My dream MMO:
If you could imagine a tweaked version of Mount & Blade Warband online...
- First off, fantasy not sci-fi
- Action-based combat. Having to click to attack with your sword + combos, also while using your action bar to use your abilities. Also having to aim to cast/shoot also while using your action bar for your spells/abilites.
- This is one of the main reasons I like Rift. 32 classes. Rift really set my standards for classes. In my dream mmo, I would want 32+ classes and being able to intermix 2-3 (preferably 3) classes, like how you can in Rift. Or maybe even make your own class/classes.
- I require a lot of diversity in mmo's, which is something World of Warcraft definetly delivered (though I hate the chartoony graphics). I would defintely like to see plenty of races and colors. Also, I'd like to play as a tribal wolf-person character (no, not a worgen). Kinda like a mahirim from Darkfall, only not as star fox-looking. I'd want it to actually look like a wolf. Though, I don't require this race, I'm fine with a game without it, I'm just saying, it'd be cool to play as that.
- I'd like the world to be extremely diverse as well, and open world. (jungle, iceland, desert, tundra etc, and many fantasy environments like flying cities, cloud castles, crystal mountains, lava pits etc, but not too steampunk-ish)
-Highly customizable character
- Interesting third person action based combat system
- Massive battles with a mix over 300 PC's and NPC's able to be on screen at once, even on fairly basic systems.
- Recruit and train lowly villagers of the various factions and then level them up through the troop tree specialising in ranged/melee and then as they get higher into cavalry units. You then need to make sure you are making enough coin to keep paying them, enough food to keep feeding them and keep their morale up. (I would do away with the special characters though).
- Command your troops in battle and take part in the fighting OR hide behind your troops and just give orders.
- There are quests but you are mainly free to do whatever you like, attack caravans, raid villages, attack towns and castles (you need a good sized warband for this) attack rival warbands, purchase land and start industry. start your own caravans and run trade routes. Plus there is plenty of questing. Towns & castles you take by force can be garrisoned with your own troops and held onto as long as you can fight to keep them.
- Team up with other players in battles, forge alliances, make your own guilds etc.
- I would think that world PvP would be quite common but it would need to be somewhat level restricted and maybe only between warring factions if you have joined a specific faction (in warband you can also defect to another faction if you want).
- Plenty of weapons, armor, books, horses and loot to slavage from battles, trade for or buy. Since we would remove special characters perhaps higher level specialist units could have their weapons and armour upgraded in specific ways for cash.
- Add in crafting to compliment trading (maybe even let people buy land and construct things like blacksmiths where they can queue timed automatic production of recipes they already know and just have to provide raw materials for)
- OUTSIDE OF TOWNS: Obviously do away with the pauseable overland map, but keep the visibility & tracking features but allow our band to ride around the open world. Perhaps instead of riding around the world with your entire army at your back limit it to the scouting party so yourself and say 3-4 NPC riders but if your in a party with other players limit it to the players in your party. Then when battles are joined out in the world the armies would catch up in time for battle. Maybe a floating Number or some sort of pullup info could be available when you see other riders that says how many in their party etc (the better your scouting skill the more info you get) so you know how many troops (and with sufficient scouting skill what types of troops) are in their army.
- INSIDE OF TOWNS: There should be some major towns where everyone is able to be in the town together, but as I said before, being able to build towns: while in your own town it should pretty much be single player, you would enter town on your own or in party with other Players. Tournaments etc would be PVP if there is enough numbers otherwise PvPvE.
Right now that would be the MMORPG that would have me hooked. I know it doesn't exist.. At least, not that I know of. Just note the majority of this stuff is just optional. It's just something I'd like. The main things I'm looking for is diversity, open world, plenty of classes and action-based combat style. The rest would just be awesome to see in a game. (I don't want darkfall or ddo.)