Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Window Media Player= Huge fps increase?

Its very strange, but the other day i had windows media player open while playing wow, and i turned my setting up to almost all ultra, and i ran at 40 fps, normally i can barely run at 20 with lower settings, anyone know why this happens?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lackluster View Post
    True, but the difference is that in GTA3 you're only shooting (and robbing, murdering, having sex with, etc) pixels. In WOW you get the pleasure of dealing with some of the most despicable human behaviour you'll ever witness.
    To True.

10+ Year Old Account
    No clue. I always ran WoW with media player on and couldn't play with everything on Ultra. I also never noted a fps increase or decrease when running without Windows Media Player.

Quote Originally Posted by Koen View Post
    No clue. I always ran WoW with media player on and couldn't play with everything on Ultra. I also never noted a fps increase or decrease when running without Windows Media Player.
    the only thing i didnt have on ultra was the water and shadow quality, but still with everything on good i barely run at 20 as i said before, and i have a pretty lame computer when it comes to gaming
    True, but the difference is that in GTA3 you're only shooting (and robbing, murdering, having sex with, etc) pixels. In WOW you get the pleasure of dealing with some of the most despicable human behaviour you'll ever witness.
    To True.

http://forums.srcds.com/viewtopic/1094

It shouldn't really do anything anymore, but that's been around for a LONG time.
    EVGA Classified SR-2 | Intel Xeon X5680 x 2 | Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 6 x 2GB | XFX HD5970 x 2
    Intel PRO/1000 PT Server NIC | ASUS Xonar DX | Corsair AX1200 | Corsair TX750
    OCZ Vertex2 60GB | WD Velociraptor 300GB x 2 | Samsung Spinpoint MP4 500GB
    EK-FB SR2 - Acetal+Nickel | EK-Supreme HF - Acetal x 2 | EK-FC5970 Acetal x 2
    Thermochill TA120.4 x 3 | Thermochill TA120.3 | Swiftech MCP655 x 2

Deleted
    Yeah isnt this old stuff? Didnt know it still worked....

It should've been fixed long ago.

Anyway, here's bit more official information on the multicore timing tweaks regarding WoW
    http://www.wowpedia.org/CVar_timingMethod
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

It seems to be working the same for me, i turned my view distance all the way up and seem to be doing better than normal

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by trickster0306 View Post
    the only thing i didnt have on ultra was the water and shadow quality, but still with everything on good i barely run at 20 as i said before, and i have a pretty lame computer when it comes to gaming
    Ah then it is exactly the same. Those are the only two things I never put on Ultra either, I always put Shadow quality at good and water at fair.

Still my point stands, I never noticed this fps increase. I do however, have occasional fps increases to a stable 60 for weeks and then to ~10/15 for weeks. I never figured out what caused these massive peaks in my fps.

Quote Originally Posted by Koen View Post
    Ah then it is exactly the same. Those are the only two things I never put on Ultra either, I always put Shadow quality at good and water at fair.

Still my point stands, I never noticed this fps increase. I do however, have occasional fps increases to a stable 60 for weeks and then to ~10/15 for weeks. I never figured out what caused these massive peaks in my fps.
    could be your internet?
    To True.

Your network connection doesn't affect your FPS. You could lag out with 5000ms and be doing so at 100fps
    EVGA Classified SR-2 | Intel Xeon X5680 x 2 | Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 6 x 2GB | XFX HD5970 x 2
    Intel PRO/1000 PT Server NIC | ASUS Xonar DX | Corsair AX1200 | Corsair TX750
    OCZ Vertex2 60GB | WD Velociraptor 300GB x 2 | Samsung Spinpoint MP4 500GB
    EK-FB SR2 - Acetal+Nickel | EK-Supreme HF - Acetal x 2 | EK-FC5970 Acetal x 2
    Thermochill TA120.4 x 3 | Thermochill TA120.3 | Swiftech MCP655 x 2

Is your media player disabling Aero? Whats your OS?

I remember using that for playing counter-strike several years ago. Didnt know that stuff worked anymore

Deleted
    If you have a web browser open with a hardware accelerated flash video or flash based website open, it tends to reserve a portion of GPU clock cycles even when not being played or used. An annyoing issue marketed as a feature, but can be averted with disabling the HW acceleration in the flash options. What likely happens if this is the case, is that media player overrides whatever priorities flash player takes and FPS more or less returns to normal instead of being increased. Just a thought as it took a while for me to figure out and was causing annoying FPS drops, especially in WoW as I often have at least a couple youtube vids in the background on the browser.

Quote Originally Posted by babyback View Post
    I remember using that for playing counter-strike several years ago. Didnt know that stuff worked anymore
    It was mostly for hosting games, not for playing them, playing developer mode for more than 100 fps did wonky things on the HL1 engine. I used to use flash to help me run several 1000 tickrate cs 1.6 servers back in the day (on the non linux hlds servers).

Quote Originally Posted by ayako View Post
    Is your media player disabling Aero? Whats your OS?
    im using windows 7 64bit
    To True.

Does running Media Player disable your Aero?

Quote Originally Posted by ayako View Post
    Does running Media Player disable your Aero?
    not really sure what do you mean aero, im not very good at the actual technical stuff when it comes to comps
    To True.

Windows Media Player increases the Windows Kernel Timer Resolution. So does any random flash applet. This was used alot on Windows HLDS servers. I never thought this would still work on clients running WoW with W7...

i did have a youtube video running in the background, do you think it could be that?
    To True.

not really sure what do you mean aero, im not very good at the actual technical stuff when it comes to comps
    Do your Windows keep transparency?

Quote Originally Posted by Kait View Post
    Windows Media Player increases the Windows Kernel Timer Resolution. So does any random flash applet. This was used alot on Windows HLDS servers. I never thought this would still work on clients running WoW with W7...
    Windows XP had a 10 second millisecond timer, and Windows 7 is already 1 millisecond by default I believe.

i did have a youtube video running in the background, do you think it could be that?
    Flash OR WMP should do the same thing so you wouldn't need to have both running to see the effect. Another thing is I guess your GPU clocking could be buggy and only having Hardware Acceleration is making it clock up. Download GPU-Z and check the clocks when you launch your game.