do NOTHING in libya but he is a liberal so he will get us involved and end up dragging our country down more into the gutter. you people bitch when we get involved and now bitch when we dont.

Deleted
    Libya had the highest living condition (expressed as IDH : Indicateur de développement humain over here, taking into acount alphabétisation, mortality rates and living conditions) of any "southern" country, other than Isreal, so Gadaffi was doing something right.
    Racism is bad m'kay ?

Sad for the reporter, but that's the risk you take when you go into a war zone.

---------- Post added 2011-04-20 at 09:58 PM ----------

If our president was smart he would do NOTHING in libya but he is a liberal so he will get us involved and end up dragging our country down more into the gutter. you people bitch when we get involved and now bitch when we dont.
    For the little I know about American politics : and a republican wouldn't ? Palin would go in all guns blazing. Just saying.