1. #33141
    I only know of the one shortcut at the end with the wind powerup. In this case, first I got lucky getting several of the aspect powerups at the beginning (I forget what they're called, the ones that make #2 super fast/far). Second, I got Light Travel even after passing everyone, which was weird (maybe the game hadn't yet registered my new position when I hit the jar), but there was really no catching up to me after that, and I used the wind powerup for the shortcut at the end.
    Last edited by Lane; 2013-10-13 at 05:16 PM.

  2. #33142
    There's a couple I know of. After the wooden bridge there's a couple of air jumps you have to do
    after that most people run left while on the right there's wood planks you can run over with crystals (near the end)

    There's also a big semi-circle that most people run all the way out but it's a lot faster to use lightning to jump across to the end.

    Loads of shortcuts tbh
    In most cases, I understand the other side's viewpoint and how they came to it, but cannot tolerate their stubbornness to not see mine (the right one).

  3. #33143
    It would have been between the last checkpoint before the end, where I was number 1 and alone, and the actual end where I was suddenly behind someone.

  4. #33144
    Herald of the Titans Achaman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    pfft as if you care..
    Posts
    2,681
    new chars are more horrible to level than other games for sure

  5. #33145
    Dreadlord Fishbait's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    On a wild ride with Zebedee.
    Posts
    731
    Long time since I`ve played that, but didn`t they make new players entering the race get the lead?
    Something dodgy (anet hair brained ;p ) to not leave them sat right at the start or similar.

    Shame about MKs Rumble, doesn`t look like it is returning this year, was contemplating installing again just for the odd play or three in there. Ah well...

  6. #33146
    Quote Originally Posted by Achaman View Post
    new chars are more horrible to level than other games for sure
    That depends somewhat on profession. The Soldiers(Warrior and Guardian)have an easier time than the more lightly-armored ones. It also depends on playstyle. If you expect to only sit in one place and take it all on the face all the time, you're in for a surprise. You need to learn to stay mobile and active in your defense to really succeed. Also, trying to push too far too soon is a mistake.

    I quickly took the tack that it's far easier to go around to all the starting zones and do the Reknown Hearts of the first five levels or so for each, to make progressing further into any one zone less painful. With the way level scaling works, you can't just bull your way over everything. But, having more skills unlocked and available, and especially being able to access traits, will make overcoming things much easier than it would be at the actual level of the area in question.

  7. #33147
    Bloodsail Admiral nevermore's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    1,124
    I actually find the first half of the levelling process OK, but once I hit 35-40 I just tend to give up. I mean, you get access to all your skills by the time you're 30 and from then on it's just 1 trait point per level for another 50! levels... which is quite frankly awful.
    For me personally levelling a new character has to have a carrot on a stick, something to look forward to every time you level up ("omg 5 more levels and I get to use that shiny new ability" etc) otherwise it becomes dull as eff.
    Shockingly, most of my characters have been sitting around lvl35 for about a year now.

  8. #33148
    Legendary! draykorinee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Ciderland, arrgh.
    Posts
    6,760
    Quote Originally Posted by nevermore View Post
    I actually find the first half of the levelling process OK, but once I hit 35-40 I just tend to give up. I mean, you get access to all your skills by the time you're 30 and from then on it's just 1 trait point per level for another 50! levels... which is quite frankly awful.
    For me personally levelling a new character has to have a carrot on a stick, something to look forward to every time you level up ("omg 5 more levels and I get to use that shiny new ability" etc) otherwise it becomes dull as eff.
    Shockingly, most of my characters have been sitting around lvl35 for about a year now.
    Definitely, I had 2 around level 26-30 myself, just couldn't find the will to get them up.

  9. #33149
    I dunno, I find having traits to look forward to that add new dimensions to how I play my char helped keep me going. That and actually exploring the world and seeing what's in the zones.

  10. #33150
    levels are pointless anyway, still rather disappointed they have them in the game in the first place

  11. #33151
    Quote Originally Posted by nevermore View Post
    I actually find the first half of the levelling process OK, but once I hit 35-40 I just tend to give up. I mean, you get access to all your skills by the time you're 30 and from then on it's just 1 trait point per level for another 50! levels... which is quite frankly awful.
    For me personally levelling a new character has to have a carrot on a stick, something to look forward to every time you level up ("omg 5 more levels and I get to use that shiny new ability" etc) otherwise it becomes dull as eff.
    Shockingly, most of my characters have been sitting around lvl35 for about a year now.
    I know what you mean, but also always found it irritating to be leveling using ABC powers, then gaining XYZ power later that dictate how the actual class will play at max level. It's not as bad as it used to be.

    So yeah, it'd be nice if traits could unlock different things, maybe even fundamentally alter a power in some way, but the game is more about the world than the stats, so it doesn't seem a priority. Not much of a toolbar.

  12. #33152
    Quote Originally Posted by nevermore View Post
    I actually find the first half of the levelling process OK, but once I hit 35-40 I just tend to give up. I mean, you get access to all your skills by the time you're 30 and from then on it's just 1 trait point per level for another 50! levels... which is quite frankly awful.
    For me personally levelling a new character has to have a carrot on a stick, something to look forward to every time you level up ("omg 5 more levels and I get to use that shiny new ability" etc) otherwise it becomes dull as eff.
    Shockingly, most of my characters have been sitting around lvl35 for about a year now.
    Originally there was not going to be any character levels in GW2. Then they decided they wanted to do the GW1 thing where players have access to key attributes at a relatively low level- 30.

    Going through various iterations it seems Anet never got the post level 30 reward structure sorted out. To be honest, I don't think the game scales very well beyond that level 30-35ish mark either.

    I remember on my first character during launch week getting gear that was mostly ineffectual to performance past that level range. To the point that by the time I was in lower Mt. Maelstrom, Sparkfly and Orr (roughly the early to mid 70s) I was in gear composed of a mish-mash of level 30, 40, 60 gear with little concern or pressure to swap anything out. The same held true for traits and weapon kit as there was almost no reason to ever swap out a single skill or contemplate some past earned trait.

    It wasn't till the exotic gear could be equipped that there seemed any significant impact on character development post level 30 for me.

    By contrast I just played 45 mins of D3 on a HC Monk normal mode. The pacing and doling out of skills, runes and gear in the game is almost perfection in both a design and psychological sense. Not that D3's scaling is all roses [its the major pitfall of D3 coupled with oversimple gameplay], natch. Though in pacing and reward structure it gets a lot right similar to Ocarnia of Time or Megaman X, for example.

    I don't think pacing of character advancement in GW2 is a particularly serious problem overall. Many players are less inclined to the mechanical operation of their games- simply enjoying the act of playing moreso than thinking about a game(s) in an analytical sense. So I reckon a good number of players just enjoy the base gameplay and interactions within the game environment(s) of GW2 all the same.

    Still, there doesn't seem to be much if any pressure within GW2's game systems to lend significance to choices of skills, traits and gear post level 30 for a good long while.
    Last edited by Fencers; 2013-10-14 at 03:09 PM.

  13. #33153
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Still, there doesn't seem to be much if any pressure within GW2's game systems to lend significance to choices of skills, traits and gear post level 30 for a good long while.
    I can't speak for all classes, but there's a definite difference in how a Minion-heavy build plays on a Necromancer traited vs. untraited. The boosts to their health and damage, as well as the ability to siphon health through all the minions' attacks, is pretty significant compared to not having them equipped. There are probably other examples as well, but some really do impact playstyle more than just seeing how many points you have in a trait line.

  14. #33154
    I haven't really focused much on levels gained on my past few alts. I do the dailies with them (if they're not already 80) and/or WvW, whatever applicable LS content there is such as Scarlet invasions, etc. and they end up hitting 80 on their own without much effort. I've also seen a trend of people swapping out their characters at the ends of dungeons for EXP, though I have never done that myself, it's supposedly a fast way to level as well.

    I guess if all you're doing is map completion trying to gain levels it could be slow.

  15. #33155
    With all but my Necromancer(who is 80 and still slowly exploring the world map)I do all the starting zones, do the dailies with whichever I'm levelling currently, and spend some time farming the Queensdale champ train if I'm of a mood to. Have two at 50, four at 40, and the last still coming up through the other explorables. Once I get them all to 50 my plan is to get out and do some more map completion. I'm interested to see how fast they can level with the Halloween event, though. If that proves expeditious, I may grind on that as well.

  16. #33156
    Just do Mad King's Labyrinth and join the zerg in there. I got 3 levels on my necro in about an hour. The leveling there is pretty insane.

  17. #33157
    yeah, I'm leveling my Guardian there, used a birthday xp boost with it and the leveling is pretty good

  18. #33158
    Herald of the Titans Achaman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    pfft as if you care..
    Posts
    2,681
    i used cooking and some other prof i forget to get 20 easy levels but then thinking of making a new char i worry what to do next time since i dont really want every single char with the same proffs just because its a quicker leveling experience since im not going to use them at cap for fancy food or w.e but at the same time the other proffs either cost more or take way more materials

    i hate dailies/repeatables and after two playthroughs doing the same zones again everytime is just painful

  19. #33159
    Titan Kelimbror's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Bear Taco, Left Hand of Death
    Posts
    13,986
    I find the leveling in GW2 to be one of the largest flaws as well. It would have been more ideal to have the ability to go to any zone immediately. To be honest I think there were just system discrepancies that forced their hand into taking the easy way out with levels. Namely things like crafting and how gear worked. Really hard to stuff 600 levels of crafting in the game when there's no level based progression. They would have had to consolidate a lot of professions instead of having such an abundance.

    The personal story could have remained, as a guide through some zones, but really it seems like gear and crafting were the awkward ducks that didn't mesh without levels. I guess they could have made crafting levels the same, let the stat levels on the gear to remain constant through the levels, but then allow different materials to create visually different items. This would have hade the neat side effect of making all gathering nodes relevant and may have actually kept people spread out among the zones.

    But meh, not really useful to talk about what ifs at this point. They still hit the largest homerun in my book in creating a game that constantly provides content for people who play it every day, yet lets someone like me come and go as I please. The only thing I feel like I've missed out on is making my character look uber fantastic and getting many achievements.

    Otherwise, it's a joy to be able to see a fancy Halloween patch and jump on for a week or two, then go back to other games. I've specifically given them money as a thank you, when other games I would have paid nothing. It doesn't hurt that their cash shop is fairly intriguing.
    BAD WOLF

  20. #33160
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelimbror View Post
    I find the leveling in GW2 to be one of the largest flaws as well. It would have been more ideal to have the ability to go to any zone immediately. To be honest I think there were just system discrepancies that forced their hand into taking the easy way out with levels. Namely things like crafting and how gear worked. Really hard to stuff 600 levels of crafting in the game when there's no level based progression. They would have had to consolidate a lot of professions instead of having such an abundance.

    The personal story could have remained, as a guide through some zones, but really it seems like gear and crafting were the awkward ducks that didn't mesh without levels. I guess they could have made crafting levels the same, let the stat levels on the gear to remain constant through the levels, but then allow different materials to create visually different items. This would have hade the neat side effect of making all gathering nodes relevant and may have actually kept people spread out among the zones.

    But meh, not really useful to talk about what ifs at this point. They still hit the largest homerun in my book in creating a game that constantly provides content for people who play it every day, yet lets someone like me come and go as I please. The only thing I feel like I've missed out on is making my character look uber fantastic and getting many achievements.

    Otherwise, it's a joy to be able to see a fancy Halloween patch and jump on for a week or two, then go back to other games. I've specifically given them money as a thank you, when other games I would have paid nothing. It doesn't hurt that their cash shop is fairly intriguing.
    Re: the bold, the way I see it, if they didn't have levels (and thus, no need for different level armor), crafting could stay in it's current state, just with each current set of armor having a different design rather than different levels.

    Edit: And then I read further into your post and saw you said the same thing!

    Quote Originally Posted by Ryngo Blackratchet View Post
    Yeah, Rhandric is right, as usual.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •