Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    That says it's an average

---------- Post added 2011-04-24 at 01:16 PM ----------

Shadowflame + Havoc = ahmahgawd look at those numbers I love this fight

Man, I'd like to find a better raiding guild ... but the one I'm in fits my schedule and most of the better guilds on my server have their raid spots already down on lock, and I can't afford a server transfer until after the summer at the earliest.

We've been stuck at 9/12 reg modes for a couple months now. Carrying so many scrubs that are holding us back ...

Shadowflaming parasites while they're being kited is pure meter padding. Hardly a legit tactic.

That'd be so true if that silly havoc spell didn't exist

Thanks for all the help

Quote Originally Posted by Dreyks View Post
    Wow, then i had wrong info about top dps, sorry.

how is it that statofdps has it 41k max?
    Pretty sure SoD is average data, people just always abuse what that site displays without thinking about it.
    I am the lucid dream
    Uulwi ifis halahs gag erh'ongg w'ssh

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by nilnar View Post
    Shadowflaming parasites while they're being kited is pure meter padding. Hardly a legit tactic.
    This sounds like a raging non-Warlock. It is entirely false. A Warlock doing this will *easily* be the top damage to Magmaw, Exposed Head of Magmaw, and Parasites. The only target he won't be a definite #1 on is the adds, which got nerfed to the ground so who cares anyway. Considering you can force the spawns if you have the add tank, destro lock, and healer back in the back and rest up front, it is a great tactic. Add the glyph of shadowflame and it's even more legit. It is 1 GCD and does extremely effective damage to the boss, which is what you are trying to kill. Don't pull aggro on the lava parasites, that's the only minor concern with this strat.

Also, BoDoom the exposed head, it stays up and ticking.

You should only bother with BoH target switching in normal mode...get DBM and just throw it up on the active target 2sec before it goes up/down. On heroic, leave on Magmaw the entire time.
    Warlock spamming chain-fear since '05
    Death Knight Priest Hunter
    Paladin Mage Druid Rogue

Will never roll a Warrior or Shaman

Yes, I am a Sylvanas fanboy.

from what i know, boh will double dip on the buffs/debuffs on the target itself, and will remain on the target even if the target comes out of play, i.e. magmaws head, ods inactive 'trons.
    so boh on the head will remain even if magmaw's head goes back up, the boh will double dip with the 100%(?) increased dmg + 8% from coe or equivalent, so the dmg the boh will deal on the head becomes 15x2x1.08=32.4%.
    why would you ever take off boh from magmaw's head?

I'm like 95% sure that BoH does not benefit from damage taken debuffs like the ones on halfus or magmaw's head

---------- Post added 2011-04-24 at 10:38 PM ----------

unless someone has evidence otherwise, which would be great

Quote Originally Posted by jjj View Post
    from what i know, boh will double dip on the buffs/debuffs on the target itself, and will remain on the target even if the target comes out of play, i.e. magmaws head, ods inactive 'trons.
    so boh on the head will remain even if magmaw's head goes back up, the boh will double dip with the 100%(?) increased dmg + 8% from coe or equivalent, so the dmg the boh will deal on the head becomes 15x2x1.08=32.4%.
    why would you ever take off boh from magmaw's head?
    If that was true then you could find warlock with at least 20% of his damage coming from Bane of Havoc on that fight, which you can't.

As I am not that experienced with Magmaw HC I cant say this for sure, but it looks to me that this tactic with Shadowflaming adds is used purely for meter padding, which is fun and acceptable if you have this boss on farm.

It's definitely not padding, unless doing more damage to the boss and killing it quicker is padding.

One more proof that this is meter padding comes from the fact that you ask your guild not to aoe worms so you could have better uptime of shadowflame dot on those and menage to take that first place on WoL.

But I am perfectly fine with this, I do it too, I have asked disc priest and other healers from my guild to help me survive whole Chogal fight with 100% Corruption just so I could spam instant dots and Soul fires and top meters.

The first place record is a pure vanity thing, the fact that people decided to aoe the adds (which is definitely padding) cuts into my potential bane dps and slows down the fight, which is asinine

---------- Post added 2011-04-25 at 01:00 AM ----------

though the cho'gall trick isn't padding either so maybe you're working off a different definition than I am

Quote Originally Posted by Anyasha View Post
    This sounds like a raging non-Warlock. It is entirely false. A Warlock doing this will *easily* be the top damage to Magmaw, Exposed Head of Magmaw, and Parasites. The only target he won't be a definite #1 on is the adds, which got nerfed to the ground so who cares anyway. Considering you can force the spawns if you have the add tank, destro lock, and healer back in the back and rest up front, it is a great tactic. Add the glyph of shadowflame and it's even more legit. It is 1 GCD and does extremely effective damage to the boss, which is what you are trying to kill. Don't pull aggro on the lava parasites, that's the only minor concern with this strat.

Also, BoDoom the exposed head, it stays up and ticking.

You should only bother with BoH target switching in normal mode...get DBM and just throw it up on the active target 2sec before it goes up/down. On heroic, leave on Magmaw the entire time.
    Raging? No. I don't know how you got that from my post at all. Non-warlock? Nope. I simply hadn't considered using BoH in this way before (I spec affliction for Magmaw heroic), and was already corrected.

---------- Post added 2011-04-25 at 09:32 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Penguin FTW View Post
    I'm like 95% sure that BoH does not benefit from damage taken debuffs like the ones on halfus or magmaw's head

---------- Post added 2011-04-24 at 10:38 PM ----------

unless someone has evidence otherwise, which would be great
    It seems odd that most of those logs are pushing 15% damage done with BoH. I would have thought that with no damage boosts the limit would be about 13% (think 15 is about 13% of 115) even with 100% BoH uptime, which isn't possible on Magmaw. Have I missed something?

Quote Originally Posted by nilnar View Post
    It seems odd that most of those logs are pushing 15% damage done with BoH. I would have thought that with no damage boosts the limit would be about 13% (think 15 is about 13% of 115) even with 100% BoH uptime, which isn't possible on Magmaw. Have I missed something?
    It is proofed that BoH double dips into CoE, so if you put CoE on same mob as BoH, this spell will do (15*1.08)% of the damage you do on other targets, maybe there are other debuffs that act like CoE, but I think those are not documented and +crit debufs couldn't be in this group as BoH can't crit.

Quote Originally Posted by randa View Post
    It is proofed that BoH double dips into CoE, so if you put CoE on same mob as BoH, this spell will do (15*1.08)% of the damage you do on other targets, maybe there are other debuffs that act like CoE, but I think those are not documented and +crit debufs couldn't be in this group as BoH can't crit.
    I'm calculating 108% damage done to main target. Meaning 108*0.15*1.08=17.5% damage done to secondary target.
    17.5/[17.5+108]=~14%

So its still short of the 15+ shown in some of those logs. Obviously it could just be a log error, its by no means proof of the head taking extra damage, but I'm not sure what else it could be. I can't think of a singly debuff that would affect BoH aside from CoE. Also bear in mind that I don't think many of the logs have a CoE up on the parasites (ie. no affliction lock, and nobody else aoeing the adds).
    Last edited by nilnar; 2011-04-25 at 09:11 AM.

Whether or not there's CoE on whatever you're DPSing is irrelevant. As long as CoE is on your BoH target it will do 1.15 * 1.08 of whatever damage you deal to other targets. But yes, that's only 14% or so of your total damage.

What's actually happening is that when you have your BoH on Magmaw and he goes inactive, the BoH damage transfers to your current target, which is the exposed head. This "transferred" BoH damage double dips from the 100% buff to your damage on the head, resulting in BoH doing about 24.5% of your damage during the head phase.

EDIT: Here's an example from last Tuesday:
    [19:40:19.328] Kythra Conflagrate Exposed Head of Magmaw *67524*
    [19:40:20.137] Kythra Bane of Havoc Exposed Head of Magmaw 21878

67524 * 0.15 * 1.08 * 2 = 21878
    Last edited by Gobuchul; 2011-04-25 at 09:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gobuchul View Post
    Whether or not there's CoE on whatever you're DPSing is irrelevant. As long as CoE is on your BoH target it will do 1.15 * 1.08 of whatever damage you deal to other targets. But yes, that's only 14% or so of your total damage.

What's actually happening is that when you have your BoH on Magmaw and he goes inactive, the BoH damage transfers to your current target, which is the exposed head. This "transferred" BoH damage double dips from the 100% buff to your damage on the head, resulting in BoH doing about 24.5% of your damage during the head phase.

EDIT: Here's an example from last Tuesday:
    [19:40:19.328] Kythra Conflagrate Exposed Head of Magmaw *67524*
    [19:40:20.137] Kythra Bane of Havoc Exposed Head of Magmaw 21878

67524 * 0.15 * 1.08 * 2 = 21878
    Niceone.23

remember also that your pets damage doesnt give havoc damage

10+ Year Old Account
    I will have to try this on my next encounter with Magmaw.