Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by DrakeWurrum View Post
    In addition, believe it or not, nobody who reads the last few pages will wake up with leprosy tomorrow.
    Huh ?

I obviously didn't mean every single person here and if it came out like that i am sorry(not my native language).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Solcor View Post
    Huh ?
    Partially a reference to a certain comedian:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...Dt3nSHs#t=203s
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

Off-topic: Solcor your signature is too big. The max is 500 length 100 width. You have 200x200

Also ignore Drake. He doesn't even get half the things he says. ^^

Quote Originally Posted by DrakeWurrum View Post
    Partially a reference to a certain comedian:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...Dt3nSHs#t=203s
    Ah, Steve Hughes. A bit of an older routine, but still very relevant.
    ~Former Priest/Guild Wars 2 Moderator~
    Now TESTING: ArcheAge (Alpha)
    Now PLAYING: MonoRed Burn (MtG Standard)
    Twitter: @KelestiMMO come say hi!
    ~When you speak, I hear silence. Every word a defiance~

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Larynx View Post
    Off-topic: Solcor your signature is too big. The max is 500 length 100 width. You have 200x200

Thanks for the heads up, i will change it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Larynx View Post
    ...wut. o.o
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

Deleted
    There's a little something I want you to consider.

*clears throat*

In every life you have some trouble. When you worry, you make it double. Don't worry. Be happy. Ain't got no place to lay your head? Somebody came and took your bed? Well, don't worry. Be happy. The landlord says your rent is late. He may have to litigate. But don't worry. Be happy.

That is all.

.... qwhut

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Little video on the "Trait Gate": http://www.gamebreaker.tv/mmorpg/trait-gate/

I giggled.
    Sounds like so far we've been pretty much on the ball here.

I laughed at his reasoning that its okay for Utility-skills, i see that argument as exactly why it ISNT okay to tier utility skills. 1) If they are flat out better in higher tiers, why ever bother with utility skills in the lower tier? And 2) What harm does it do when i get free reign over what utility skill i pick?
    Are utility skills so inbalanced that picking one leaves you horribly gimped and another lets you steamroll an area? that sounds like a balance issue that wont be adressed with tiering utility unlocks.

10+ Year Old Account
    I really don't care about the gating of utility skills. I don't see it as a good thing, but I don't see it as a bad thing either. I'm kinda "whatever" about it. If I can't get the skills I want right away, big deal - use some other skills while I level, work hard to do skill challenges. Suddenly I have a reason to hunt them down beyond "to get everything."

Tier traiting is the only thing that worries me, since it does directly affect builds. As I've said numerous time - I'll wait until/if we see it in BWE2. I'll see how it affects builds. I probably won't complain about it until it does affect a build I want to use. But I still don't like the concept itself, and I don't see a reason to do it - at all. I'm desperately hoping it's just something they're messing with, and then decide not to do.

Quote Originally Posted by terrahero View Post
    Sounds like so far we've been pretty much on the ball here.

I laughed at his reasoning that its okay for Utility-skills, i see that argument as exactly why it ISNT okay to tier utility skills. 1) If they are flat out better in higher tiers, why ever bother with utility skills in the lower tier? And 2) What harm does it do when i get free reign over what utility skill i pick?
    With Utility skills, it has very little to do with it. You're looking at it from the point of view of someone that's heavily researched their class and already knows the playstyle they're going to be using not only while levelling but at max level as well.

The problem is, the tiered system in the forms of unlocking (not as a form of limiting actual usage once unlocked) counts not as a form of balance, but as a teaching tool. Someone coming from Rift/WoW/Star Wars/wherever, they're going to take one look at half of the utility skills and go "PvP, PvP, I'm not a healer, PvP, why the fuck would I use that one ever, survival skill that would be great in PvP, the top DPS ones are the ones people are talking about on the forums"

When you get your first Utility skill slot, and you're limited to let's even say one of four, it's a lot easier to make that choice, and learn that "hey, this isn't just a PvP skill, this can actually keep me alive and/or help others too", and as you spend them, you try them out. As you try them out, you unlock more freedom to help coax you into something that fits your playstyle, rather than what you saw random-joe doing on a livestream assuming them to be the best DPS abilities.

While the traits are limiting in balance, the limited tiers in utility skills have nothing to do with balance or any fears thereof, and every intention of a learning tool. One of the biggest complaints was that "We didn't actually have a decent enough tutorial", and unless you already knew wtf to do, this was true. Tiered Utility skills won't fix that, but they're a step in the right direction to ease players into it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelesti View Post
    The problem is, the tiered system in the forms of unlocking (not as a form of limiting actual usage once unlocked) counts not as a form of balance, but as a teaching tool. Someone coming from Rift/WoW/Star Wars/wherever, they're going to take one look at half of the utility skills and go "PvP, PvP, I'm not a healer, PvP, why the fuck would I use that one ever, survival skill that would be great in PvP, the top DPS ones are the ones people are talking about on the forums"
    I dont agree with that, my choices should be limited because some people are to stupid or stuck in the completely wrong mindset? Sorry, im not buying it. And what is it going to "teach"? Nothing. All they did was cut down in the number of skills you can initially invest in, that doesnt teach anything or break the mindset people have.
    A step in the right direction is already to much credit. The skills havent changed, the WoW-crowd will still go "heal, heal, tank, where is my dps utility..." and the noobs will still have no clue and just buy whatever has the shiniest icon. All utility skills are meant to be usefull, and there has to be enough choice to match the wide range of playstyles. So the utility skills available at tier1 wont be useless later on, and will still be of wide ranging use. From a heal to a defensive skill, to a damage boost and whatnot

The only thing you could say this does is, if someone is only getting damage skills he will have to buy some Heal skill to unlock tier 2. But you can lead a donkey to water, but you cant make him drink it. No guarentee he'll even use it, or just consider it as a point he has to spend to unlock the utility skills he wants.
    Its a dumb change that doesnt help new players, doesnt break brainwashing from other MMO models and only hinders players who are really looking for variety by locking away skills they enjoyed using.

10+ Year Old Account
    Your choices are not limited. They're merely gated.

Seriously, as I said, I don't really care. This just increases the cost of certain skills, while reducing the cost of others. If I can't reach a skill I want? I'm gonna go hunt down skill challenges.

Not sure if I really see an issue with utility skill gateing. Its aparently 5 skills per tier to unlock the next one with 1 3 and 6 point tiers. If you do no skill points thats only lvl 25 to unlock the 6 point tier. If you actualy do skill point challanges? Well each races 1-15 area avraged 7 skill points and their 15-25 area was an avrage of 6. If that pattern holds for the sylvari and asura you could potentialy be at 85 points by the time you are done with those zones. 35 points from all the 1-15, 30 from the 15-25, and another 20 from hiting level 25. Heck just geting OCD in the starting areas will get you enough points to buy 2-3 of the 6 pointers on top of unlocking the tier.

I like the trait limiting a bit less but I can understand the reason for it. Cherry picking the strongest major traits accross all the lines could lead to some balance issues.

Who is John Galt?

Still talking bout traits, i see...

Y u no happy for BWE in like 4 days

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Exroyal View Post

/dance

10+ Year Old Account

3d 8h 48m 3s !!

because theres nothing else useful to do till the servers open While I'm happy that the BWE is soon I'd be much much happier if it was NOW

Who is John Galt?

Quote Originally Posted by Merendel View Post
    Not sure if I really see an issue with utility skill gateing. Its aparently 5 skills per tier to unlock the next one with 1 3 and 6 point tiers. If you do no skill points thats only lvl 25 to unlock the 6 point tier. If you actualy do skill point challanges? Well each races 1-15 area avraged 7 skill points and their 15-25 area was an avrage of 6. If that pattern holds for the sylvari and asura you could potentialy be at 85 points by the time you are done with those zones. 35 points from all the 1-15, 30 from the 15-25, and another 20 from hiting level 25. Heck just geting OCD in the starting areas will get you enough points to buy 2-3 of the 6 pointers on top of unlocking the tier.

I like the trait limiting a bit less but I can understand the reason for it. Cherry picking the strongest major traits accross all the lines could lead to some balance issues.

The issue i have with it is that it takes away my choice as the player to get the utility i want, when i want (provided i saved up the points needed). While there is no good reason to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by terrahero View Post
    The issue i have with it is that it takes away my choice as the player to get the utility i want, when i want (provided i saved up the points needed). While there is no good reason to do so.
    From the other side of the coin however its probably a good idea if new players are somewhat forced to try a couple different utilities along the way up the leveling path. It makes them use a few skills they normaly might not pick and might teach them that these are ment to be situational not just DPS clickies that your avrage wow player will gravitate too. While you have something of a point for an experienced player it is not that big a burden. An experienced player will know how to get the 20 points needed so that all utility tiers are unlocked in fairly short order.

Who is John Galt?