10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Marest View Post
    Hm, alright. I was more interested in if there would be a "middle ground". As it stands, I'm a frequent HoN and LoL player, and very much like to play support in those games. The difference is though that as a support, you are usually offensive as well (and helpful). My question was aimed at figuring out if all classes will be "damage dealers" or if there will be differences, say that one class is oriented in buffing/improving the party (not necessarily healing) while still doing damage; seems this will be the case.

Pyre Fierceshot's post made things a bit clearer for me.
    All of the classes seem to play a balance of support and independent at the same time. Guardians pop walls to block incoming damage, signets to heal, and (I believe) a skill that absorbs the debuffs from nearby allies. Almost all of the classes will have skills like that, and with the utility skills you can deck yourself out with more supportive skills, while your main skills (the weapon ones) will be a mix of offensive and defensive depending on the weapon chosen, letting you deal damage and helping allies at the same time.
    If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight!
    Sun Tzu said that, and I'd say he knows a little more about fighting then you do, pal! Because he invented it, and perfected it so no living man could best him in the ring of honor.

-The Soldier

Here's a nice post I made a few pages ago on "tanking" in GW2, maybe this will help you better understand how GW2's PvE system works Marest:

Quote Originally Posted by Barrowmore View Post
    As I'm listening to the PAX 2011 panel, something clicked in my head while the lack of Tank/Healer/DPS roles was being discussed. The difficulty and skill cap of GW2 PvE content will be very high. The speaker they had on gave the example of a warrior being able to run in and throw up his shield for only a few seconds while his allies healed themselves. The warrior would then have to immediately step off and let someone else tank the damage, or risk death. It sounds like players will not be able to simply stand there and take damage the entire fight. Very short lasting mitigation skills with cooldowns are necessary in order for someone to tank efficiently.

Looking at the wiki, the skill that the Warrior used in that example is Shield Stance, which blocks incoming melee/projectile attacks for a short time on a 25 second cooldown.
    Pretty much every class has some similar way of avoiding damage like this, like the Necromancer's Ghost Armor and the Thief's plethora of dodging skills.
    Last edited by Barrowmore; 2011-09-17 at 02:04 AM.

Deleted
    Here's a nice post I made a few pages ago on "tanking" in GW2, maybe this will help you better understand how GW2's PvE system works Marest:
    Seriously, this just made me even more excited. If they pull such a system off, that means the game will require some nice team synergy throughout, not to mention proper cooldown management; both offensive and defensive. My fear is however that they will cater to the more mainstream crowd and make everyone "tanks" or just over-simplifying the dodge and avoid mechanics.

Here is hoping for intense team synergy, cheers for the reply; +1.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Rivehn View Post
    There working pretty hard to make sure there is good end game and hardcore content. This company seems to know what they have coming there way. A huge crowd of hardcore players.
    It sure looks like the game will be fiendishly hard o_O Which makes me just all the more excited about it, I hate it when stuff is too easy :P

I was just looking through necromancer skills and there's some really nice stuff there, things that will work wonders in a group, and they're actually pretty clever stuff. Like e.g. that necromancer can pull negative conditions from groupies to herself, and then "eat" those conditions from herself to gain some health back. I find that pretty clever and interesting, there's nothing even remotely similar in WoW, and it fits well with how necromancer are imagined as.

And with stuff like this a proper group setup seems all the more important, too. You probably can't just throw together a random party for the harder content without paying atleast some attention to how all the professions interact with eachother. If it turns out like this I might pick up group leader role again; I led a guild of my own in WoW for a good while and I enjoyed it, but with all nerfs and simplifications I just found myself losing interest in leading. And since I love leveling alts I'll likely roll one of every profession which will also serve as a bonus in helping me get the necessary insight into how they play with one another

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by GayGirlie View Post
    And with stuff like this a proper group setup seems all the more important, too. You probably can't just throw together a random party for the harder content without paying atleast some attention to how all the professions interact with eachother.
    Actually they have been testing running dungeons with five of the same class to make sure such ridiculous combinations are possible. Also they have said many times they want people to play the profession they want to play.

Whew. I just finished reading hundred pages of this thread had many laughs and found tons of cool info, thanks to ya all!

Yeah they definitely don't want you to need a specific setup. I'm sure some journalists or something got to run a dungeon with 5 engineer at the open day, or maybe just saw a demo.

And Maiqua, welcome to the thread, and that is some seriously impressive reading!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevoman View Post
    I love these changes. Maybe it's because I've always valued utility and teamwork over my personal meter whoring, but the ability to pop Heart and step in for a dead healer/tank for 45s to save the day is Druidism at its finest IMO.
    Quote Originally Posted by DoubleDragon
    Technically dragon eating human is not cannibalism. It is misfortunate inconvinience.

Quote Originally Posted by Maiqua View Post
    Actually they have been testing running dungeons with five of the same class to make sure such ridiculous combinations are possible. Also they have said many times they want people to play the profession they want to play.
    ^ this.

if everything goes like it should (imo) in GW2, proper group = group made of players knowing how to play their char, it should be as simple as that.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Drakhar View Post
    TBH if I see people with Champion of the Gods I'll think "damn nicely done, that shows dediction." If I see someone with GWAMM I'll go "lolol no lifer what a waste of time." Maybe I'm just jelly though. For the record I have Legend of the Mists, which I think is cooler than Champion of the Gods (as is Flameseeker @ 40 points) anyway and doesn't require me to grind out 25 more stupid shitty statues.
    You could go 30/50 and gwamm, so instead paying lot for getting armors/weapons/mini pets to get 50/50 you could spend that money on progressing gwamm titles like drunkard and party animal. Also you can save lot of money now that it's possible to get LDOA and Survivor on same character. I expect gwamm will be lot harder title to achieve after gw2 is launched when there will be less players playing gw1, so it wont be so easy and cheap to get drinks/sweets from other players as it still is.

10+ Year Old Account
    And with stuff like this a proper group setup seems all the more important, too. You probably can't just throw together a random party for the harder content without paying atleast some attention to how all the professions interact with eachother. If it turns out like this I might pick up group leader role again; I led a guild of my own in WoW for a good while and I enjoyed it, but with all nerfs and simplifications I just found myself losing interest in leading. And since I love leveling alts I'll likely roll one of every profession which will also serve as a bonus in helping me get the necessary insight into how they play with one another
    Actually...well, they were asked a question about that and, well they can say it better than I can. Here's a (paraphrased) quote, taken recently from the Guild Wars 2 PAX Prime panel (starting at 35:30):

Quote Originally Posted by PAX Prime 2011 Guild Wars 2 Panel
    Q:...what are you doing to incentivize people to "smartly" make a party and, like, min/max?

A: John Peters: Okay, it's a good question, but to me, the real answer is: most of the time, people really actually just want to play with their friends, so that's what that system is about. The aren't really builds that are "so much better" or "so much worse," there's things you're gonna do and you're gonna wanna coordinate AFTER you make a team, but you don't have to coordinate BEFORE you make a team. If, let's say the five of us are all playing together, and all of us have Warriors, you know we can still play together and after we make our team and start going to fight stuff we might want to think about, you know, someone should prolly bring some Support Skills, someone should prolly have a Shield, you might wanna have a guy with a rifle, but it's not about, "we can't take Eric, even though he's our friend, just because he's got a Warrior too and there's already four of us" - that's not what the system's about.

Eric Flannum: I can elaborate on that a little bit too. So, one of the things about it is that the Holy Trinity systems are very much about taking a specific strategy, the same strategy - over and over again and imposing that upon the encounter. That strategy is almost always: pull, tank, damage, heal, right? And what we wanted with Guild Wars 2 combat is to live more in that space where "something went wrong," and now you have to pay attention to what's going on, and you have to use the tools at your disposal to react to the situation. And so, what ends up happening is, in Guild Wars 2, I would much rather have a good player than a player who plays a specific profession. And the reason for that is because that [good] player's going to be able to react in the right way with the right tools at their disposal to any situations that we get into. And so it's very much about learning what your profession can do in various situations, and about us as designers building that versatility in. You know, trinity systems get built very specifically for that. The guys [(classes, not players)] who can heal generally can't do a heck of a lot else. The guys who can tank generally don't do a lot else. And so what we've done is, we've said, "well, let's make all of our guys do different things, but let's let them do it in kind of a different style," and then the game becomes much more about applying the tools that we give you in your toolbox to the situation at hand. And so there really isn't as much of a sort of min/maxy thing because Player Skill is really going to make up for it.

Just Your Average Lurking Huntard LOLPRIEST forum lurker now.

It's been said that the roles (tank, healer and dps) will be excluded in this game. As a person who likes to play healer/support/medic; will there be specific roles in groups? Say, will there be a possibility for me to play strict support?
    Probably not a "strict" support, but there is definitely the option to support by playing a guardian (lots of defensive abilities that also benefit your allies), and from what I've seen water elementalists also have good supportive abilities, and it wouldn't surprise me if necromancers had some support stuff too (like their wells in GW1).

That article was an interesting read Mothhive. I hadn't heard much about the different Asura colleges, but now I know. I'll be choosing the College of Synergetics for sure.

Deleted
    I was just looking through necromancer skills and there's some really nice stuff there, things that will work wonders in a group, and they're actually pretty clever stuff. Like e.g. that necromancer can pull negative conditions from groupies to herself, and then "eat" those conditions from herself to gain some health back. I find that pretty clever and interesting, there's nothing even remotely similar in WoW, and it fits well with how necromancer are imagined as.
    These tactics already existed and worked in GW1. Usually necro collected conditions from allies, then transfered them back to you in bulk.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by athrl View Post
    These tactics already existed and worked in GW1. Usually necro collected conditions from allies, then transfered them back to you in bulk.
    Well, as I'm not familiar with GW1 I'll likely many such mistakes still in the future It still sounds great and offers a lot different playstyle compared to WoW, for example.

Quote Originally Posted by Newbryn View Post
    norn ranger gameplay parts 1and 2.
    ty, I had trouble finding decently recorded norn gameplay, I'll be watching that later

10+ Year Old Account
    ty, I had trouble finding decently recorded norn gameplay, I'll be watching that later
    Not really good gameplay,but there is some hoelbrak footage and shuverpeaks in short gameplay sucks.

Bleh, just saw a quote from a dev stating that the Demo at the Eurogamer Expo this coming week is going to be the same one as Gamescom and PAX.

http://www.guildwars2guru.com/forum/...449#post921449

Ah well, it'll still be awesome, I was just hoping for some NEW awesome!

Deleted
    The dynamic events look awesome but im sceptical about the 5 man dungeon limit...we have been running 5 mans in WoW for 7 years and they get old real fast,They have their work cut out for them to make em feel epic.
    Last edited by mmoceeceb76e25; 2011-09-17 at 04:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Flimsy View Post
    The Dynamic events look awesome but im sceptical about the 5 man dungeon limit...we have been running 5 mans in WoW for 7 years and they get old real fast,They have their work cut out for them to make em feel epic.
    The thing with Dungeons in GW2 is that they are not the same each time you run them. Each dungeon has a story mode to play through, and then the explorable mode (much harder) has 3 different paths you can choose to take through the dungeon and see the aftermath of the events in the story mode version. There are also random dynamic events that can occur in the dungeons as well to spice things up a bit!