Quote Originally Posted by DrakeWurrum View Post
    Silvermoon, to this day, I cannot find my way around it. It's so ridiculously spread out. The only thing I know, is where the AH is. And the wyvern path for the city, why the fuck is it all the way outside of the city?!
    They don't want wyvern crap in the city

Quote Originally Posted by Ryngo Blackratchet View Post
    Yeah, Rhandric is right, as usual.

This will be a shocker, Drake, but some people use visuals for direction instead of a compass. =P
    If a whole city looks the exact same regardless of where you are, it may not matter to those people how perfectly laid out it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Delias View Post
    This will be a shocker, Drake, but some people use visuals for direction instead of a compass. =P
    If a whole city looks the exact same regardless of where you are, it may not matter to those people how perfectly laid out it is.
    Except UC doesn't, with various paths and what-not. I've spent more time trying to figure out how to get OUT of Silvermoon than I spent learning my way around UC

Quote Originally Posted by rhandric View Post
    Oh, you're one of those players...no wonder you don't mind games where you lose xp/takes real money to repair, you just flee when things get rough!
    Oh man, it's even worse than that. In Radiant Arcana, where xp and dura loss on death = IRL$ to repair, I was a tank in my usual fashion. But they added the ability to drop group/raid one patch. When you did so it would port you out of the instance automatically.

Whenever an encounter was going bad, I had a macro set up that would do the following in order: swap all my gear to white items, bubble myself, drop group.

I went 2 months without a death and my guild would scream bloody murder as I dropped 4-5 times a night.

I do this in League of Legends as well. My flee instincts are strong.

Deleted
    If you guys got lost in the cities, I don't want to know how your trips to the wailing caverns were.

Except UC doesn't, with various paths and what-not. I've spent more time trying to figure out how to get OUT of Silvermoon than I spent learning my way around UC
    This
    Doesn't matter that all the tunnels look "samey" when you've got the minimap telling you what portion of the city you're in. Each quadrant has a name to it on the map for a good reason. Where everything is located gets obvious, especially for trainers, once you've walked around once or twice.
    is pretty much what I was referring to.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Oh man, it's even worse than that. In Radiant Arcana, where xp and dura loss on death = IRL$ to repair, I was a tank in my usual fashion. But they added the ability to drop group/raid one patch. When you did so it would port you out of the instance automatically.

Whenever an encounter was going bad, I had a macro set up that would do the following in order: swap all my gear to white items, bubble myself, drop group.

I went 2 months without a death and my guild would scream bloody murder as I dropped 4-5 times a night.

I do this in League of Legends as well. My flee instincts are strong.

How does your guild put up with you?
    You don't have a fight-or-flight response, you just have a flight response

---------- Post added 2012-06-05 at 12:25 PM ----------

This

is pretty much what I was referring to.
    Yes, but saying that UC tunnels look "samey" is like saying that everywhere in any given city looks the same. Yes there's the same architecture, but once you get past that the area is fairly unique, even if, in UC, every quadrant has vendors in the same spot, they have signs over their heads and display different goods, and there are different customizations to each quadrant.

Yes, but saying that UC tunnels look "samey" is like saying that everywhere in any given city looks the same. Yes there's the same architecture, but once you get past that the area is fairly unique, even if, in UC, every quadrant has vendors in the same spot, they have signs over their heads and display different goods, and there are different customizations to each quadrant.
    Don't argue that point to me, convince Fencers. Though, seeing as she was the one actually lost there, she may know her reasons better than you do. All I was saying is that if an area looks the same to someone, and they use visual landmarks or w/e to navigate, it shouldn't be a surprise if they get lost there over big open areas with plenty of landmarks.

10+ Year Old Account
    The irony here is that there are plenty of visual differences, but even more so there's visual queues in the design of the area. I'm really shocked Fencers can't see them. Little things like what guards are standing by a tunnel, which decorations are by the tunnel, the orientation of structures in the area... it's subtle, but they're still there.

Silvermoon looks way more "hey, this part of the city looks like every other part" than Undercity does, to me. And all that red and gold... BLECH.

---------- Post added 2012-06-05 at 11:31 AM ----------

I'm probably the opposite. This actually results in winning more fights, rather than dying more often, I've found. I don't go down without giving it my all, dammit!

Of course, I'm also usually buying time for the girl to get away safely on her character...
    Last edited by DrakeWurrum; 2012-06-05 at 04:32 PM.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

The irony here is that there are plenty of visual differences, but even more so there's visual queues in the design of the area. I'm really shocked Fencers can't see them. Little things like what guards are standing by a tunnel, which decorations are by the tunnel, the orientation of structures in the area... it's subtle, but they're still there.

Silvermoon looks way more "hey, this part of the city looks like every other part" than Undercity does, to me. And all that red and gold... BLECH.
    Exactly this. Hmm...I wonder if anyone's done any research about how gender plays a role in which city is easier to navigate

Deleted
    just realised this thread isn't sticky anymore

Quote Originally Posted by Daffkeeks View Post
    just realised this thread isn't sticky anymore
    It hasn't been for months, where have you been? I don't think it was a sticky at the time you joined, though it might've been right around then when it lost it's stickyness

10+ Year Old Account
    Exactly this. Hmm...I wonder if anyone's done any research about how gender plays a role in which city is easier to navigate
    Irony: Women are more audial, men are more visual.

Then again, maybe that explains why she doesn't like using a map for navigation?

At the very least, this explains why women like to stop and ask for directions, while men like to go "no no no, I've got a map"
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

Irony: Women are more audial, men are more visual.

Then again, maybe that explains why she doesn't like using a map for navigation?

At the very least, this explains why women like to stop and ask for directions, while men like to go "no no no, I've got a map"
    Aren't men better map navigators?
    And how did I quote a part of your post that was edited in after I hit the quote button?

I was under the impression that men went "I DON'T NEED ME NO MAP/INSTRUCTIONS/DIRECTIONS. I GOTS THIS."

(Also, conspiracy theory, Fencers is a man.)

The irony here is that there are plenty of visual differences. I'm really shocked Fencers can't see them.

Agree to disagree.

Undead city is very samey looking to me. Round, closed space and no discernible landmarks except that rickety center tower. So I crossed from the alchemist guy to the little stalls with weapons? Where am I? There are like no visual markers.

Silvermoon is just 3 lanes and 3 rectangles going up and down. Easing this is the fact that the 3 inns cross over the lanes. So you don't even have to walk up an entire lane. Just make a left from the flight master, up the steps by the bridge, straight ahead by the druid guy, make a right at Kel' Thas, left at the envoy guy and done! You are now 1 block from the fountain and 2 blocks over from the inn and AH.

So easy.

I tank.

What was worse was that when you dropped group, not only did I have to be re-invited to the raid but they had to wait for me to travel there again [no flight masters, flying mounts, warlocks or summoning stones in that game] and wait for my CDs all over again.

I'm a tiny bit insufferable.

10+ Year Old Account
    Agree to disagree.

Undead city is very samey looking to me. Round, closed space and no discernible landmarks except that rickety center tower. So I crossed from the alchemist guy to the little stalls with weapons? Where am I? There are like no visual markers.
    Pretty easy to navigate it by the decorations, guards, and other NPCs, and if you're on the outer ring, by glancing at which of the four quadrants you're at. "oh, that's where NPCs summon demons. Oh, that's where NPC warriors fight against dummies. Oh, that's the doorway to the queen." etc etc

Agree to disagree.

Silvermoon is just 3 lanes and 3 rectangles going up and down. Easing this is the fact that the 3 inns cross over the lanes. So you don't even have to walk up an entire lane. Just make a left from the flight master, up the steps by the bridge, straight ahead by the druid guy, make a right at Kel' Thas, left at the envoy guy and done! You are now 1 block from the fountain and 2 blocks over from the inn and AH.

So easy.
    So Fencers navigates by shinies, while we navigate by important things, got it.

I tank.

What was worse was that when you dropped group, not only did I have to be re-invited to the raid but they had to wait for me to travel there again [no flight masters, flying mounts, warlocks or summoning stones in that game] and wait for my CDs all over again.

I'm a tiny bit insufferable.
    Not much of a tank if you flee at the slightest mishap! And don't things usually start going wrong with the tank dying?

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd always felt, as a tank, that I was expected to dive in suicidally if things looked bad. :O!

As first an Enhance Shammy, then as a Rogue, I always did my damndest to be the last guy standing.
    Which, admittedly, is WAY easier (and more important) as a Rogue, since you can Vanish. Thank god for guild mass rez.

I'd always felt, as a tank, that I was expected to dive in suicidally if things looked bad. :O!
    Dive in suicidally, expect your healers to keep you up, and save the fucking day
    Wait, are we talking tanks or mages?