I turned Gwen into a Panic healer, she did quite a good job.

Quote Originally Posted by Exroyal View Post
    Guys and gals, sry to break the topic, but i just cant figure out the correct corse of action. Buying molten and destroyer lodestones for Volcanus will cost me 400g. The rest shouldnt be a major problem, i already got Gift of Baelfire so yea, but buying Volcanus off the TP will cost me 490g and farming the lodestones would take me forever. What should i do? Just grind money to buy the lodestones or farm cores from dungeons?
    Farming Cursed shore and doing CoF P1 will gain you money really fast. That's how I've made my money and it's still the best way to gain money quickly. The good thing for you also is that while doing CoF you also have a chance to get Molten lodestones, so it's a win-win!

Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    I turned Gwen into a Panic healer, she did quite a good job.
    That just proves shes a dominatrix

Wow has interesting lore? All I saw was cliche after cliche and some more cliche. Terribly disappointing
    Now you know how I feel about GW2! ;D

Well, I loved WoW's lore. Everything with the titans, the Well of Eternity, the Great Sundering, night elf history in general. Despite my present distaste for the undead, I loved the history of Lordaeron, Sylvanas, the Forsaken (at least until Cataclysm >_>).

That's fine Lane, and I can respect that. But when someone comes in here and says this game's lore is shit, but my game's lore is the best..yadda yadda, that's when I get itchy. Everyone has their preferences I get it, but judge them on their own merits.

Quote Originally Posted by rhandric View Post
    GW1 missions were the best way, in any game, of telling the story. Period.
    It's pretty close to being the best mechanical implementation of story in an RPG. Period.

I am not saying the story is as great as Torment or A Mind Forever Voyaging. However, I can only think of a handful of games that tell their main story and side stories with the same mechanical excellence of Guild Wars 1; Portal, Half-Life 2, Fallout 1, Bioshock Infinite, Grim Fandango... getting real thin here...

Games are about gameplay. Nothing else. Ever.

That you can tell a complex story through the unique medium of video game mechanics is the golden ideal of gaming- the very tiptop.

I do believe Guild Wars 1 gets awfully close to that ideal. Those missions are not cutscenes, talking heads or quest boxes. They are gameplay, propelled by gameplay. And when the dynamic of the story changes it changes the dynamics of gameplay.

Utterly brilliant.

Wow has interesting lore? All I saw was cliche after cliche and some more cliche. Terribly disappointing
    The lore they stole from Warhammer is pretty interesting. XD

Blizzard had the original idea for Warcraft to be based on the Warhammer universe. However, things fell through and Blizz put their spin on many of Warhammer's conventions; ogres, orcs, chaos gods, human alliance, elves, etc.

http://kotaku.com/5929157/the-making-of-warcraft-part-1

Starcraft too borrowed heavily from Warhammer 40k; zerg | tyranids, space marine | adeptus astartes, protoss | eldar, etc.

Blizzard are like the most generic dudes ever. XD

Except Diablo. That stuff is pure gold.

Yeah, it's a bit ironic that I quite like Warhammer's lore.

That's fine Lane, and I can respect that. But when someone comes in here and says this game's lore is shit, but my game's lore is the best..yadda yadda, that's when I get itchy. Everyone has their preferences I get it, but judge them on their own merits.
    Never said that, if anything I said I know little to nothing about GW lore other than what's been presented in GW2's personal story. I find many of the themes in GW2 cliche, but we've been over that.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Blizzard are like the most generic dudes ever. XD

Except Diablo. That stuff is pure gold.
    I have zero knowledge whatsoever about Warhammer other than the extremely brief and unpleasant experience I had trying out Warhammer Online.

Diablo was okay. I still haven't played D3 (possibly never will), but the first two games were alright.

Imo a lot of GW lore is lost on you if you didn't play the original (and in order). The story in GW2 isn't as accessible as the one in GW.
    I find the "story" of GW2 quite bland in comparison to GW and it's very anoying that you can't just do "the story". If you want the real story experience you shouldn't do personal story at all until you can complete everything since otherwise you might be days or weeks out of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Lane View Post
    Never said that, if anything I said I know little to nothing about GW lore other than what's been presented in GW2's personal story. I find many of the themes in GW2 cliche, but we've been over that.
    Wasn't really in a response to you but another poster

They did try to keep the same "you are an observer/participant in world shaking events!" feel of the original Guild Wars by having Treheron [I think that's his name] in the Personal Story. But I think the actual story of the PS is terrible.

Bad writing, bad voice acting, ho-hum plot, boring allegory, dull missions, et cetera.

The idea of the PS isn't bad. The execution was just awful.

Play a Norn female sometime and try not to vomit whenever your character speaks. I've met plywood with more personality.

Quote Originally Posted by Scyth View Post
    Farming Cursed shore and doing CoF P1 will gain you money really fast. That's how I've made my money and it's still the best way to gain money quickly. The good thing for you also is that while doing CoF you also have a chance to get Molten lodestones, so it's a win-win!
    I see, what do you spend the karma on? Orrian boxes?

A lot of that has to do with the presentation. They tried to do something a bit different than standard cutscenes and it just didn't come off well.

At first glance it looks like they went away from that style with the Living Story.

I wish they'd expanded the personal story a lot more. They could have halved the Pact arc and added more to the race and order arcs. My time with Tybalt/Forgal/Sieran was way too brief before the hardcore focus on undead/Zhaitan. I loved the Charr and Sylvari arcs prior to having to choose an order, so more of that would have been awesome too.

Play a Norn female sometime and try not to vomit whenever your character speaks. I've met plywood with more personality.
    Ugh. I do hate the Norn female voice. It really made me miss Tera's ability to choose your character's voice.

They did try to keep the same "you are an observer/participant in world shaking events!" feel of the original Guild Wars by having Treheron [I think that's his name] in the Personal Story. But I think the actual story of the PS is terrible.

Bad writing, bad voice acting, ho-hum plot, boring allegory, dull missions, et cetera.

The idea of the PS isn't bad. The execution was just awful.

Not to Bash GW2, but I have to agree. I'm doing a Char and a Salvari and I find the Char Personal story cut scenes pretty painful to sit through and I'm only level 14 and I'm think this is on par and worse than some Syfy shows. For something that was billed as the main selling point of the game, I'm fairly disappointed. but Maybe I'm just weird, I just finished the StarCraft Swarm Xpac and I really loved the story. Nothing totally awesome, but I was definitely hooked on wanting to see it all the way through and left with wanting more.

A lot of that has to do with the presentation. They tried to do something a bit different than standard cutscenes and it just didn't come off well.
    Not sure can blame it all on the style. A lot of the PS was just badly written. Characters would give responses and the VO would suggest tone that was often bizarre or inappropriate to the situation.

A lot of the PS felt trite &/or hackneyed.

I just finished the StarCraft Swarm Xpac and I really loved the story.
    ^ Perfect example of how mediocre story material is nailed perfectly and spectacularly.

Blizzard may be "generic" as I joked above. But it's pretty hard to say they don't nail the production of their games to a superb degree.
    Last edited by Fencers; 2013-03-27 at 10:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lane View Post
    I don't know. I haven't run into either (or at least in such small amounts I don't recall) in console RPGs. Tera didn't have either. Elder Scrolls doesn't look promising in that respect, but some others do like Wildstar.

I was that way with WoW, up until Cataclysm caused me to cease to care about anything that was happening in the world anymore. >_> Off-topic, but I really miss vanilla WoW. I wish they had a f2p server for 1-60 of vanilla. o/~ Memories o/~
    Don't understand the fascination with vanilla. Vanilla WoW's quest text wasn't that much different than talking to the heart vendors before you complete the heart. Both are pretty disconnected to the main story, until you get to the higher level areas. Vanilla also had a lot of issues in general and had very very specified roles for classes. BC was better imo, at least gameplay wise

Not sure can blame it all on the style. A lot of the PS was just badly written. Characters would give responses and the VO would suggest tone that was often bizarre or inappropriate to the situation.

A lot of the PS felt trite &/or hackneyed.
    Oh I agree, but I don't think the style of the presentation helped at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Mad_Murdock View Post
    I'm doing a Char and a Salvari and I find the Char Personal story cut scenes pretty painful to sit through and I'm only level 14 and I'm think this is on par and worse than some Syfy shows.
    D: I love the Charr, they can basically do no wrong in my eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by BlairPhoenix View Post
    Don't understand the fascination with vanilla.
    It's mostly nostalgia. The Cataclysm revamp was a vast improvement upon 1-60 content, but I still miss the days of how WoW was when I first played (before Azshara was turned into a goblin themepark, for example :P).

I liked the elves in warcraft 3. They turned them into a bunch of wussies in wow.