Quote Originally Posted by Agile Emily View Post
    EDIT: Good god I'm slow. And Eternal Champion, was that the most depressing Doctor thing you could find? D=
    I look at the picture and wish it would rain over here, it's been extremely hot couple of days.

I wasn't able to join up with MMO-C in beta due to some real life friends wanting to play on another server. MMO-C do any organized WvW?

Did anyone find out why there was a Skill Challenge dude lying on the ground being untargetable, near Beetlerun Castle? I was there on several, separate occasions during the beta, and every time he was just lying there, couldn't interact with him in any way

Quote Originally Posted by Harradrane View Post
    I wasn't able to join up with MMO-C in beta due to some real life friends wanting to play on another server. MMO-C do any organized WvW?
    No, it's a social guild. Basically a chat room.
    No reason to be on the server after they get the server visits sorted out unless there's people from MMO-c you want to WvW with.

---------- Post added 2012-05-02 at 09:21 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by DrakeWurrum View Post
    This video is consistently blowing my mind, and I linked it like 5 times on the official GW2 official forum in response to discussion about the character creation:
    What the heck Drake, you stole my favorite video to link when someone says the words "character creation"
    I've already linked it at least thrice on MMO-c. >=(

Quote Originally Posted by Cherrysoul View Post
    Does anyone else find the green/red outlines around mobs etc annoying? I find it slightly breaks immersion.. just one of my very few pet peeves, or is there an option to turn it off?
    Actually wish we could turn that up if we wanted. It was rather annoying to pick out targets in large groups. My only major gripes are with the game's UI, visual cues and such. Typically awful of Anet. They didn't do a good job of it in GW1 either. I hate their supporting system designers.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Actually wish we could turn that up if we wanted. It was rather annoying to pick out targets in large groups.
    Targets? Learn to staff necro!
    I kid. I didn't have any personal issues with the outlines, nor do I remember enough about them to defend or attack them.
    The ones in Tera, however.. god I hated those.
    Random high tech looking outlines out of nowhere. (Well I guess there were a few high tech looking UI elements. Still out of nowhere, didn't fit into the game IMO.)

Quote Originally Posted by Delias View Post
    The ones in Tera, however.. god I hated those.
    Random high tech looking outlines out of nowhere. (Well I guess there were a few high tech looking UI elements. Still out of nowhere, didn't fit into the game IMO.)
    Dude. I LOVED that in Tera. The effect and the visual queue was fantastic. That was one of the things that appealed immediately when I first played the game. When I zoned in and had the NPC in view, that matrix grid flashed... sold.

It also fit the world of Tera. Characters aren't real, they are a dream of gods. They are in the matrix, so to speak.

Dude. I LOVED that in Tera. The effect and the visual queue was fantastic. That was one of the things that appealed immediately when I first played the game. When I zoned in and had the NPC in view, that matrix grid flashed... sold.

It also fit the world of Tera. Characters aren't real, they are a dream of gods. They are in the matrix, so to speak.
    I guess if it fits in the lore that's alright then.
    I just personally do not like that high tech design in a fantasy game, not saying it's a bad thing.
    Just didn't feel fitting to me visually, not knowing the lore behind it. Knowing the lore behind it, I would likely still not like it.
    It looked silly to me. Not silly enough to make me uninterested in the game, ranged combat did that for me. xD

Yea, that's fine. I love the UI, interface and the look of everything in Tera. Even enjoyed the combat more than GW2. Tera felt slick.

Yea, that's fine. I love the UI, interface and the look of everything in Tera. Even enjoyed the combat more than GW2. Tera felt slick.
    Did you play a ranged?
    Not being able to do so much as auto attack while moving was a huge step back for a game boasting it's 'action combat'.
    It was nice how obvious they made attacks so you could dodge easily, and apparently melee was less terrible to play.. but after rolling a few ranged characters in the open beta I had no desire to play the game anymore.

Yar, I played all the classes in Tera before the betas ended.

I do feel they shouldn't have called Tera action combat. It isn't. Huge disservice to the game the way it is marketed and pitched.

Greatly enjoy the stop movement/attack style of Tera. More tactical and cerebral than twitch/action game-y. Keeping in mind I do not care overmuch for action-y games. So there will always be greater appeal for me in a more exacting combat system than things like console combat ala GW2. I actually hate that about WOW too- running all over the place while firing off attacks... -_-

Not that I dislike GW2, fairly fantastic aside from UI/customization. Tera was an overall more enjoyable and visually appealing game for me personally.

Indeed. It's not that I find Tera's combat bad, it's that the combat is nowhere near what I was expecting when I looked at how they had advertised it.
    Doing things like adding a targeting reticule and recommending the use of a console controller leads to the illusion of more action based combat, which it definitely was not.
    If the combat wasn't played up so much, I would not have been nearly as disappointed by the gameplay.
    I enjoyed kiting with the stop combat, but that was more due to nostalgia from RYL than enjoying the notactuallyactiony combat.

Indeed. It's not that I find Tera's combat bad, it's that the combat is nowhere near what I was expecting when I looked at how they had advertised it.
    Doing things like adding a targeting reticule and recommending the use of a console controller leads to the illusion of more action based combat, which it definitely was not.
    If the combat wasn't played up so much, I would not have been nearly as disappointed by the gameplay.
    I enjoyed kiting with the stop combat, but that was more due to nostalgia from RYL than enjoying the notactuallyactiony combat.
    Yar, EME/BHS did a horrible job selling Tera. The game is very niche and will likely be a blunder in the long run because of the poor marketing.

Someone was saying recently- might have been on Reddit, I don't remember, that the biggest hurdle for GW2 was explaining the combat. I sorta disagree with that idea. The type of game that GW2 is more is clearly more populist and easily marketable than the sort of combat that is featured in Tera [or Aion]. There is a huge audience in the expanded MMO market of today who don't actually like MMOs traditionally speaking, and would like something more console-ish in feel. Which GW2 is certainly closer to than EQ.

I feel like if you put GW2 in front of Joe X-box he'll have an easier time grasping the game than if we placed Tera or Rift in front of Joe. To wit, I actually heard podcasts where people complained the latter two games were too confusing. So much so they gave up before L10 or whatever.

There is a market for that sort of vulgar gamer I think something more twitch/action orientated [truly so] can capture.

GW2 will be a big success because of it I think.

The marketing issue comes into effect when you consider the fact that with Tera having released earlier than GW2, and people (for some reason I still do not understand) believing GW2 is an asian MMO.. if GW2 tries to use combat as a selling point people will shrug it off as "Meh, I tried Tera's "action combat" and it was terrible."
    Hell, before going into Tera I expected it to be better than GW2's. I mean, SWTOR's main selling point was it's story and it was better than GW2's (though I prefer GW2's, personally) so it can only be assumed that Tera's main selling point of action combat would be more actiony than GW2's.
    Then again, most people still don't seem to understand that GW2 is trying to be a well rounded game and do a lot of things somewhat differently instead of one thing much differently.. so maybe that wouldn't be the case.
    I don't even know.

Either way, shouldn't be a problem after launch when people start to see more of the game.

Highly, highly doubt the Tera exposure [oh pun intended] is anywhere near as high as GW2. So that sort of sentiment you describe will probably be so small in % as to be worthless.

There are people who still don't know jack about Tera right now. As evidence by the lame/clueless new threads asking "Tera?" across various outlets. Most people don't know a goddamn thing about games, dude.

GW2 marketing I would say is bit more significant in the wider market than Tera.

GW2 marketing.
    Dat word of mouf, son!
    Too bad "telephone" is such a funny game to play.

Not solely word of mouth anymore though. I watch/view a lot of podcasts & sites. GW2 is receiving a bit more notice than it was year-6 months ago when it was mostly word of mouth driven.

Not solely word of mouth anymore though. I watch/view a lot of podcasts & sites. GW2 is receiving a bit more notice than it was year-6 months ago when it was mostly word of mouth driven.
    Ehh.. they themselves aren't advertising their game much, though.
    Besides games conventions, they themselves don't seem to be marketing the game much.
    They are depending on 1) word of mouth and 2) press opinions.
    I guess they're still advertising it more than most other MMOs, however, so my point doesn't make much sense. Not sure where I'm coming from. Want to just cuddle?

Ehh.. they themselves aren't advertising their game much, though.
    Besides games conventions, they themselves don't seem to be marketing the game much.
    They are depending on 1) word of mouth and 2) press opinions.
    I guess they're still advertising it more than most other MMOs, however, so my point doesn't make much sense. Not sure where I'm coming from. Want to just cuddle?
    Hope I'm not intruding here, but due to the social aspect on MMO's I found that many of them survive due to word of mouth and current players bringing in new players to the game. At least that seems to be the case in terms of longevity. I'd never seen an advert for WoW or looked properly at it's box before I started playing it, because a friend of a friend recommended it.

I think Guild Wars2, due to it's differences (namely the gem store) has a lot of people on the fence that will only actually go in (And market it to other people) after it's been proven and word of mouth starts working its charm.

Quote Originally Posted by Kallanna View Post
    Hope I'm not intruding here, but due to the social aspect on MMO's I found that many of them survive due to word of mouth and current players bringing in new players to the game. At least that seems to be the case in terms of longevity. I'd never seen an advert for WoW or looked properly at it's box before I started playing it, because a friend of a friend recommended it.

I think Guild Wars2, due to it's differences (namely the gem store) has a lot of people on the fence that will only actually go in (And market it to other people) after it's been proven and word of mouth starts working its charm.
    Hate to be "that guy" but the problem that's happening is the people on the fence are remaining skeptical despite what word of mouth is saying about their beta experience. :P
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.