Quote Originally Posted by Grognard View Post
    Actually, with the right hero setup, the Challenge is most easily soloed with absolutely no party splitting.
    Is there a specific set-up I should/could be using? Splitting my party up didn't work too well, and not splitting up just had me become overwhelmed.

Quote Originally Posted by StationaryHawk View Post
    Is there a specific set-up I should/could be using? Splitting my party up didn't work too well, and not splitting up just had me become overwhelmed.
    We used a few mm heros. Cold damage also helps since it does extra damage to destoyers (as opposed to fire in which they have extra armor towards and they are immune to burning). There are some pve only skills that do extra damage versus destroyers as well (Alkars Alchemical Acid works really well). Also I used to love using Panic mesmer heros but that is just in general. Anyway, not sure if you knew any of that but that all might help. If you are a ranger, you could consider using the Winter skill, as it turns all elemental damage into cold damage.

15+ Year Old Account
    Gah, I really need to buy more spells so that I can actually make some of the builds on the gw build wiki. >.<

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaelwryn View Post
    Gah, I really need to buy more spells so that I can actually make some of the builds on the gw build wiki. >.<
    I had this exact same problem. :P

Deleted
    Actually, with the right hero setup, the Challenge is most easily soloed with absolutely no party splitting.
    Yea you can even afk it with proper hero setup and just be in time to collect the chest in the end.

Now that Bioware has officially announced the date for SWTOR, do you guys think that there is any pressure for ANet to be more specific about a date instead of the tired old "when its done" excuse?

Quote Originally Posted by pikachui View Post
    Now that Bioware has officially announced the date for SWTOR, do you guys think that there is any pressure for ANet to be more specific about a date instead of the tired old "when its done" excuse?
    How is it an excuse? It's an honest answer since they won't release it until they're happy with it.

To answer your question, I don't think there is any pressure on Arenanet at all. They don't have a subscription based model, so many people will buy it even if they have another MMO on the go at the time since they can play it between raids, if they want a break from their other game, etc.

The only people to have pressure put on them by this release date is Bioware themselves. They now have to make sure the game is absolutely polished by a set date. I've no doubt theat they're on track for it at the moment, but if anything unexpected comes up that would normally delay the game, they have to either throw more resources at it, release an unfinished game or dissapoint their fans by pushing the date back (which I very much doubt they'd do).

How would it benefit arenanet to specify a date?

Also, since when did actually FINISHING a quality game became tired and old?

Personally, I think releasing MMORPGs before they are done is getting tired and old......

Just to expand on my earlier points about the way Arenanet decided when to release it and the problems that occur when you set a release date for an MMO, here's an interview with Colin Johanson from the Eurogamer Expo who explains it perfectly!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibLCi...ailpage#t=341s
    Last edited by Mothhive; 2011-09-24 at 01:54 PM.

Considering how long it took for Bioware to announce their release date for SWTOR (I mean, they had pre-orders up before the release date was announced), I think Anet has no pressure at all. Besides, if you give a release date too early, and then rush to meet it, you come out with a game that's worse than it could be.
    Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    We used a few mm heros. Cold damage also helps since it does extra damage to destoyers (as opposed to fire in which they have extra armor towards and they are immune to burning). There are some pve only skills that do extra damage versus destroyers as well (Alkars Alchemical Acid works really well). Also I used to love using Panic mesmer heros but that is just in general. Anyway, not sure if you knew any of that but that all might help. If you are a ranger, you could consider using the Winter skill, as it turns all elemental damage into cold damage.
    I've been trying out a couple MM heroes, and have an elementalist skilled for frost damage. Unfortunately, I haven't gotten far enough in Prophecies to get Panic yet, but I'll work on that.
    Last edited by StationaryHawk; 2011-09-24 at 01:56 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Borzo View Post
    How would it benefit arenanet to specify a date?

Also, since when did actually FINISHING a quality game became tired and old?
    To be honest, Rift got a lot of positive press in the beginning exactly because the devs had done a lot of work on polishing it up and that there were no major bugs at launch. And yet they had a specific date they were aiming for. With ANet's approach they have as much time as they can possibly want to polish up quests, skills, animations and so on, and when finally GW2 is released it'll likely receive similarly large amounts of positive PR exactly because of that.

However, if they specified some date they'd only be receiving lots of bad PR every time they missed the date, or they might have found something they need more time to work on but they have to ship the game as-is, and that will again produce some bad PR.

In other words, ANet only stands to gain from not specifying any specific date.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by GayGirlie View Post
    In other words, ANet only stands to gain from not specifying any specific date.
    Only if they handle the whole "Release Date Speculation" better than BW did. People wanted a release date so bad, that the official forums were filled with trolls who hated any update that wasn't a release date.

With the right hero setup and proper flagging you can go AFK for 20 minutes and just come back to collect loot after the hero's kill everything. you wont break any point records doing it that way but still.

Edit: The team build I used when I farmed mine was 3 keystone mesmers 3 discord necro's and a SOS channeling/resto rit. Used xandra as the rit and turned razah into a mes. Basicly set xandra to avoid and everybody else to agressive. Flag the 3 mesmers in an arc on top of the little hill the dragon is on and the rest right on or slightly behind the dragon and they'll do all the work. Rarely one or two hero's would die during a wave but would be rezed, dragon never died.

Templetcodes
    Mesmers:
    OQBCAswDP9HY64a55dwNd6B
    OQlCAswDP9HY6yzcNZwNVeD
    OQBCAcwEP1PQempDXzI0KACI
    Necros:
    OAhjUwGYoSxMKgfBVVDTTOSTjTA
    OAhkUsG3RFuTMzO8FqqDTp5k7iB
    OANEQTpW+LFz8FoAWPoFFQUVZHA
    rit:
    OACjEyiM5QXTlTeTMTciSTTODTA
    Last edited by Merendel; 2011-09-24 at 03:04 PM.

Who is John Galt?

Quote Originally Posted by Buckwald View Post
    Only if they handle the whole "Release Date Speculation" better than BW did. People wanted a release date so bad, that the official forums were filled with trolls who hated any update that wasn't a release date.
    I think they've stated enough times that it won't be released until it's ready that people have taken the hint and don't really ask about it anymore and don't get upset when they don't mention it. Pretty much the only time anyone asks about the release date are interviewers hoping to get something out of them first, but it's always obvious that they pretty much know they aren't gonna get anything new outta them.

Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    also use the dwarven title skill http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Stout-Hearted helps out a bunch against destroyers

Quote Originally Posted by Maklor View Post
    It's mostly newbies that ask this there is no chance they will be able to do it for several reasons.
    Your vote of confidence is reassuring.

I'll look into it nonetheless. I don't expect to start AFK farming it anytime soon, but it's a start.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd much rather have GW2 released "when it's ready", as opposed to "in time for christmas sales".

Quote Originally Posted by Maklor View Post
    It's mostly newbies that ask this there is no chance they will be able to do it for several reasons.
    Meh it depends on how much of the rest of the game they have done. I got the build I posted from a guru thread I googled up when I decided to max out that pedestal on my HOM. Even I had to spend about 20m runing around buying a few skills and I had to go out and capture keystone signet. If you have compleated all 3 campaigns on at least one character there are very few skills that are hard to aquire. A few notable examples are a couple of eliets only located in out of the way places that are a couple maps away from an outpost (looking at you mineral springs) and a few that are exclusive to trainers in outposts you probably wont visit if you just followed the mission path through the campaign.

Oddly enough I found I really liked parts of that build after I'd finished my farming. Tweeked one of the discord/restos into a discord minion bomber, added Shambling horror to the other two and swaped one mesmer to a panic build with hex removal and it chews thorugh most hardmode areas. bit squishier if there's no corpses to fuel the MM but will still kill things fast.

edit Maklor actualy found the thread agian the 5 mesmer build was exsesive, later in the thread there's suggestions that folks can actually acquire without paying for merc slots. prob right though, posting builds is kinda offtopic a bit and I'll refrain in the future.
    Last edited by Merendel; 2011-09-24 at 04:06 PM.

Who is John Galt?

Deleted
    WTB world vs world vs world pvp

How many of you still play the original Guild Wars? If I get it, I'd like to see some people from here on there so I can ease myself into the game. Don't get me wrong, I get by just fine without knowing anyone but just for once, I would like to have some folks to hang out with while I get the basics down (again).