Just approach Guild Wars 2 as one would Skyrim or Gothica. You can play those games for years w/o chasing carrots [so to speak] or play for a few months, put down and maybe return a few months later or on a weekend. No loss of personal progression in either, still lots to goof around with in-game and you are not paying out of pocket monthly for access. You bought it. You own it now, forever.

The concept is pretty reasonable as I see it.

10+ Year Old Account
    There is still gear progression, it's just not a treadmill. Plus zones don't ever really become obsolete. There will be plenty of things to do in this game once you hit 80. They do want people to play this game for prolonged amounts of time, otherwise WvWvW and large dynamic events would get botched, and people have to be playing the game to purchase stuff from the store, which will be a vital source of income.
    Last edited by Loaf Lord; 2012-05-03 at 06:19 PM.

Well I've played GW1 off and on ever since it released. GW2 has a similar philosophy so I don't really see this as an issue. I mean yeah if people do prefer that gear upgrade treadmill to keep them playing then I suppose this game wouldn't work for them. Although I'd argue that getting different armor sets could suffice for that kind of desire (unless you really want that increasing power progression).

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Just approach Guild Wars 2 as one would Skyrim or Gothica. You can play those games for years w/o chasing carrots [so to speak] or play for a few months, put down and maybe return a few months later or on a weekend. No loss of personal progression in either, still lots to goof around with in-game and you are not paying out of pocket monthly for access. You bought it. You own it now, forever.

I would agree with you, however the difference between Guild Wars 2 and a Skyrim is that Guild Wars 2 takes a "community" to keep it alive, whereas Skyrim just takes one person. If you lose incentives for a community to work towards, then the community goes away. Sorry to play devil's advocate on the subject! I promise we're on the same team.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Harradrane View Post
    I would agree with you, however the difference between Guild Wars 2 and a Skyrim is that Guild Wars 2 takes a "community" to keep it alive, whereas Skyrim just takes one person. If you lose incentives for a community to work towards, then the community goes away. Sorry to play devil's advocate on the subject! I promise we're on the same team.
    The incentives for communities to work will be WvWvW and forming the groups for elite DEs.

Quote Originally Posted by Roggles View Post
    The incentives for communities to work will be WvWvW and forming the groups for elite DEs.
    I think you're referencing elite dynamic events? I am not familiar with those. What rewards to they have to offer?

Are rewards the key issue for you then?

Deleted
    somewhere i read today they said world always will change

when you have now in a zone 100 DEs in a year there will be 300 - you will always see something new - so whatever
    there will be addons with new dungeons zones maps and so on

so for me - a lot to do

edit: oh and thats only pve stuff ^^

Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    Are rewards the key issue for you then?
    Not for me per-say, but for the livelihood of the game perhaps.

10+ Year Old Account
    Don't most MMOs use a control scheme borrowed from FPS? WASD, QE, RF, 12345, Tab, Z, Tilde. Ctrl, Shift, Alt modifiers.
    That's my point. WASD for MMO's is a dumb idea.
    You're expecting your left fingers to do two jobs (movement and abilities), as opposed to one (movement) in an FPS.

To me it seems that the number one goal for a gamepad built for an MMO should to be overcome that problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Inora View Post
    somewhere i read today they said world always will change

when you have now in a zone 100 DEs in a year there will be 300 - you will always see something new - so whatever
    there will be addons with new dungeons zones maps and so on

so for me - a lot to do

edit: oh and thats only pve stuff ^^
    Cool, this is more of the solution I'm looking for...

Quote Originally Posted by guser View Post
    love naga!! i can actually use all 12 buttons easily. i have small hands though

to play gw2 i didnt even have to rebind anything (except strafe to A D).. just switched from numpad option

I have ginormous hands and i have ZERO problems with the naga, it took 1 week to learn all 12 buttons and then it was rock and roll. Conclusion, Naga ftw.

Worst case scenario would be free home server transfers and closing down worlds in sets of 3. I'm sure if the population dwindles it'll become a multi-topic issue on the forums, along with a list of servers that are doing well vs those that are almost dead. There will be new players to the game and old players rerolling, playing through the old content again, and/or playing with friends/guild(for me this alone kept me playing/enjoying WoW for about a year).

I'd wager that having some folk you enjoy playing alongside increases replayability significantly(also not turning anti-social/cynical like I did at some point during WotLK which mostly limited myself to the guild).

Loads of people will grind for rare weapons or armor sets. Personally in gw i farmed so I had all armorsets ingame (according to HoM) and a couple of fow armors before hom was released.
    (this is also the reason why I decided to only play on my twinks the last 3months I played wow)
    I wouldn't be woried about things to keep you busy. You'll have titles/achievs/de's to hunt

Quote Originally Posted by Tithonus View Post
    Worst case scenario would be free home server transfers and closing down worlds in sets of 3. I'm sure if the population dwindles it'll become a multi-topic issue on the forums, along with a list of servers that are doing well vs those that are almost dead. There will be new players to the game and old players rerolling, playing through the old content again, and/or playing with friends/guild(for me this alone kept me playing/enjoying WoW for about a year).

I'd wager that having some folk you enjoy playing alongside increases replayability significantly(also not turning anti-social/cynical like I did at some point during WotLK which mostly limited myself to the guild).
    Again even though it is a free to play model, ArenaNet will make a killing from microtransactions. The more player base you have the more room to make a profit and also put money back into the game. I'd rather them to be forced to create MORE servers rather than reduce them. The more people you have playing, the more the game will expand.

---------- Post added 2012-05-03 at 01:51 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Meledelion View Post
    Loads of people will grind for rare weapons or armor sets. Personally in gw i farmed so I had all armorsets ingame (according to HoM) and a couple of fow armors before hom was released.
    (this is also the reason why I decided to only play on my twinks the last 3months I played wow)
    I wouldn't be woried about things to keep you busy. You'll have titles/achievs/de's to hunt
    Very cool. I did notice weapon and armor vendors in Divinity's reach (I would imagine the other major cities had them also) that required loads of Kharma points in order to purchase. This could help add incentive for people to seek out DEs and other such means to earn the currency for that gear.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mif View Post
    You're expecting your left fingers to do two jobs (movement and abilities), as opposed to one (movement) in an FPS.
    This is why I've always had abilities on the numpad, apart from 3 or so around the movement keys. It seems for me the "answer" is a mouse with side buttons...assuming I can reach all of the ones on the hex, and assuming we get alt modifiers etc...well, then I'll be sorted :-)

Again even though it is a free to play model
    What's with so many people calling the b2p games f2p games? I see it happening more and more.

I dunno. Seems kinda far fetched that one day there will just be to ofew to play with in GW2 based on the past history of the franchise, the current popularity of the franchise and the historical evidence in other less popular/successful games which had thriving communities for 10+ years.

Quote Originally Posted by Mif View Post
    That's my point. WASD for MMO's is a dumb idea.

To me it seems that the number one goal for a gamepad built for an MMO should to be overcome that problem.
    Hm, interesting. I never saw this as a problem- movement and hotkey use. Rarely does one have to smash say, 7 repeatedly in an MMO while circle strafing.

Do you think moving the buttons to the right hand [mouse] was not a good solution if speedpads are unwieldy?

People (seem to) equate MMOs with (either having or needing) endless content, which isn't the case, and which leads to people saying, "What do I do when <X>?"

Quote Originally Posted by Ryngo Blackratchet View Post
    Yeah, Rhandric is right, as usual.

There is no game with endless content. Repetition does not equal content in my opinion (otherwise Minesweeper would be the greatest game ever).