Ok, I'm intrigued by all the lore/story discussion on the "Something big.." thread so I wanna ask:

How good is the game in conveying the whole Tyria story to new players who haven't played the first GW? Is it available for all Proffs or do you have to play all of them to get every bit of it? Are there any other interesting stories besides the Elder Dragons?

Shame that I missed the xmas deal on GW2. Oh well, I got TSW for 5$ so that should keep me entertained till the discount is up again.

Quote Originally Posted by Andeus View Post
    Ok, I'm intrigued by all the lore/story discussion on the "Something big.." thread so I wanna ask:

How good is the game in conveying the whole Tyria story to new players who haven't played the first GW? Is it available for all Proffs or do you have to play all of them to get every bit of it? Are there any other interesting stories besides the Elder Dragons?

Shame that I missed the xmas deal on GW2. Oh well, I got TSW for 5$ so that should keep me entertained till the discount is up again.

Didn't play gw1 but play gw2, I enjoy the story and didn't really know much of it I had a good understanding, dragons = bad gw2 set 200 years ahead of gw1 etc
    but I still had to go read the wiki's on things like abaddon and the dragons etc for real detail and a good story at that.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntermyth View Post
    change is almost always good, embrace it.

A lot of the lore is there, if you look for it. It's not as up front, in your face as it was in GW1, IMO, but the details are there. The details about the elder dragons, especially Zhaitan, are fairly pervasive, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryngo Blackratchet View Post
    Yeah, Rhandric is right, as usual.

Quote Originally Posted by Karizee View Post
    It's a scar, not a tattoo
    "The Mask of the Wanderer skins is a stylish new face tattoo available as a helm for all professions!" :P

Bad? Awful? Terrible? Honestly, I've been playing GW2 for almost 1.5 years now, I have 3k hours clocked, 100% map completion on multiple characters, and I know very little of the lore. (I also did not play GW1 and near as I can tell, if you didn't, you will be completely lost and possibly never found.) I suppose if you enjoy going around talking to every NPC (which involves clicking through a lot of irrelevant dialog) and/or reading scattered books around the world you might learn something, but you definitely have to put in a significant amount of effort -- moreso than any other MMO I've played.

There's also the issue of them simply not adding story to the game in the case of the Living Story updates and requiring you to reference their website to get the full picture, which... irritates me to no end.

It depends on who you ask, some people feel GW2 does an adequate job of conveying its lore, but in my opinion it's the worst MMO I've played in terms of relaying the story to the player. The best you will get is the personal story and -- since I don't want to spoil anything -- even that only lasts so long as you reach a certain point where it has a very singular focus that doesn't tell you anything about Tyria other than a very small region of it. Maybe there are interesting stories outside of a certain elder dragon, but I've certainly not been made aware of them through 'normal' play.
    Last edited by Lane; 2014-01-07 at 10:30 PM.
    "If you have been touched by the demon, it's like being touched by the back hand of God. Makes you sacred in a way, doesn't it? Makes you unique, with a kind of glory. The glory of suffering, even." - Penny Dreadful

I have 3 80s and have been playing since beta and know really nothing about the lore besides the very basics. Never played gw1 so I came into the game not knowing much to begin with. The personal story will walk you through some things and the npcs that show you the map say some stuff but besides that you are on your own to figure out the rest. I have heard that there are a lot of in game books you can read through. They probably contain a lot of info. I never checked that out.
    I love MMO-Champion. Bring's out the best of people. Cheers!

the in game books are a bit of a disappointment. when the game first came out I expected for them to be a bit like how the elder scrolls has their books but that's not the case. Almost all of them have one or two sentences and that's it. To get the lore you have to do a combination of everything, read the books, listen to NPC's, pay attention to the events (especially the chain events), do the renown hearts and actually pay attention to what they say, use the scouts, and also read what every clickable NPC tells you. It's quite a bit more work than most mmos to get the lore even though it's more believable to get the lore this way, just a bit more inconvenient.

Plus the personal stories and the story mode dungeons, they both add to the lore of course.

You can pick up on the Lore if you investigate the world here and there, but I've learned most of my Lore from watching WoodenPotatoes. I never really got into Lore for any game. In regards to GW2, the only thing that piqued my interests was the Four Winds update. Well that and anything else that linked back to the first game. Stuff like ruins and Oola's Lab.

I stand corrected, thank you for pointing that out.

I may get 2, one for PvE and one for PvP. (it still looks like a scar to me, especially when dyed blood red - bloody scar across my face yarrr!)
    Who knows more of gods than I? Horse gods and fire gods, gods made of gold with gemstone eyes, gods carved of cedar wood, gods chiseled into mountains, gods of empty air... I know them all.
    ~Euron "Crow's Eye" Greyjoy

Its awful at this, absolutely awful, I am certainly no lore junky anyway but I couldnt be any more unimpressed with GW2 story telling. For someone with no knowledge of GW1 coming in to a new game I expected lore to be chucked at me, but no after 50 odd hours I couldn't tell you much at all.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Karizee View Post
    I stand corrected, thank you for pointing that out.
    What is this madness :P

I was thinking the other day. Anet should have in some way implemented Outposts like they had in GW1. Like the Sunspear Sanctuary was one of, if not the most favourite places on any game. I loved the whole concept of that place. Like we should have Ebonhawke-like cities everywhere on smaller scale.

Wow, they removed the suggestions forum (from the official site)?
    "If you have been touched by the demon, it's like being touched by the back hand of God. Makes you sacred in a way, doesn't it? Makes you unique, with a kind of glory. The glory of suffering, even." - Penny Dreadful

https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/foru...st#post3465338

I doubt this`ll go well.
    Look at classes threads, it`s a rarity you ever see anet in ele threads (no idea about others) so putting suggestions amongst every other ele post asking for builds, help, general discussion & rants, the suggestions will just vanish thirty pages behind everything else because of lack of replies & so on.
    But folk did this in the past, such as reporting bugs in bugs, having that thread then moved by mods to ele forums or some other random place, only to be locked because it didn`t belong there.

I`m also curious, I`ve heard that dungeons thread is regularly an abuse fest with locks, bans etc.
    How come that didn`t get closed, yet the WvWs thread did...?
    (I do like the conspiracy theory about gw2guru & Grouch though lol)

It'll be interesting... I mean I get why they think it's a good idea, but I feel like it'll make suggestions easier to miss and in turn good suggestions will likely go unnoticed more often.

Quote Originally Posted by Lane View Post
    Hey, how about that new tattoo "helmet"?

It makes me wish they had a face/glasses/eye slot and a helm slot, instead of just the helm slot. Imagine wearing a hood on a necromancer with the glowing white wraith eyes. Or if someone is into the town clothes stuff, imagine wearing a fancy top hat with one of the glasses town clothes that have been released.

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonKing View Post
    It makes me wish they had a face/glasses/eye slot and a helm slot, instead of just the helm slot. Imagine wearing a hood on a necromancer with the glowing white wraith eyes. Or if someone is into the town clothes stuff, imagine wearing a fancy top hat with one of the glasses town clothes that have been released.
    I just wish I could wear the aviator hat as part of my real armor.
    blah, new sig... something something

I kind of like it, sadly I don't see anything of it with my current hair I'm wearing on my mesmer. So it's sitting in the bank since I'm not sure if I'd use it on my alts.
    Possibly my warrior.

I'd like a new GW2 song. I like 'Fear Not This Night' and I think that Scarlet's story going to end is an excelent opportunity to make a new one (like fntn plays at the end of personal story)

When I logged on (~2pm EST) we were ticking +30, so the screenshot is actually a minor improvement. :P