Thread: Am3+

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzykins View Post
    So then we can put it in a simplified statement:
    AMD might take the cake for workbench platforms.
    Intel will remain the top performance CPU in gaming.
    How is this any different than anything else in the last ~3 years?
    Then Sandybridge-E and Ivy Bridge will come, and AMD will be behind again for awhile like normal.(Anyone care to take a guess on how long they'll be behind for this time?)
    Intel Core i7 5820K @ 4.2GHz | Asus X99 Deluxe Motherboard | 16GB Crucial DDR4 2133 | MSI GTX 980 4G GAMING | Corsair HX750 Gold | 500GB Samsung 840 EVO

What's all the hatred towards AMD ? It's not in your interest if the Bulldozer sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzykins View Post
    So then we can put it in a simplified statement:
    AMD might take the cake for workbench platforms.
    Intel will remain the top performance CPU in gaming.
    How is this any different than anything else in the last ~3 years?
    By doing something similar to the i7-2600K. Even though it only has 4 cores, it actually runs 8 threads by creating logical cores. This allows it to do very well (and even better then the 6-core) on mutli-threaded applications while still offering high performance on single-threaded due to its 3.4GHz base clock.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by haxartus View Post
    What's all the hatred towards AMD ? It's not in your interest if the Bulldozer sucks.
    Oh I would absolutely LOVE if Bulldozer was amazing, but there's too much hype and not enough proof for it just like the Phenom II's before release. I do love AMD, they do make quality products that perform well for the price but they in no way control even a small portion of the high end market and haven't for a lonnnnnnnnnnnnnng time.(Core 2 anyone?) There was so much hype around the Phenom II's being AMD's big break back into the High End Market, but they were simply competition for the Core 2's and ended up disappointing those who waited in anticipation.

So it's not that I hate AMD, I've just lost faith.
    Last edited by Saithes; 2011-04-23 at 07:32 PM.
    Intel Core i7 5820K @ 4.2GHz | Asus X99 Deluxe Motherboard | 16GB Crucial DDR4 2133 | MSI GTX 980 4G GAMING | Corsair HX750 Gold | 500GB Samsung 840 EVO

There is no need to talk about core counts once we passed four, maybe even two. You can't compare CPUs based on core counts any longer, only performance in various benchmarks that are important to you.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by lanerios View Post
    I'd recommend against a bulldozer timelord, purely because it will be replaced someday.. That's IT for you, deal with it.

Don't say people shouldn't buy it just because they will have to replace it somday. Everything will need to be replaced.
    Wow...

I'm sorry if I didn't myself clear. I'm not saying it's a bad idea buying into a bulldozer rig eventually, I'm just saying that doing it right now (by getting a rig with an AM3+ board) when there's no info on how well it will perform probably isn't the best idea. I'm well aware that everything moves fast in the computer world and that upgrades and replacements are eventually mandatory.

15+ Year Old Account
    This side of an imaginary line in the sand
    Quote Originally Posted by muCephei View Post
    By doing something similar to the i7-2600K. Even though it only has 4 cores, it actually runs 8 threads by creating logical cores. This allows it to do very well (and even better then the 6-core) on mutli-threaded applications while still offering high performance on single-threaded due to its 3.4GHz base clock.
    Considering how ancient the K10.5 architecture is and the X6's, while getting beaten, still manage to at least keep up to some extent says a lot of how well I expect Bulldozer to perform against Intel's overvalued Hyperthreading garbage. Considering it will be 8 mostly real cores against 4 real cores and 4 crappy vcores, or 4 overloaded pipes basically, since that's what HT basically does in heavy threading...

At stock, I doubt an i7 2600 will beat bulldozer, and I have a suspicion it won't even keep up in this area.

That said, this says nothing in terms of game performance as Intel likes to sleep around with game developers, and nothing in terms overclocking ability and performance gain there, since no one has a Bulldozer core to try it with.

It's not like AMD doesn't know what they are doing. Fitting 2 extra cores into the same dinosaur architecture, at the same process size, increasing clock speed and keeping the chip in the same TDP level as a Deneb is rather impressive to me.

Side note: I am not an AMD fangirl so don't try it D:<
    Good, because that's my title. Sort of.

Actually I kinda forfeited it when I got a 2500K...

But I am getting a Brazos netbook soon!

Edit: Also note how I didn't say anything about the LGA2011 i7's. Pretty sure those will murder Bulldozer (and also your wallet).
    red panda red panda red panda!

Quote Originally Posted by Saithes View Post
    Oh I would absolutely LOVE if Bulldozer was amazing, but there's too much hype and not enough proof for it just like the Phenom II's before release. I do love AMD, they do make quality products that perform well for the price but they in no way control even a small portion of the high end market and haven't for a lonnnnnnnnnnnnnng time.(Core 2 anyone?) There was so much hype around the Phenom II's being AMD's big break back into the High End Market, but they were simply competition for the Core 2's and ended up disappointing those who waited in anticipation.

So it's not that I hate AMD, I've just lost faith.

Just like the hype with the I-5 and I-7? Ow wait.. that were ofcourse perfect items right? Or the hype with the Sandybridge stuff, which wrecked your pc.
    Stop saying AMD is the only one..

Quote Originally Posted by Asera View Post
    Considering how ancient the K10.5 architecture is and the X6's, while getting beaten, still manage to at least keep up to some extent says a lot of how well I expect Bulldozer to perform against Intel's overvalued Hyperthreading garbage
    Good, because that's my title. Sort of.

Actually I kinda forfeited it when I got a 2500K...

But I am getting a Brazos netbook soon!

Edit: Also note how I didn't say anything about the LGA2011 i7's. Pretty sure those will murder Bulldozer (and also your wallet).
    The X6's DO preform extremely well on multi-threaded applications but lose badly on single-threaded applications. Bulldozer will also have to preform well in this area if they're going to keep up >_>

But both of your CPU-Z's are Intel! :P
    I know it'll murder my wallet, but I still kind of want one >_>
    Last edited by muCephei; 2011-04-24 at 02:46 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    This side of an imaginary line in the sand
    Quote Originally Posted by muCephei View Post
    But both of your CPU-Z's are Intel! :P
    I know it'll murder my wallet, but I still kind of want one >_>
    My main server is an X6, and it used to be my workstation. That and I use exclusively ATi/AMD GPU's.
    red panda red panda red panda!

Quote Originally Posted by Asera View Post
    My main server is an X6, and it used to be my workstation. That and I use exclusively ATi/AMD GPU's.
    Ah. And yes, if that's the case you do get to keep your fangirl title :P

I just don't care. That's not to say I don't prefer some brands, but I mostly get what works (i.e. I love Corsair's cases and PSUs, but prefer G.Skill memory...not that I have G.Skill RAM...I've been waiting to get a little more money to upgrade)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by lanerios View Post
    Just like the hype with the I-5 and I-7? Ow wait.. that were ofcourse perfect items right? Or the hype with the Sandybridge stuff, which wrecked your pc.
    Stop saying AMD is the only one..
    It's either AMD or Intel.. Not like there's another manufacturer in the Consumer CPU market anymore. Click the link in my signature... I have Sandybridge. As stated I love AMD, but they have yet to be on top in 5 years. I have two Phenom II builds, an X3 and an X6 and I love them both but neither of them stand up to my 2600K. I agree Intel has a ton of hype and fanboyism around them but it is justified considering how much of the market they've controlled and for how long. I'm praying AMD pulls through with Bulldozer and it isn't a fluke like the first gen Phenom's but there's not much to hold my breath on because AMD hasn't been very public about how Bulldozer will actually perform.