10+ Year Old Account

Heroic Nef 10 man

Its in the thread title but sometimes people still post about 25s so keep this discussion only to the 10 man version of heroic Nef please.

I was hoping that some people who are working on or who have killed this fight on 10 man can help us get the right strat.

At this point, our problem is the adds in P1. We put in some limited attempts a couple weeks ago before moving on, and then a full night last night. The problem we've been having is the add tank being MC'd and even if its broken immediately the adds still cause problems. Initially we were having our Frost DK tank the adds but the MC problem kept messing that up. Then we had our hunter tank with his pet and that seemed to work fine (this was a couple weeks ago). However, when we went back to the hunter pet tanking last night it was getting MC'd when the hunter got MC'd (which wasn't happening before) so that created the same problem as the DK tanking them. We could of course have our DK go blood but our thinking is that would hurt our dps too much for the enrage as well as slowing down killing the adds in P2. How do others handle the adds in P1?

Because of our add issues, we decided that our best approach at this time is to have the Ony tank pick the adds up and popping lust to burn Ony down as fast as possible. This was working pretty well with us able to get to P2 pretty consistently and quickly, but having lust available for P2 might be best if we can get the adds straight in P1 since P2 drains healer mana so the faster we get through that the better off we'll be. We did get an almost clean P2 once and saw P3 for a while, but we had a healer down going into P3 so we weren't able to get a good idea as to how our dps was doing versus the enrage as well as how healer mana would be for the long haul of P3.

So how do you all handle the adds? Do you 3 tank it and still beat the enrage?

Our two tanks are a bear and a warrior, so the other option that we have is for the DK to go blood and tank the adds in P1 while the druid tanks Nef in cat gear and then the DK tanks Nef in P3 while the druid goes cat for dps. Any other suggestions, tips, or strats that work for you all would be appreciated. Our inability to do much with the adds except burn Ony quickly basically limits our strats for the fight since we can't experiment with pushing one electrocute in P1 or spend any time at all dps'ing Nef in P1 or try lusting in P2 so unless/until we can do the adds differently then we don't have a lot of options for our strat.
    Last edited by Wilderness; 2011-04-21 at 11:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wilderness81 View Post
    Its in the thread title but sometimes people still post about 25s so keep this discussion only to the 10 man version of heroic Nef please.

I was hoping that some people who are working on or who have killed this fight on 10 man can help us get the right strat.

At this point, our problem is the adds in P1. We put in some limited attempts a couple weeks ago before moving on, and then a full night last night. The problem we've been having is the add tank being MC'd and even if its broken immediately the adds still cause problems. Initially we were having our Frost DK tank the adds but the MC problem kept messing that up. Then we had our hunter tank with his pet and that seemed to work fine (this was a couple weeks ago). However, when we went back to the hunter pet tanking last night it was getting MC'd when the hunter got MC'd (which wasn't happening before) so that created the same problem as the DK tanking them. We could of course have our DK go blood but our thinking is that would hurt our dps too much for the enrage as well as slowing down killing the adds in P2. How do others handle the adds in P1?

Because of our add issues, we decided that our best approach at this time is to have the Ony tank pick the adds up and popping lust to burn Ony down as fast as possible. This was working pretty well with us able to get to P2 pretty consistently and quickly, but having lust available for P2 might be best if we can get the adds straight in P1 since P2 drains healer mana so the faster we get through that the better off we'll be. We did get an almost clean P2 once and saw P3 for a while, but we had a healer down going into P3 so we weren't able to get a good idea as to how our dps was doing versus the enrage as well as how healer mana would be for the long haul of P3.

So how do you all handle the adds? Do you 3 tank it and still beat the enrage?

Our two tanks are a bear and a warrior, so the other option that we have is for the DK to go blood and tank the adds in P1 while the druid tanks Nef in cat gear and then the DK tanks Nef in P3 while the druid goes cat for dps. Any other suggestions, tips, or strats that work for you all would be appreciated. Our inability to do much with the adds except burn Ony quickly basically limits our strats for the fight since we can't experiment with pushing one electrocute in P1 or spend any time at all dps'ing Nef in P1 or try lusting in P2 so unless/until we can do the adds differently then we don't have a lot of options for our strat.
    In my experience, if your off tank is in Blood, Bear, or Defensive stance, he/she won't be MCed. BTW Get your raid members to get the tol barad trinket. Makes the kill quite easy

---------- Post added 2011-04-21 at 12:45 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Cleaving View Post
    In my experience, if your off tank is in Blood, Bear, or Defensive stance, he/she won't be MCed. BTW Get your raid members to get the tol barad trinket. Makes the kill quite easy
    Also, you don't really need lust to have ony tank do the adds. If you can't kill ony before the adds gimo the tank with cd's etc, then you probably arent ready to kill this boss. We can push p2 after just over 1 minute with an offtank tanking the adds.

Ok this is how we do it. I'm a feral DPS, but I'm using a hybrid spec without imp. charge and Primal Madness, and instead the armor and 12% dr talents. I use full DPS gear.

Our prot paladin tanks Onyxia, the prot warrior picks up the adds, and I'll pick up Nefarion. Now, we've done this with both 3 and 4 healers, but 2 of them stands at Ony healing the paladin and raid, while 1-2 heals me and the warrior, tanking the adds next to Nef. This way, none of the 3 tanks gets MCd.

As for me tanking Nefarion, that's the hardest thing in this phase I guess. I keep demo roar up at all times, and pull him from a distance. I got 4p t11 so longer SI, and with careful timing it will cover two breaths if I pop it as he's casting the breath. Same with Last Stand (glyphed btw). Barkskin can cover bad rng or if healers gets MCd.

Once adds are dead warrior takes over Nef and I'm a DPS for the rest of the fight.

We're burning Onyxia down asap btw.

Hope this help if your bear can regem and reforge to DPS, it's a really fight without and other hard tactics or rng.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cleaving View Post
    In my experience, if your off tank is in Blood, Bear, or Defensive stance, he/she won't be MCed.
    I don't think we tried him in DPS spec with Blood Presence last night but I believe we tried that a couple of weeks ago and he was getting MC'd. If all he needs to be is in blood presence then that should make P1 much simpler for us.

Where do you guys lust - P2 or P3?
    Last edited by Wilderness; 2011-04-21 at 01:40 PM.

We have DK pick up adds, and do a freeze rotation between DK and Mage...leaving the adds in a nice pile for p3.

We 3 heal it. 1 healer on Ony tank, 1 on Nef tank, 1 on kiter. Once the adds are down, the kiter healer goes to Ony tank where the previous healer jumps to Nef and gets prepared to heal 1 electrocute.

After one electrocute, push to phase 2. Phase 2 is the toughest to heal and should be pushed through asap. it should be noted that once the FIRST add dies, phase 3 begins, so unlike normal you do want to time the 3 adds to die at the same time...

Phase 3 is pretty easy, just stack dominion (even healers) and rotate counter clockwise in the middle with add tank going parallel with the group kiting in the back making sure to be in range of heals.

EDIT: We used lust sub 30% once 2 dps got full stacks of dominion. Who dominion picks pretty much determines how fast you kill him, as you can see in the video...he beserked. It's all a dice roll and mostly if you get to phase 3 you will win, so long as you stack dominion properly and kite the correct way.

Here is a video of our realm first kill, it does demonstrate visually almost everything I have detailed here.

Last edited by meroko; 2011-04-21 at 01:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wilderness81 View Post
    I don't think we tried him in DPS spec with Blood Presence last night but I believe we tried that a couple of weeks ago and he was getting MC'd. If all he needs to be is in blood presence then that should make P1 much simpler for us.

Where do you guys lust - P2 or P3?
    We have people pop their Tol Barad trinkets going up the pillars, and lust as soon as we get on pillars to help catch up on healing, and survive the first cinders. We don't really actually need to blood lust for the damage increase, it's more so for the healing.

---------- Post added 2011-04-21 at 03:59 PM ----------

Also found that we had more success pushing p3 with Nefarian sitll at 100%. 1) It makes each pull faster while you learn phase 1 and phase 2, and 2) You'll definitely be able to make up the DPS in p3 if you're going to kill it. If you have a rogue, have a rogue sacrifice a bit of his DPS and FOK with Crip Posion the people that are MCed. EASY 150 stacks. I average 250k dps during my MC'ed time.

10+ Year Old Account
    Meroko - is your DK blood or a dps spec? Does he get MC'd at all?

Thanks to everyone for the information and tips so far.

he is DPS spec and yes he does. in the video it does not happen, but when that does, I either holy wrath or the mage will use his frost nova early. The reason we have healer swap for ONY is because it's extremely mana intensive to heal the ONY tank, he takes the most damage from phase 1 by far. So we split off and mana was much better overall. Having 2 healer use 30% ish mana in phase 1 versus one healer using 70

You should go Frost and kite the adds. If you get MC'd, break out of it quick and pop Coldsnap to be able to CC them/get aggro back on them.

Our bear druid, in over 150 attempts on the boss before kill, never got MC'ed.