Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

[Music] "Lady" Gaga says no to Weird Al parody (initially)

This is the song, "Perform This Way" a parody of Gaga's "Born This Way": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUxXKfQkswE

This is the whole story on Weird Al's blog: http://alyankovic.wordpress.com/the-gaga-saga/

The whole thing is bogus. Honestly I've never really been into Gaga but begrudgingly I've had to give her a bit of respect for doing what she believes in and supporting so many great causes. However, considering the fact that she demanded that Weird Al record the full song before she denied her approval (and for those who don't know, legally Weird Al does not need an artist's permission to release a parody but it's always been his personal credo to do so) and the fact that all proceeds of sale of the song and the video would go to the Human Rights Campaign, well, it's enough to make me rage!!!

At least Weird Al put it up on the internet.

Mod Edit: Update - Gaga has now approved the parody.
    Last edited by Simca; 2011-04-21 at 01:24 PM.

According to a comment:

"Guys Gaga recently gave permission, guess she couldn't handle the bad press."

I'm a little monster myself and I love the parody. <3

Deleted
    "Every day is Halloween for me" Love it. Weird Al rocks to the moon and back.

Edit : How come theres only 330 views , but like 10k likes ? Bug ?

Sucks that she wouldn't give permission, though I don't honestly think he needs it, nice of him to ask though. To be perfectly honest though, the song's kinda sub-par for Al, imo.

10+ Year Old Account
    He doesn't need her permission to make a parody, but it was nice of him. He could parody any song he wants its not illegal or something like that.
    Quote Originally Posted by ShaftyMcShaft View Post
    Metzen: Magic rainbow ponies.
    Developer 2: Brilliant.
    Metzen: That's why they pay me the big bucks.

10+ Year Old Account
    Great parody, good for him that she changed her mind, kinda funny, i never knew Al donated the money he makes

I always liked that he's a polite guy like that.

but that's actually a really good song :P

Quote Originally Posted by Khaowdruid View Post
    Sucks that she wouldn't give permission, though I don't honestly think he needs it, nice of him to ask though. To be perfectly honest though, the song's kinda sub-par for Al, imo.
    most of his songs are kind of meh, its the videos that make them awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by tkjnz
    If memory serves me right, a fox is a female wolf.

Quote Originally Posted by Twilightdawn View Post
    Great parody, good for him that she changed her mind, kinda funny, i never knew Al donated the money he makes
    I don't think he always does, but to paraphrase from his blog, "I was well aware that “Born This Way” was coming out, and I thought that just might be the pop culture juggernaut I had been waiting for… but after hearing the song, I was reluctant to tackle it. Because it was such an earnest human rights anthem, I thought some people might consider a parody to be in poor taste....I was reasonably sure that my parody wasn’t really going to offend anybody… but I still decided, as an act of good karma, that I would donate all the money from sales of the song and music video to the Human Rights Campaign."

15+ Year Old Account
    Yeah I have to say that this is not one of the finer Wierd Al songs.

Quote Originally Posted by Firebane View Post
    How come theres only 330 views , but like 10k likes ? Bug ?
    There's some issue on YouTube that the view counter stops at ~300 and then picks up again later on. Not sure why.

Deleted
    "Every day is Halloween for me" Love it. Weird Al rocks to the moon and back.

Only seems to update views every day or so, while like/dislikes are instant.

its still a funny song hopefully if the rumor that she changed her mind is true then we'll get to see a hilarious video.

He has his fair use rights. He didn't have to ask her for permission, it's just a policy of his I guess.
    I remember it all too well

Quote Originally Posted by Khaowdruid View Post
    As far as I know, no, he doesn't need to get permission to parody a song, but he's always taken it upon himself to get permission from the original artist first. It's just a professional courtesy thing.

10+ Year Old Account

Views update every hour or so, after 300 that is, and likes and dislikes are instant

15+ Year Old Account
    I found that parody pretty lame to be honest.
    Facilis Descensus Averno

she doesn't like to be made fun of even though shes a walking joke? wow

Poor Weird Al =(
    I thought this song was pretty awesome, better than the original, anyway.

Actually, she will allow the parody.

Check Avclub.com