Question about processor / GPU and heat

Okay so i was just wondering

Say i turn down all graphics on games and inside the desktop for a better performance, i am just wondering by doing this will my GPU and / Or my processor work better and not bring out as much heat as someone playing with his (or her's ) graphics turned way up

I'm trying to have my PC last as long as possible and figure this would be good to do to add more years to it

True, lowering your graphics settings will most likely reduce the temperatures your computer reaches (provided you have a good airflow), which will in turn most likely increase it's lifetime. Nothing's guaranteed though.

30 fps on Ultra or 100 fps on Low might be the same load on the GPU. The load will be lower if you can limit the max fps in some way.
    A good way to add more years to it is to get a good case with a good airflow and cooling. Not limiting the graphic settings.
    Last edited by haxartus; 2011-04-23 at 09:54 AM.

It's not possible to give exact numbers, so here's just a rough guesstimate to give you an idea of how much difference it makes...

Current CPUs last around 50 years if used at minimum speed and voltage all the time (for example running i5-2500K at 16x multiplier always). If you run it always at maximum stock multiplier (33x) the lifetime drops to around 15-25 years, so it's rather large difference, half of the time gone. If you overclock it to let's say 48x you again drop lifetime to half, into 7-10 year range. It might sound like a big deal, but let's put things into perspective...

Do you think you'll be using the same computer still in 10 years? How about 5 years?

It's going to be collecting dust by then, long before the natural lifespan of the computer pieces comes up. It's possible to extend the lifetime of components, yes, but does it make any meaningful difference? No.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

10+ Year Old Account
    That's like buying a brand new cricket bat and then avoiding hitting the ball too hard because you want your bat to last longer.
    Every part in your PC should be able to perform at it's maximum and still last for years, that's what it's built for - unless you're overclocking (with voltage tweaks) OR your your current setup is so clogged with dust that it's letting things overheat.

The ONLY reason you should need to turn down settings is if you're lagging too badly to play at higher settings.
    WoW Character: Wintel - Frostmourne (OCE)
    Gaming rig: i7 7700K, GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4, BenQ 144hz 1440p

Signature art courtesy of Blitzkatze