Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Your Opinion: Best Game for Smooth, Fast-Paced PvP?

I played WoW for about 5 years, off and on. Grew tired of the game and quit awhile back. I've yet to find a game with the same smooth, fast combat system. I've tried many other games, but the balance was off, or it felt clunky, etc. Most games just fall short. Just my opinion on it, as I know plenty of people who hate WoW.

Anyway, I have an itch to play an mmorpg again, but I'd like to try something else. I don't care much about the PvE, it's just something to do when taking a break from PvP. Also, I only really care about endgame PvP, not leveling PvP (Unless leveling via PvP is viable). I've heard the PvP in Rift sucks, but I'm still open to hear your experiences about that, or any games. PC only.

Thank you for your time.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dvdjrkns View Post
    I played WoW for about 5 years, off and on. Grew tired of the game and quit awhile back. I've yet to find a game with the same smooth, fast combat system. I've tried many other games, but the balance was off, or it felt clunky, etc. Most games just fall short. Just my opinion on it, as I know plenty of people who hate WoW.

Anyway, I have an itch to play an mmorpg again, but I'd like to try something else. I don't care much about the PvE, it's just something to do when taking a break from PvP. Also, I only really care about endgame PvP, not leveling PvP (Unless leveling via PvP is viable). I've heard the PvP in Rift sucks, but I'm still open to hear your experiences about that, or any games. PC only.

Thank you for your time.
    Guild Wars, you can start a max level character purely for pvp and then pay to unlock all the skills (that you would otherwise have to unlock through pve or a lot of PvP, and if you're just starting out as a pvp'er, you're not gonna have very many skills)
    Quote Originally Posted by SW:TOR
    Jokerseven - Kinetic Combat Shadow - Praxeum - Canderous Ordo
    Ce'lia - Combat Sentinel - Praxeum - Canderous Ordo
    Sentinel PVE Basics for the two Specs that matter

DC Universe Online. The PvP in that game is incredibly fun. There are regular battlegrounds, the world PvP is pretty balanced, and there are "legends" PvP where you can play as a hero/villain in a battleground. The combat makes PvP extremely fun. The game's max level is also only 30, so you can get to end-game PvP really quickly. The PvP is very much skill based, low levels can beat higher levels if the higher level is lacking in skill.

Deleted
    Bloodlines from funcom ... its not a mmo but a good Arena /Ladder system that feel very balanced.

10+ Year Old Account
    cod, lol. but you probably wanted a PC game.

Deleted
    I'm gonna have to second Bloodline Champions. Started playing the game last week and it's all about arena pvp, with a lot of focus on game-play and skill, not so much gear as they're only in the game for cosmetic reasons. Community is friendly (from my experience) and the game haven't been out very long so you still find a lot of people in the newer skill groups. All of the classes or Bloodlines as they call 'em are fairly balanced, and oooh did I mention its free? Each week you get acces to 4 different Bloodlines that you can play for free.

If you like arena type pvp then BLC is definitely worth at try... and if you do and feel like you wanna do some matches give me a whisp on Rezdog (EU server).

Altho it's not an MMORPG but Bloodline Champions has fast paced and smooth PvP combat that isn't based on gear, but skill.

Arena PvP
    "Loss of blood... My only weakness!"
    ~ Warlord Khan, Magicka

Anyway, if you don't already see where I'm going with this, allow me to spell it out: the only meaningful MMORPG "endgame" -- i.e., something novel to do after the progression process is over -- is that of the sandbox.

not a mmorpg, but Team Fortress 2 is one of the best PvP games I have ever played. 10 varied but balanced classes that are easy to play, hard to master. No leveling, launch the game, connect to a server, pick your class, melt some faces. Just pure fast paced PvP.

Deleted
    Quake 3 hands-on!

Deleted
    Ultima Online has the best MMOrpg pvp ever. Simply because the gameplay is outdated and devloped for 2D ambience, where every single pixel make the difference. No user-friendly, TONS of skills required. You'll easily detect the difference from newbies and skilled players.

Thanks for your thoughts on it. I see multiple votes for Bloodline, so I'm taking a look. I like what I see so far of it.

warsow is pretty good http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QeEan8ZjGmM I don't know how many wow players would like it though, it requires skill....

10+ Year Old Account
    best mmo pvp I experienced was guild wars 1

Quote Originally Posted by h0lyshadow View Post
    Ultima Online has the best MMOrpg pvp ever. Simply because the gameplay is outdated and devloped for 2D ambience, where every single pixel make the difference. No user-friendly, TONS of skills required. You'll easily detect the difference from newbies and skilled players.
    This... UO PVP was the best, and shards still exist, but you can tell it is a game from a decade+ ago.

Warsow reminds me of OpenArena. I'm going to try Bloodline out, it looks like it may be just what I want. Thanks, all!

Deleted
    I am having an absolute hoot with Global Agenda, and it's just gone F2P (although I bought it anyway as you get better XP and loot from missions for the tiny investment).

Missions are similar to Team Fortress but balanced by equalising the classes and levels in each match. Seriously, now this game is free, try it and see what you think (The RPG elements are naff, but add some motivation thru upgrades etc etc).

http://www.globalagendagame.com/

I would recommend league of legends, it may not be the most fast paced game, but it is crazy fun, free, a chill community, and requires minimal leveling.

Link to the site to start account, http://signup.leagueoflegends.com/?ref=4c50f8f768374, and yes it is a referral link.
    Last edited by heyzeus; 2011-04-23 at 04:01 AM.

Heroes of Newerth. Very fast paced and balanced(when your team isn't comprised of terribles)

Quote Originally Posted by kharyll View Post
    not a mmorpg, but Team Fortress 2 is one of the best PvP games I have ever played. 10 varied but balanced classes that are easy to play, hard to master. No leveling, launch the game, connect to a server, pick your class, melt some faces. Just pure fast paced PvP.
    This! Also you can unlock new weapons as you get class acheivements and sometimes randomly pick them up. But they are not super game breaking like they are in other games. A person playing with the original weapons can still beat a person with al the unlocked weapons (if that person is a better player).

Quote Originally Posted by Defengar View Post
    This! Also you can unlock new weapons as you get class acheivements and sometimes randomly pick them up. But they are not super game breaking like they are in other games. A person playing with the original weapons can still beat a person with al the unlocked weapons (if that person is a better player).
    Tf2used to be great, now it's just ruined, crappy class updates pushed it over the edge.