We all were expecting this from Blizzard, let's be real. It wont come as a huge bomb to my face if they MoP will be set for 28th August, but then again, im going to play both games so all i see is positivity.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mif View Post
    What a funny co-incidence...

'World Premiere of Mists of Pandaria Opening Cinematic at gamescom 2012, August 15 to 19'
    They probably would have wanted to launch MOP, but saw that they couldn't, if they didn't want to pull a SWTOR. So a cinematic is all they can do. Which means diddly squat. Really nice for GW2, means it'll have all the attention it deserves. And I don't mean this as a flame fest at WoW, but facts are facts. Blizzard always wanted to steal some of the attention of new MMO's with some of their own new things, and now they can't do it properly.

I predict World of Warcraft will continue on just fine post-Guild Wars 2.

Quote Originally Posted by Vewen View Post
    They probably would have wanted to launch MOP, but saw that they couldn't, if they didn't want to pull a SWTOR. So a cinematic is all they can do. Which means diddly squat. Really nice for GW2, means it'll have all the attention it deserves. And I don't mean this as a flame fest at WoW, but facts are facts. Blizzard always wanted to steal some of the attention of new MMO's with some of their own new things, and now they can't do it properly.
    Yea it's just being a competitive business. You compete with another companies game, so anytime you can steal some thunder from them is good for you. I may dislike Blizzard (not the quality of their games, but just how they go about things) but it makes good business sense to do things like this to try to retain old players and gain new ones.

ANet made a great decision to go ahead and release at the end of August, because you know they will sell copies for the holidays. This gives them a few more months of polish time for a big selling holiday season. I think this game will be no different from others in that plenty of people will wait for after launch reviews and such to make a decision on buying it.

One last good thing I see out of an August release is that anyone who may have purchased GW2 but will only complain about how it's not WoW will then leave when MoP is released. I honestly don't care to have those people in the game with us, it's been the same with SWTOR and Rift. If I'm playing those games I don't really wanna hear how much better another game is QQ 24/7. Also it gives some stagger time for those of you that will play both games, play GW 2 for a few months and then pop onto WoW for abit to see whats new.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    No one said it wouldn't, but wanting to minimize subscription loss is a given.
    To say that GW2 won't cause any subscription loss for WoW would be a silly thing to say.

Yep I agree, the only thing that will "kill" WoW is Blizzard with another game or if they just decide to stop supporting it with content. Also if they stop provide content in a timely manner (I.E. small updates not expansions every few years).

To be honest though, it is good that WoW is there because that game (with it's flaws) pushes the MMO industry to be better. Most people will not accept mediocre (example: SWTOR) and companies are going to need to lead with innovationto get ahead, even if it is in small ways.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Delias View Post
    To say that GW2 won't cause any subscription loss for WoW would be a silly thing to say.
    ^this, so much

Blizzard even openly admitted that a large portion of their lost 2 million subs was caused by SWTOR, and yet there's a large number of people who consider it to be terrible. It's at least worth noting that SWTOR isn't doing so hot, and didn't have a smooth launch to begin with... and yet still hurt WoW's subs.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

I didn't really say anything about that. Though I would say it's equally silly to imagine GW2 on the level of SWTOR as a competitor to WoW.

Deleted
    LOGIC? AGAINST WOW? OH DEAR FENCERS YOU ARE MAKING NO SENSE.

Seriously now guys, I get it, I thought the same you did, but all this WoW talk is being a bit boring (not to mention it makes trolls show up quicker than bacon). I couldn't give a toss about MoP, I just love GW2 and we have much more exciting thing to talk about, like...
    What are your plans for the first day you logon at release?

I didn't really say anything about that. Though I would say it's equally silly to imagine GW2 on the level of SWTOR as a competitor to WoW.
    I said nothing about SWTOR, but I would like to think that GW2's servers will die at a much slower rate than SWTOR's have been.

Quote Originally Posted by Kallanna View Post

Seriously now guys, I get it, I thought the same you did, but all this WoW talk is being a bit boring (not to mention it makes trolls show up quicker than bacon). I couldn't give a toss about MoP, I just love GW2 and we have much more exciting thing to talk about, like...
    Trolls generally don't check a 1,249 page thread. We get one here or there, but it's extremely rare.

Deleted
    I said nothing about SWTOR, but I would like to think that GW2's servers will die at a much slower rate than SWTOR's have been.

Trolls generally don't check a 1,249 page thread. We get one here or there, but it's extremely rare.
    I know but... you guys know the conversation will continue with other threads, we always do. Last thing I want is a mod showing up and closing this lovely thread because we are discussing WoW, and you know how MMO-Champ works when you discuss WoW.

10+ Year Old Account
    O_o
    Say what now.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

Well, Blizzard themselves said in their investor meeting they consider EA/Bioware's SWTOR their biggest competition. So I was somewhat obliquely calling back to that statement.

But in any case, World of Warcraft is just too big to entertain fantasies fan game X is on parity.

10+ Year Old Account
    Pfft, who cares what Blizzard does, GUILD WARS IS RELEASING IN AUGUST!!!!! I seriously am very excited to get to play this game. All the new things to explore, traits, crafting, PvP, PvE, figuring out what play style I enjoy the most are all going to add up to me enjoying many hours in this game. Hell even nabbing beautiful screenshots to mess around with in my Photoshop program is something I am looking forward to. BWE3 isn't coming fast enough. And my generosity in letting my friend play during the latest stress test to see what the game was like will have been expended. He better grab his own prepurchase copy!

Get my charr ranger named Arrowstorm. I got rights on that name! Somehow. Actually, I should get some copyrights on it, just for fun. But it would be expensive I imagine... also, why can't we change our YouTube name yet? Having numbers in my YouTube name is silly if I don't implement them somehow into the videos, like hidden easter eggs, but then if they then make it so you CAN change your YouTube username...

Off topic, right. Uh, charr ranger. Going to find out if I want to play engineer next BWE, and then plan out my other characters. So far I got ranger, warrior, and necromancer on the list, I almost hope I don't like engineer, since then I have one for each armor class!

Quote Originally Posted by DrakeWurrum View Post
    O_o
    Say what now.
    I decided to use die in the same way that people generally do when talking about a new MMO.
    "Less than 1.5mil subs? dead game is dead."
    Or in GW2's case.. "Less than 1.5mil people have logged on in the last month? Dead game is dead."

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't think GW2 servers will die at all. The Guild Wars IP has a loyal gaming fanbase, while the Star Wars IP mainly has a fandom based off the movies, not the games. I think in that light GW2 is a much bigger competitor to WoW.
    "Questions are for those seeking answers. Those who have answers are those who have asked questions." -Mike R. (Malthurius)

10+ Year Old Account

Capture Asuras, enslave them and have them develop the first Tyria I-phone; want to find out where the next big event is...there's an APP for that!
    Last edited by Vlad Morbius; 2012-06-29 at 07:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Malthurius View Post
    I don't think GW2 servers will die at all. The Guild Wars IP has a loyal gaming fanbase, while the Star Wars IP mainly has a fandom based off the movies, not the games. I think in that light GW2 is a much bigger competitor to WoW.
    I was using it satirically. People tend to use "dead" in a vastly different way when referring to MMOs.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Cig View Post
    Pfft, who cares what Blizzard does, GUILD WARS IS RELEASING IN AUGUST!!!!! I seriously am very excited to get to play this game. All the new things to explore, traits, crafting, PvP, PvE, figuring out what play style I enjoy the most are all going to add up to me enjoying many hours in this game. Hell even nabbing beautiful screenshots to mess around with in my Photoshop program is something I am looking forward to. BWE3 isn't coming fast enough. And my generosity in letting my friend play during the latest stress test to see what the game was like will have been expended. He better grab his own prepurchase copy!
    You tell him, he better get his own copy to play with you right? haha.
    I'm very excited for screenshots too. I took over 200 since BWE1... Used a fair amount of them for wallpapers, and yesterday had fun getting used to a drawing tablet by drawing over one of them. I'm super exited for it. I just can't wait to simply enjoy the game without worrying about it 'closing' for the month!

Quote Originally Posted by Arrowstorm View Post
    Get my charr ranger named Arrowstorm. I got rights on that name! Somehow. Actually, I should get some copyrights on it, just for fun. But it would be expensive I imagine... also, why can't we change our YouTube name yet? Having numbers in my YouTube name is silly if I don't implement them somehow into the videos, like hidden easter eggs, but then if they then make it so you CAN change your YouTube username...

Off topic, right. Uh, charr ranger. Going to find out if I want to play engineer next BWE, and then plan out my other characters. So far I got ranger, warrior, and necromancer on the list, I almost hope I don't like engineer, since then I have one for each armor class!
    Charr Ranger called Arrowstorm sounds awesome actually. I have two names in mind for my Charr thief so I'm more worried about making her look perfect. I'll be taking screenies this BWE3 while making her to make sure I know how I want her.

Also, I really enjoyed the engineer, but for some reason I can't bring myself to like any of the heavy armour classes. I really disliked the guardian and warrior didn't say anything to me.