Sadly this won't come to GW2 since they had it in GW and cut it for "simplicity". That was why some weapons were super valuable even with similar stats but with another weapon type.
    In most cases, I understand the other side's viewpoint and how they came to it, but cannot tolerate their stubbornness to not see mine (the right one).

Quote Originally Posted by Maarius View Post
    why should they add new professions when they are able to create new archetypes by adding new weaponsets. I mean think about it: you don't have to level a new character to lv.80 again, you play your loved main-character in ways you haven't experienced before.
    * Ranger + staff --> Druid
    * Thief + staff --> Martial Artist
    * Necro + greatsword --> Deathknight
    * Elementalist + dual swords --> Battlemage

This is all I want to see personally, existing weapons expanded to other professions to create totally new playstyles. Then add new utilities/elite skills that go with that archetype even more... perfect.
    I like that idea! I'd definitely play a staff thief.

Quote Originally Posted by Meledelion View Post
    Sadly this won't come to GW2 since they had it in GW and cut it for "simplicity". That was why some weapons were super valuable even with similar stats but with another weapon type.
    I don't actually expect this type of stuff in Guild Wars 2, of course. Just like the idea of it all the same.

GW2 is just poorly designed overall. A fun game though. Very interesting to think/analyze because it has so many odd parts to it. But not well designed.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    That's part of my wish too, Vagrant Story did that actually. Hence why I mentioned it as a game that excelled at making gear matter as more than a stat stick. It meant something to use a sword vs. a polearm that was a factor of the item itself, not just the abilities you may use with a sword v. polearm.
    but this is exactly what sigils do, no? There are sigils which give the weapon additional bleeding uptime, or bleeds at weapon-switch. There are +5% damage sigils as well as sigils that do more damage at night.

you describe GW2's normalized system as one of it's biggest faults. (even one of the many design flaws). You fail to see that this is also one of GW2's biggest strengths. Having a system where gear is normalized so that you get to the highest power-state in a relatively short time so that vertical progression is minimal and horizontal progression takes over soon. No endless gear grind, no problems in keeping up with your friends when returning after a longer break. This is also one of the reasons many players love this game so much.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    I don't actually expect this type of stuff in Guild Wars 2, of course. Just like the idea of it all the same.

GW2 is just poorly designed overall. A fun game though. Very interesting to think/analyze because it has so many odd parts to it. But not well designed.
    I like a lot of the oddities in GW2 I do think GW2 does some things better than other mmos, for one it is the only mmo I have enjoyed leveling in. I am hoping people look to GW2 for inspiration for future mmos.

- - - Updated - - -

Having a system where gear is normalized so that you get to the highest power-state in a relatively short time so that vertical progression is minimal and horizontal progression takes over soon. No endless gear grind, no problems in keeping up with your friends when returning after a longer break. This is also one of the reasons many players love this game so much.
    I love that there is no gear grind, that was the thing that got me to quit wow eventually. I didn't like the fact that I had to go and level all over again and grind for the best gear every time a new expansion comes out.

Arenanet needs to think of some other way to keep people playing constantly without putting in a treadmill. The living story does it partially, but there needs to be something more.. I'm not sure what though.

Quote Originally Posted by worprz View Post
    Arenanet needs to think of some other way to keep people playing constantly without putting in a treadmill. The living story does it partially, but there needs to be something more.. I'm not sure what though.
    well these other ways would be constantly new content instead of having a new raid every year. Yes, we had a break lately, but we got really polished content because of it.

Personally I enjoyed the hell out of the new episode. People telling me they stopped playing after 2 hours just don't want to play Guildwars 2. It's as simple as that. There's a huge variety of things to do in the game, a lot of them can be repeated infinitely while being fun when playing with others. Some guys here seem to forget that, just looking for gear upgrades and leaving when this stops.

Sure, some guys only have fun when they find new gear upgrades... well, that's not was GW2 is about.

I'm amazed how many people don't get GW2 and want it to be an other mmo. They are offended if you tell them "maybe this game isn't for you", they stay and keep criticising the game over and over instead of finding the game that is designed with it's own ideals in mind.

you describe GW2's normalized system as one of it's biggest faults. (even one of the many design flaws). You fail to see that this is also one of GW2's biggest strengths.

Having a system where gear is normalized so that you get to the highest power-state in a relatively short time so that vertical progression is minimal and horizontal progression takes over soon. No endless gear grind, no problems in keeping up with your friends when returning after a longer break. This is also one of the reasons many players love this game so much.
    She's not talking about stats as in a vertical progression system, she's talking stats as in what I described later, I don't get why whenever people bring up a topic you always throw in "NO VERTICAL PROGRESSION IS AWESOME!" when it's not being discussed at all.

Your entire second paragraph is beside the point and achieves nothing but derail from the original opinion.

Fencers wants weapons to have something that sets them apart from each other. It wouldn't matter if mesmers had the same skills but used a dagger instead of a sword. Not a single weapon has a trait that sets them apart from others there's no increased range, no special type of damage, no Cleave/AoE/Single Target bound to the weapon.

That's why sigils aren't the same, you can chuck them on anything you want and nothing changes. If tomorrow a-net decides that swords don't really go to well with mesmer aesthetically so they change the weapon to dagger nothing meaningful changes. Compare that to GW where having a Battlepick (axe that has Piercing damage instead of Slashing like most) actually mattered just like the Colossal Pick (hammer with Piercing instead of Blunt damage) mattered and was a big advantage in certain situations.
    In most cases, I understand the other side's viewpoint and how they came to it, but cannot tolerate their stubbornness to not see mine (the right one).

Deleted
    well these other ways would be constantly new content instead of having a new raid every year. Yes, we had a break lately, but we got really polished content because of it.

Personally I enjoyed the hell out of the new episode. People telling me they stopped playing after 2 hours just don't want to play Guildwars 2. It's as simple as that. There's a huge variety of things to do in the game, a lot of them can be repeated infinitely while being fun when playing with others. Some guys here seem to forget that, just looking for gear upgrades and leaving when this stops.

Sure, some guys only have fun when they find new gear upgrades... well, that's not was GW2 is about.

I'm amazed how many people don't get GW2 and want it to be an other mmo. They are offended if you tell them "maybe this game isn't for you", they stay and keep criticising the game over and over instead of finding the game that is designed with it's own ideals in mind.
    I guess it sometimes has to do with how people have their ways of having fun. I'm never bored, I've always got something to do :'D And when I'm done, I take my time to look for something new.

But I figured with some friends of mine, when they're bored (for example when the tv doesn't work) and I suggest something, it's always 'nah' or 'no that's boring too', because they rather watch tv while that's not going to happen =-=

And that annoys the *** out of me.

I spend around 6 hours to do the whole story, read everything carefully and finish all the achievements with my friends. It was a lot of fun, and if people still don't see fun in that they're on the wrong game >_> Because really, what else is fun for them?

Fencers wants weapons to have something that sets them apart from each other. It wouldn't matter if mesmers had the same skills but used a dagger instead of a sword. Not a single weapon has a trait that sets them apart from others there's no increased range, no special type of damage, no Cleave/AoE/Single Target bound to the weapon.

That's why sigils aren't the same, you can chuck them on anything you want and nothing changes. If tomorrow a-net decides that swords don't really go to well with mesmer aesthetically so they change the weapon to dagger nothing meaningful changes. Compare that to GW where having a Battlepick (axe that has Piercing damage instead of Slashing like most) actually mattered just like the Colossal Pick (hammer with Piercing instead of Blunt damage) mattered and was a big advantage in certain situations.
    Isn't it obvious that in a game with (2 kinds of) PvP it's not easy to balance such a thing you two are suggesting. Each condition for a weaponset is balanced around all the other weapons. You can't just decide to have a wider range for your shortbow, this would instantly make the bow overpowered. You can't just throw random new characteristics on weapons. This might work for PvE-only games, but not when PvP is involved.

Isn't it obvious that in a game with (2 kinds of) PvP it's not easy to balance such a thing you two are suggesting. Each condition for a weaponset is balanced around all the other weapons. You can't just decide to have a wider range for your shortbow, this would instantly make the bow overpowered. You can't just throw random new characteristics on weapons. This might work for PvE-only games, but not when PvP is involved.
    Fun fact, PvP will never be balanced

"It won't work in PvP cause balance" is never an actual working excuse.
    Pokemon FC: 4425-2708-3610

I received a day one ORAS demo code. I am a chosen one.

Quote Originally Posted by zito View Post
    Fun fact, PvP will never be balanced

"It won't work in PvP cause balance" is never an actual working excuse.
    at least they do their best. Take a look at other games and tell me how many builds are actually viable for PvP. (example: WoW. There was 1 skill-tree which was "the PvP" build.)

"It will never be balanced" is the worst excuse for bringing in new unbalanced changes. At least try to make it as balanced as possible with what you have.

10+ Year Old Account

This is all more so in general, I'm aware you weren't talking to me personally. <3

Everyone's different, and like you said your opinion is personal, but quantity =/= quality in a lot of cases. I had this same problem with WoW, where there were all kinds of things added that I could do, yet none of them were of interest, which meant the only thing I did in WoW was raid. When I didn't enjoy raiding anymore, the game had nothing of interest, which meant I had to quit.

For GW2, I've truly enjoyed GW and GW2 since their releases, but I generally don't play for maybe more than 20 hours a month, if I even play on any given month (I think I've maybe done monthly completion TWICE this year), but don't get me wrong, It's one of my favorite games, but after playing for a little bit I do get a little bored and then I come back and not because of living seasons, but because I like the game.

Now would I ever play GW2 full time? Eh, -maybe-, but probably not. It works very well as a side casual game for me, something I can log into for an hour, run around do what ever events up and log off. I'd prolly play more if I got a precursor but that'd only be because I'd hate to get one and then do nothing with it.

But either way, regardless of how little time I put into this game compared to other games, and how, yes, I do get bored after a little while doesn't change the fact I do truly enjoy the game or else I wouldn't log into it every so often since release just to have a good time for a while. It's the one game that I've installed on every comp I've had as a general "what to reinstall" if I get a new one.

While I could say there would be things I'd like to change, I personally wouldn't change anything. The games fine for what I want from it, but again everyone's different and treats what they play differently~

but this is exactly what sigils do, no?
    No. Sigils relate a bonus to the item. The bonus is neutral to the weapon or item being used.

you describe GW2's normalized system as one of it's biggest faults. (even one of the many design flaws). You fail to see that this is also one of GW2's biggest strengths. Having a system where gear is normalized so that you get to the highest power-state in a relatively short time so that vertical progression is minimal and horizontal progression takes over soon.
    That is not what I mean by normalization. I mean the pieces of gear you obtain can all have the same statistical configuration. Where there is no specific identifier that one is using a hammer or sword, heavy or light armor other than appearance and the skill bundled with that item.

A gear grind isn't parallel to what I was speaking about. You have misread the post severely.

Yes, this user quoted below read the posts correctly:

This is an appropriate and intelligent understanding of mechanics and devices used as gameplay in the context of Guild Wars.

Well parsed, sir.

- - - Updated - - -

Isn't it obvious that in a game with (2 kinds of) PvP it's not easy to balance such a thing you two are suggesting.
    Then this would be indicative of poor game design.
    Last edited by Fencers; 2014-11-10 at 02:17 PM.

at least they do their best. Take a look at other games and tell me how many builds are actually viable for PvP. (example: WoW. There was 1 skill-tree which was "the PvP" build.)

"It will never be balanced" is the worst excuse for bringing in new unbalanced changes. At least try to make it as balanced as possible with what you have.
    The point is you will never have anything balanced. So changing up weapons and balancing them is no different then just the current balancing act they are doing now.

It's not an excuse for anything for something to not be added.
    Pokemon FC: 4425-2708-3610

I received a day one ORAS demo code. I am a chosen one.

Well, the PVP in Guild Wars 2 is actually not balanced. Objectively. It is designed to be asymmetrical. It is not a matter of "they can't balance everything!", the actual case is Arena.net chose to balance X, Y, Z elements.

The argument is nonsensical.

I think there's also the issue of the metagame. If you give more variety among items (slashing gives more bleeds, poking gives more crit!) then everyone goes to the better one (crit for life!) and the other is ignored. If you tweak the numbers to make it better (more bleeds, don't nerf crit!) you piss off some folks, and at best cause a shift to the other. You do need some variety among things, and GW2 could certainly use a bit more (I wish they had more interaction between slot skills and weapon skills), but I think their "simplicity" stance is simply that, they want to avoid complicating things that simply won't matter in the game.

It would be nice if they had more situational usefulness to some stuff, where you'd be changing based on conditions more often to justify certain abilities, while keeping the actual damage comparable when it didn't really matter.

I know I'm beating a dead horse, but I just wish ANet actually fixed condition stacking. It's 2014, they can't possibly blame it on technical issues. Are their server parks powered by hamsters?

It's just annoying that all these skills and traits add bleeding/burning/whatever, but in reality they don't actually do anything because bosses get condition capped in like 0.5 seconds.
    Such lazy design :/

The crowd control resistance of mobs is I think a more critical flaw in game design. It makes it so that all direct encounters are essentially strafe-a-thons. I have rarely met anything in the game that is not defeated by circle strafing it till it dies. Yet a good bulk of one's skill bar (which you can't change around. so shameful.) is taken up by either CC or positional skills.

Only time strafing is not the most powerful tool in the game is when a gimmick is employed; lighting a cannon, tossing a rock or training slimes, etc. They literally can not create their encounters in any other way due to the fundamental design of action combat Anet are trying to reconcile with static based devices like, DOTs.

Why even bother? Why even lock my action bar?

It's just sorta dumb. A big, dumb action game.
    Last edited by Fencers; 2014-11-10 at 04:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by nevermore View Post
    I know I'm beating a dead horse, but I just wish ANet actually fixed condition stacking. It's 2014, they can't possibly blame it on technical issues. Are their server parks powered by hamsters?

It's just annoying that all these skills and traits add bleeding/burning/whatever, but in reality they don't actually do anything because bosses get condition capped in like 0.5 seconds.
    Such lazy design :/
    Well, if they didn't have a cap, stacks would reach such numbers the boss would fall over in five seconds and everyone would stack condi dmg/duration for bleeds. I wish there was a compromise of some sort, but no decent solution seems forthcoming.

i started playing again recently after not playing for 2 years and i've only really done wvw so far.
    anything pve that has happened in those 2 years that's worth checking out?