1. #30221
    1) As has been said before, banning bots doesn't prevent new bots from being used.
    2) Any action against an account must be due to there being a violation of a rule, or they'll hurt themselves in the long run - so even if your theory of them banning based on their TB activity is accurate, that'd only be an accidental accuracy for you -- they would still investigate the accounts before taking action. Otherwise, I'd just report people for undercutting my TP items...
    3) Anti-farm mechanics are intended to combat botting, though do occasionally have adverse effects on legitimate players. But, as with GW1, these mechanics will be refined over time. And having a cash shop has absolutely nothing to do with banning people for posting low priced trades - in fact, it would be contrary to it, as if the account is legitimate they would be losing a customer. See item 2

    Quote Originally Posted by Ryngo Blackratchet View Post
    Yeah, Rhandric is right, as usual.

  2. #30222
    You seem to be under the impression that I said - somewhere - that people were banned for selling things.

  3. #30223
    "Hey, we don't like these being this cheap, and here's where a lot of the supply is from."
    Given as your expected reason why you think people were banned.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ryngo Blackratchet View Post
    Yeah, Rhandric is right, as usual.

  4. #30224
    Given as your expected reason why you think people were banned.
    It's like I shouldn't have even bothered saying RIGHT BEFORE THAT LINE that I was sure the supply they removed was from bots.

  5. #30225
    It's like I shouldn't have even bothered saying RIGHT BEFORE THAT LINE that I was sure the supply they removed was from bots.
    Hold on a sec, before you start getting bent out of shape and denying saying things you have said...well I guess I'm a bit late on that, but...bear with me for a sec so I can, yet again, point out your logic and its flaws
    1) You say you're sure the supply was removed from bots. Great, we're on the same page here
    1a) Not your logic, but needs to be said (again): botted mats harm the economy, even if it looks good to the consumer. Legit players not being able to make a profit for their work and all that, common sense
    1b) Botted items should be removed with the bots (ideally removed completely, but some set of transactions may make that impossible)
    1c) Bots are bad for the game in general, make some subset of players feel there are more botters than players even if it's not true.
    2) Supply was removed to control the market - here's your failure. You agree the supply is from botters, but then argue it was/they were removed to control the market. A logical conclusion would be that they were removed because the bot who farmed it was removed, and that was to improve the economy and the game in general
    2a) It's possible they were detected due to the TP, though if the hundreds/thousands of reports people claim they make is valid, then what makes the TP a better source?
    3) Somehow you link botters posting mats cheaply with ANet wanting a long-term, highly successful game, and with the gem store...
    And then you claim there's no conspiracy theory, but ANet's doing it to control the market...

    Quote Originally Posted by Ryngo Blackratchet View Post
    Yeah, Rhandric is right, as usual.

  6. #30226
    2) Supply was removed to control the market - here's your failure. You agree the supply is from botters, but then argue it was/they were removed to control the market. A logical conclusion would be that they were removed because the bot who farmed it was removed, and that was to improve the economy and the game in general
    Sigh. What I said was that rather than behing about taking a hard line on bots because they "hurt the players", this move was more about removing the supply in order to keep prices at a level closer to what they want.

    It's the exact same thing functionally, but the motivations and methods are much different. They're most likely much more concerned with you being able to get Ectos cheaply than they are with bots "ruining your experience" in Orr. Not sure if people are taking that as some kind of slam on the devlopers from me or something.

    3) Somehow you link botters posting mats cheaply with ANet wanting a long-term, highly successful game, and with the gem store...
    And then you claim there's no conspiracy theory, but ANet's doing it to control the market...
    It's a game with a cash shop where you can (basically) buy gold, and where the much-touted "endgame weapons" basically require nothing but a TON of farming of gold.

    The idea that it's in A.Net's interest to keep the costs of materials used to craft Legendaries very high isn't some crazy idea. It's pretty common sense really, it'd be a failing on their part if they DID NOT take continued steps over time to keep that economic balance via eliminating any questionable supply, tweaking drop rates and keeping/expanding anti-farm code.

    Saying that this is some crazy idea or some tin-foil hat stuff is silly. It's how F2P/B2P games work, because their income relies on certain systems much moreso than in subscription based games.

  7. #30227
    Or they're doing it with both in mind, but realize they'd have more problems if people think bots are ruining their experience so put that as the priority, and the market side effects are related but not the driving goal...
    What you're talking about is common in F2P games, because their only source of income is the cash shop. In GW1, the boxes were a much larger revenue stream than the cash shop. Now you'll tell me that that's because it was added late, and didn't contain the same things the GW2 cash shop does, and the game wasn't designed around it...all of which are true, but ultimately meaningless. The same type of goods/services were available in the GW1 cash shop, even if the specifics differ. Ultimately, the cash shop doesn't matter to a large subset of players, is hated by another subset, and loved by another subset. The only guaranteed revenue is the box. And if you really think that cash->gems->purchasing rare items is worth it, be my guest, but the last time I looked, the exchange rate wasn't sufficient gold:gems (for gold), in my opinion. YMMV

    Quote Originally Posted by Ryngo Blackratchet View Post
    Yeah, Rhandric is right, as usual.

  8. #30228
    What you're talking about is common in F2P games
    I....know that? Which is why I said it in my last post?

    And if you really think that cash->gems->purchasing rare items is worth it, be my guest, but the last time I looked, the exchange rate wasn't sufficient gold:gems (for gold), in my opinion. YMMV
    You'd be amazed how much money people spend on these games if the developers keep the economics balanced.

    World of Tanks doesn't cost a thing to buy or play, but (reportedly) makes eight figures a month just by releasing new tech trees, new tanks, etc and encouraging people to keep buying gold.

    Anyway, I don't think we wholly disagree on this topic, just seemed like I worded it - or it was taken - in such a way that folks thought I was bashing A.Net when I really wasn't. Just making a (maybe cynical?) statement about their motivations.

  9. #30229
    The Lightbringer Karizee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    MAGUUMA
    Posts
    3,637
    The bots are gone from Frostgorge. I imagine people that were running bot programs are pretty darn upset they have to start over in Queensdale ;-)
    Morpheus: Do you believe that my being stronger or faster has anything to do with my muscles in this place? Do you think that's air you're breathing now?

  10. #30230
    Nah. There are still bots in Orr aplenty.

  11. #30231
    Quote Originally Posted by Karizee View Post
    The bots are gone from Frostgorge. I imagine people that were running bot programs are pretty darn upset they have to start over in Queensdale ;-)
    Or ArenaNets Support service got loads of work now with ''I didn't do it'' cases :P

  12. #30232
    The Lightbringer Karizee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    MAGUUMA
    Posts
    3,637
    Quote Originally Posted by Eiserne Drossel View Post
    Or ArenaNets Support service got loads of work now with ''I didn't do it'' cases :P
    https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/foru...mments/page/15
    Morpheus: Do you believe that my being stronger or faster has anything to do with my muscles in this place? Do you think that's air you're breathing now?

  13. #30233
    At least I got the names I wanted when ArenaNet lifted the reserved names thingy <3

    Eiserne Drossel & Thomas Mutton

  14. #30234
    how do you guys get WvWvW badges? They are awarded when you kill an enemy? I am often in WvWvW and I barely have 50 badges...
    Cond necro here.

  15. #30235
    Quote Originally Posted by rogerwilko View Post
    how do you guys get WvWvW badges? They are awarded when you kill an enemy? I am often in WvWvW and I barely have 50 badges...
    Cond necro here.
    Killing players sometimes gives you Badge of Honor, same with NPCs like Guards and the Guild Keepers or what they are called.

    The best way to get Badge of Honor is actually doing the jumping puzzles everyday in each Borderland, and the jumping puzzle in Eternal Battlegrounds. The jumping puzzle chests gives like, 4 - 6 badges, and the Eternal Battleground puzzle gives more.

  16. #30236
    If anyone still needs to do some dungeons for monthly give me call here ill gladly help.

  17. #30237
    What do you guys do with karma, if you don't need the exotic gear anymore? :P

    This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

  18. #30238
    buy shards for legendary stuff

  19. #30239
    Nothing. Karma just accumulates. No longer do events because I need neither gold or karma for anything.

  20. #30240
    I need moar golds so I can just buy 3 more character slots and then level all 8 classes up via tradeskills alone.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •