Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Heroics Explained, for those people who still haven't grasped it.

I'm about to break this down as simply as possible, since I am still stunned by the all-consuming wave of stupid that I'm seeing.

Heroics are more challenging versions of encounters that might be unlocked after experiencing normal content.

Alot of people, and I mean a whole lot of people, run around going "hardmodes were the stupidest things blizzard ever did! They just wanted to make more money by letting normal people play wow."

Yes. Cause god-forbid anyone but you and your 5-6 friends should be able to play the game. I'm sensing a bit of butthurt here. As in, the people so hardcore into this game, the outcasts, don't like regular people being as good at mmos as they are. Interesting that when it's put down to skill instead mass amounts of unused time, things seem to balance out.

Why does someone have to be a "bad" if they can only play casually? I mean, I guess having a job or going to school or raising a family, must mean you're a horribly stupid person who couldn't possibly grasp fight mechanics or appreciate an mmo. All the smart people just stayed home and played WoW, right?

I heard that phrase recently. "None of you have ever played or appreciated a real mmo." I'm sorry, but wtf are you talking about? By your definition, how many real mmos are out there then?

Now that I'm done addressing the players, those horrible casuals, why don't we talk about hardmodes themselves.

"Cheap excuses for blizz to not release content!"

No, shut up, Butt-hurt Bobby, and go eat another bag of cheetos.

Let's play out a scenario. I buy the brand new <insert name of FPS here>. It has options for settings on modes. Stuff like "Normal," "Easy," "Hard," and "If somebody sees you in this entire game, you lose." Do I roid rage and throw my controller across the room? Do I go to an internet forum based on the game and piss all over the developers? Do I shed a single tear for the loss of my favorite genre of game, and contemplate suicide since I now have no idea what to do with my life? Do I continue to play on normal mode anyways, but tell everybody about how much better I am and how bad the game is and how good it used to be?

Read: No. Stfu. "hardmodes" have been a part of video games for ages. It's nothing diabolical that blizz designed for WoW to suck everyone's money or postpone content. Content will come out at the same rate is ever. Without heroics, you'll simply run into this problem: You'll only have 1-2 instances to farm for loot before raiding, cause all the others you leveled up through will be too low and their gear will suck. You'll either breeze through raids, or hit your head against the wall until the day new content comes out. Everyone seems to complain because "I've cleared normal." Good. Now go back and gear your guildies up. I guarantee you clearing it once didn't get every single person their tier. That's been a universal truth since vanilla. Get off your high horse and stop pretending you're the only person who ever played the original version of the game. There's plenty of people who did. Plenty of people who kicked ass in vanilla and took names, and still enjoy the game. Why? Cause it's a game.

And stop saying "Well if I've done normal, I've seen all the content. So meh." Have you done Synestra? No? Have you done all the achievements for the drakes? No? Then get off the message boards and go do them. You haven't experienced all the content. There's more to do and see. You're just scared you'll have trouble with them, and then you can't brag about facerolling Chogall. You wanna be able to see Ragnaros's legs? Then you need to be doing hardmodes.

To all the people like "Vanilla used to be SO HARD. People just can't appreciate how HARD it was. Everything used to be hardmode! Nobody knows but me!" Again, I think you're confusing "hard" with "time-consuming." I know people who went into ZG and other vanilla raids with blues and greens to get geared up. In VANILLA. And their friends helped them FARM it for gear. Yes. Wake up. It wasn't what you've made it out to be. The skill is the same people. It's just more accessable now to people with less time on their hands.

To all the people saying "WoW is worthless now. I don't even like it." Then why are you playing? Go get a life.

And then "I quit giving blizzard my money years ago!"..... Then you're eithe 1) lying. Or 2) the most pitiful person I've ever met, if you're still online qqing about things after you quit playing.

If blizzard had left things exactly like they were, never changed anything from vanilla, and just fed you more time-consuming and painful content, the game would be dead. Then you'd have nothing to qq about. And you guys? You qq about everything. You're like the WoW versions of the idiots from WBC.

/rant

I'm done. I've said my peace. I don't care about your whining, or your representing everyone who played vanilla with your ignorant, emo opinions. And neither does blizzard. I've said it before, and I'll say it again. The 90% of casuals who enjoy this, play more and pay more than your 10% butt-hurt friends. Eat more cheetos whiners, or gtfo.

EDIT: And it's not TL/DR. it's not like you have anything better to do with your time.

Deleted
    TL/DR, tho I did just skim a few words and for the ppls who want the shorter part >>>>> I want 4.2 now QQ?

Jesus christ... This is why they taught you to read in school bro... My post didn't even mention 4.2 DX

I've never personally seen anyone say "Lol I cleared normal this is too easy lolol", but I do know these select few... special players... exist. I'd probably just ignore them. If people troll for attention, don't get caught.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nos View Post
    You're like the WoW versions of the idiots from WBC
    You win 1 Internets for that comparison alone.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

It seams like your grouping Heroic deungeons, and raids which I think is really bad. I dobut that most people have issues with the idea of having heroic versions of regular deungeons. I Personally like the idea of heroic deungens.

It's heroic raids I have a problem with. This has nothing to do with casual vs. hardcore, becuase the amount of which you play wow doesn't really matter all that much provided you can play enough at a time to be able to kill/progress/experience what ever it is your (and your guilds) hearts desire. With the possible exception of vanilla wow ( I've left this out as I didn't raid endgame back then), it's been possible to clear the latest/hardest raid avaliable in 1 night (provided skills of the guild/raidgroup).

What bothers me about Heroic raids is the way I feel it's build so it goes Tier1 normal --> tier1 hc -->tier 2 normal --> tier 2 hc. ect. (with tier1 = the first raidtier off a given expansionset). After having cleared a raid on normal I feel like I'm done with that raid. - I've experienced all bosses (for the most part), have gotten through all the quests/lore of that raid, so starting at boss 1 with it having a new ablility or it doing 10% more dmg isn't exciting for me, because killing it just doesn't add a new experience/sense of achievement for me.
    Likewise the whole achievement system doesn't add replay/value to me. I really don't care if I get +10 points (which can't be uses for anything), for killing a boss while doing backflips blindfolded.

I'd personally like it more if the progression path wen't from tier1 hc --> tier 2 hc, and tier1 normal --> tier 2 normal. The only way to do this though was if tier1 hc awarded same (or higher) ilvl gear as tier2 normal.
    This way people would be able to raid the same raids they do now, but I'd have more fun, as I wouldn't be forced to do normal modes before experience the hard bosses.
    Last edited by minimow; 2011-04-22 at 06:02 PM.

i agree with OP on the most part, one thing, probably the only thing I would like to go back to vanilla style, is rep grinding. It should be amazing to get exalted with any faction. Also in with that I don't think rep grinding should be a necessity like it is now for head and shoulder slot enchants. I have 10 toons I don't want to have to grind exalted therazane rep on all my toons. (the shoulder enchants aren't BoA). other than that I like my flying and dungeon queues (tho i do like to use the LFG channel occasionally as well). Blizz is doing a relatively good job, cata has been my least favourite expac, but hey in a tier or 2 i might change my tune.

TLR make rep grinding harder, but less necessary.

10+ Year Old Account
    Read it all, liked it all, love you.

Casuals make the game, dare i mention something else? Most normal world of warcraft players don't visit this website, so you don't see their opinion as often as this lad, well done.
    8700K (5GHz) - Z370 M5 - Mugen 5 - 16GB Tridentz 3200MHz - GTX 1070Ti Strix - NZXT S340E - Dell 24' 1440p (165Hz)

I really dont see how heroics are explained in this thread, as far as the "wave of stupid" goes.. dont let that get to you my friend, it is just humanity at its best. btw, acheivment whoring isnt part of experiencing new content, it's just another chore to occupy time.

OP, do you even have an argument here? you are on here crying just as much as the people you are whining about. You bounce around 10 different issues which make no sense, and you offer no support for them besides meaningless insults and garbage. This is why they teach you how to write in school, bro.

You probably could have said all that without the butthurt/whiners/cheetos comments. That would make a shorter post and add validity to your argument - all I see when I read it is a spiteful person using logical fallacies to support their argument.

I agree with the gist of what you said, but horrible presentation. Food for thought...

I don't know if I should be laughing, but I am (I think it's because you remind me of Maddox)... Regardless, I agree.
    Last edited by noteworthynerd; 2011-04-22 at 06:22 PM.

I'll agree with everything said so far.

Especially Dios.

And as for the tier, I'll agree on that too. I think it'd be perfectly fine is t1H was as high as t2. That way you could go straight into t2H. Course, I'm also the guy who thinks that legendaries should be next x-pac level in stats.

---------- Post added 2011-04-22 at 01:15 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by McCheese View Post
    OP, do you even have an argument here? you are on here crying just as much as the people you are whining about. You bounce around 10 different issues which make no sense, and you offer no support for them besides meaningless insults and garbage. This is why they teach you how to write in school, bro.

My points made fine sense. I'm not really sure what you're talking about. I was pointing out, I am fed up with people whining about missing vanilla. Of course there were insults.

Also, please explain my logical fallacies?

It's called a rant for a reason.

And to whoever was talking about heroics not being something "new" and it's just repeating the normal mode with a few extra abilities. How do you propose Blizzard fixes this? Do you have any bright ideas for new bosses, new mechanics, etc.? It seems like you have no idea what goes into game development. The fact that Blizzard is pushing new or updated content every 6-8 months is incredible. Not to mention they are constantly tweaking and improving the current content/features. I think people forget how busy Blizzard actually is. It's not like they released Cataclysm and took 4 months off before designing Firelands. They began working on it right away (likely before Cataclysm was even released).
    Last edited by oatmealpoet; 2011-04-22 at 06:20 PM.

^

Thanks. This wasn't an english exposition. I don't have to avoid slang and insults.

It all made sense to me. And it was all true. Maybe if it weren't true you wouldn't be butt hurt? Maybe?
    Drunk toddlers in a dryer

Best thread on these forums in awhile.

Sig by Visenna

That right click switch to hardmode interface surely took some epicness out of encounters for me but well so be it. Honestly I am not sure even more though which posts are worse - the constant vanilla nostalgia onces or the omg I know best and everything is better ones. I guess both are really annoying.

The point here is that hard modes do not come in the place of new content. If you took them away you'd still get content patches at the same rate but each patch would only have one level of difficulty so you'd either be screwing the 90% of normals or the 10% of people who live in wow. The people complaining aren't really complaining about anything they've lost. They can still breeze through reg on opening weekend because its so easy and then jump into hard mode and play the game the way they want it to be. They really just dont like that fact that everyone gets to see the content now. They really got their sense of worth by the fact that so many others were excluded. The cool kids club isn't cool if everyone gets to join. Kind of like how mountain climbers would feel if someone build a staircase on the back side of the mountain that takes you to the top. They could still climb the hard side. They would have the same challenge and get the same enjoyment. And most of them would be ok with that. But the elitist pricks among them would lose their sense of superiority when they reach the top and there's a kid eating an ice cream cone from the concession stand. How is that kid supposed to know how awesome the guy is if the kid is free to assume he took the stairs too? It's about other people knowing you're better than them because you're wearing tier gear and they're not. How else are you supposed to have self esteem?
    Drunk toddlers in a dryer

Quote Originally Posted by Toffie View Post
    Read it all, liked it all, love you.

Casuals make the game, dare i mention something else? Most normal world of warcraft players don't visit this website, so you don't see their opinion as often as this lad, well done.
    Have ruined the game maybe.