1. #32541
    Pandaren Monk Kaelwryn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Divinity's Reach
    Posts
    1,963
    Quote Originally Posted by Meledelion View Post
    I think all reporters in regards to obscenity are hypocritical. If you can read "FUCK YOU" it means you turned off the adult filter and thus your right to complain flies straight out of the window.

    For names I really don't get why people would demand to rename toons like "Cunning Stunt", I highly doubt kids will get those names and thus that there will be any impact.

    If it's "for the poor innocent children" it's time to remind yourself that there's nudity, violence and swearing all over, and thus that w/e they've come across in the game, they probably saw it on the web (or worse).
    I wouldn't report someone who threw a curse word every now and then into their sentence, because I do it myself when talking with friends and such. But just because there is a profanity filters does not mean you should fill chat with cursing. Just because you can doesn't mean you should.

  2. #32542
    I don't say that you should because you could, I'm saying that if someone swears while you turned off the filter you have no right to complain.

  3. #32543
    Pandaren Monk Kaelwryn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Divinity's Reach
    Posts
    1,963
    Just because I don't mind seeing cursing, doesn't mean I want so see someone fill chat up with nothing but cursing. I do believe I have the right to complain when someone's being excessive their cursing.

  4. #32544
    Quote Originally Posted by Meledelion View Post
    I don't say that you should because you could, I'm saying that if someone swears while you turned off the filter you have no right to complain.
    Out of curiosity, what about the folks spelling stuff specifically to work around the filter?

  5. #32545
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaelwryn View Post
    Just because I don't mind seeing cursing, doesn't mean I want so see someone fill chat up with nothing but cursing. I do believe I have the right to complain when someone's being excessive their cursing.
    I'm sorry but no, it's simply all or nothing. It's like saying "I don't mind tarantino movies but sometimes it's excessive (violence/swearing). You chose to see the tarantino movy so you waved that right, it's a tarantino movy so you know it might be excessive.

    People aren't going to swear by saying "you're a dickhead" and then 10sec later say "come on guys please move". It's not gonna happen. What will happen is "you're a dickhead" and 10sec later "move you retards".

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Svifnymr View Post
    Out of curiosity, what about the folks spelling stuff specifically to work around the filter?
    Those can be kicked since you opted out and still see it, which is griefing imo.

  6. #32546
    Pandaren Monk Kaelwryn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Divinity's Reach
    Posts
    1,963
    Well I guess I will simply agree to disagree with you.

  7. #32547
    This will probably sound a bit whiny, and it is.
    Been working on Twilight for God knows how long now, and thanks to the Clockwork Chaos event I finally had the 200 skill points needed to buy the Bloodstone Shard and that was the last part I needed to complete the three Gifts needed to craft the weapon.
    I tried my luck in the Mystic Forge today and was ofcourse hoping to see Dusk, but take a wild guess what I was rewarded with instead...
    Yeah, Dawn...

    I took a screenshot and sold that shit at once, only 335g left to farm... And farming in this game is SOOOO rewarding...

  8. #32548
    O_o Looking at the TP right now there's only a 150g discrepancy between Dawn and Dusk. You're actually really damn lucky you got a precursor at all even if it wasn't exactly the one you wanted. You can make 150g easy with these invasions too. Prior to the Queen's X content it would have been a lot harder.

  9. #32549
    The only thing about Ascended gear that I care about is if we are getting new skins. If not, I'm not going to bother grinding for it.

  10. #32550
    I wasn't sure where to post this since it covers two classes. :P

    I've been playing around with this defensive warrior build and it reminds me a lot of playing a prot pally (in WoW). However, the GW2 class I associate most with paladin would be guardian. Do guardians have an equal/better defensive build based on return damage or is warrior the better class for it?

    I figure it won't quite be the same since there are no "tanks" in GW2, but apparently I missed having things beat themselves to death on me. :P

  11. #32551
    I am Murloc! draykorinee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Ciderland, arrgh.
    Posts
    5,247
    Well, nothing will die by hitting you like say a sword and board warrior in WoW, but I can take on multiple mobs with ease as a guardian and reminded me a lot of playing a prot warrior. I would link my armoury but ya know..I cant.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fiend View Post
    Then your a mumbling dumbass who likes to make assumptions about people for the hell of it.

  12. #32552
    Quote Originally Posted by Meledelion View Post
    I don't say that you should because you could, I'm saying that if someone swears while you turned off the filter you have no right to complain.
    OTOH, if you have profanity filter on and someone is filling up your map chat with &*%^#%$&()&*$^%# all over the place, you know exactly what they are doing and you have every right to complain. Plus, you don't have to complain about profanity specifically, it's perfectly legit to report someone for spamming map chat with crap.

  13. #32553
    Quote Originally Posted by Arlee View Post
    OTOH, if you have profanity filter on and someone is filling up your map chat with &*%^#%$&()&*$^%# all over the place, you know exactly what they are doing and you have every right to complain. Plus, you don't have to complain about profanity specifically, it's perfectly legit to report someone for spamming map chat with crap.
    Yes you know, but to me it's about the insults etc. witch you don't want to hear/read. "I don't give a flying ****" doesn't help a lot (filter wise) which is why I find it rather silly to begin with but since that wasn't being discussed I chose to ignore it. On the other hand if I just read **** (without context) I know you're swearing (or typing **** to be funny ) but you don't have the right to complain, that would be like complaining about indecent exposure when a couple that's quite visible exited enters the room next to yours...

    (I know the parallel doesn't fit 100%)

    TBH I think people who can't stand obscene language are hypocrites to begin with since they probably swear about anything and everything IRL when they stub their little toe.

    I agree that you can report them for spam when they're spamming obscenities instead of reporting for vulagar language. However the key here is that if you leave out all obscene words you still would report them.

    @lane
    if you're looking for "tank" builds the easiest is defensive weapons. For Retaliation builds Hammer is great. Mace+focus/hammer is a popular "tank" weaponset which feels a lot like retri aura pala. The difference is that reta is based of the power of who hits you instead of your power.

  14. #32554
    I am Murloc! draykorinee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Ciderland, arrgh.
    Posts
    5,247
    Quote Originally Posted by Arlee View Post
    OTOH, if you have profanity filter on and someone is filling up your map chat with &*%^#%$&()&*$^%# all over the place, you know exactly what they are doing and you have every right to complain. Plus, you don't have to complain about profanity specifically, it's perfectly legit to report someone for spamming map chat with crap.
    You have a right to complain over some symbols appearing on your screen? If you have a profanity filter and people arent purposefully circumventing that filter then you have no right to complain as far as I'm concerned. People are way too precious, and like Mel said, hypocrites mainly too. If someone is specifically just saying swear words with no context, I might give you that, unnecessary profanity is a bit, well, unnecessary.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fiend View Post
    Then your a mumbling dumbass who likes to make assumptions about people for the hell of it.

  15. #32555
    Did Anet decide against giving out 200 gems to players who logged in yesterday?

    Quote Originally Posted by Meledelion View Post
    @lane
    if you're looking for "tank" builds the easiest is defensive weapons. For Retaliation builds Hammer is great. Mace+focus/hammer is a popular "tank" weaponset which feels a lot like retri aura pala. The difference is that reta is based of the power of who hits you instead of your power.
    Would you say guardian's better at it (a retaliation build) than warrior?

  16. #32556
    Yes guardian has a very easy-time reta tanking for 2reasons: 1. (close to) perma reta 2. protection spam

    When playing with a hammer you can use auto attack (final hit) to give a light field and then use 2 to get more reta add in the virtue and the shout and you have perma reta, afaik wars can't achieve this(I've never really looked into it tbh).

    This is a popular reta tank build.

  17. #32557
    Dreadlord Fishbait's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    On a wild ride with Zebedee.
    Posts
    753
    Quote Originally Posted by Lane View Post
    Did Anet decide against giving out 200 gems to players who logged in yesterday?
    Didn`t occur on my account, did you get some achievement points chest? Those can give gems.

  18. #32558
    It was data-mined a while ago that everyone who logged on Aug. 28th would receive 200 gems, but I guess they decided not to do it. :\

    Edit: Ugh, I knew I should have invested in dyes when I was worried about gold devaluing. They're up 10s/ea. over what I could have bought them for at the time. -_-
    Last edited by Lane; 2013-08-29 at 12:59 PM.

  19. #32559
    Quote Originally Posted by Lane View Post
    It was data-mined a while ago that everyone who logged on Aug. 28th would receive 200 gems, but I guess they decided not to do it. :\

    Edit: Ugh, I knew I should have invested in dyes when I was worried about gold devaluing. They're up 10s/ea. over what I could have bought them for at the time. -_-
    Thx for reminding me I need to buy some from the laurel vendor :P

  20. #32560
    I still think gems are probably the best item to hold value. I can't see the price ever dropping.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •