1. #9801
    Quote Originally Posted by Blznsmri View Post
    In WoW I could raid with just a boss mod and some raid bars. Other than that the background, the boss and the actual visual effects were completely unnecessary.
    I think the only reason I like the various UIs (which I don't use because they get rather confusing at times) is because it's a nice change of pace from the bland default one we endure. Which reminds me and I know this isn't entirely on topic... does anyone know of any cool looking UIs I can use? Preferably something that still retains that "RPG" feeling. There were a couple I tested out like this really cool one where there a medium sized circle/orb and clicking on it would open various button layouts, you could have it randomize the mount you used and so on. In fact, if I could find that one again, I would be extremely happy. I think it had the word "moon" or "luna" in it but definitely something along those lines.

    Quote Originally Posted by Neglesh View Post
    I can't wait much longer >.< This game is going to Fu&^%ing rule!

    Just started Guild Wars GOTY and Eye of the North to keep me busy
    You and me both. I've been screwing around on the trial version since I can't quite afford the $50 to buy the game and expansions right now.

  2. #9802
    I am Murloc! Xuvial's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    5,036
    Quote Originally Posted by Requimortem View Post
    I agree with this wholeheartedly. That's primarily why I don't use a whole lot of addons or UI "enhancers". Why take away what little challenge is actually present in the game?
    I can anticipate things just fine, addons can't tell you what cooldown that Rogue is going to blow next - but addons CAN show me that the Rogue has roughly 1.6 seconds left on Cloak and I can start casting Polymorph so it lands right as Cloak ends. WoW is designed in a way where addons greatly enhance your experience and even the best of the best PvP/PvE'ers take advantage of them.

    Ask any competitive Arena PvP'er who played without Arena Frames (i.e. Proximo/Gladius) before Blizzard implemented their own frames. Ask DoT-based classes to play without buff/debuff timers.
    Ask any competitive healer (or raider for that matter) who didn't use Raid Frame addons, as a healer you would be called retarded if you didn't have Grid or Healbot before Blizzard implemented their own frames. You want your "challenge"? Try that.

    Running into constant frustrations and limitations with your own UI should never be part of the challenge.

    Back on topic, I can only hope that GW2 picks up on an efficient UI where many games have fallen short.
    Last edited by Xuvial; 2011-09-26 at 08:38 AM.

  3. #9803
    Quote Originally Posted by Xuvial View Post
    I can anticipate things just fine, addons can't tell you what cooldown that Rogue is going to blow next - but addons CAN show me that the Rogue has roughly 1.6 seconds left on Cloak and I can start casting Polymorph so it lands right as Cloak ends. WoW is designed in a way where addons greatly enhance your experience and even the best of the best PvP/PvE'ers take advantage of them.

    Granted, if I was 2800 rated and unbeatable then I would most likely disable everything to make things a challenge for me. Hell I would start playing WoW with a joystick because I was so bored from my awesome skill.

    But until I reach that level, I'm going to take all the help from my UI I can get. The game is designed in a way where addons are very helpful - they don't play the game for you (you make it sound that way), but they are extremely useful in PvP and PvE.

    Ask any competitive Arena PvP'er who played without Arena Frames (e.g. Gladius) before Blizzard implemented their own frames. Ask any competetive healer (or raider for that matter) who didn't use Raid Frame addons, as a healer you would be called retarded if you didn't have Grid or Healbot. How's that for a "challenge"?

    Back on topic, I can only hope that GW2 picks up on an efficient UI where many games have fallen short.
    I'm sorry but as Blznsmri said, those addons are just a crutch. There are plenty of other games where those aren't an option and players do just fine. The fact of the matter is, is that we've come to rely on them for everything but they're not necessary in the least bit. I'm not going to continue this though since I can already tell it's going to go downhill.

  4. #9804
    I am Murloc! Xuvial's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    5,036
    Quote Originally Posted by Requimortem View Post
    There are plenty of other games where those aren't an option and players do just fine.
    You answered it yourself, players do "fine" because nobody has the option of addons. Everyone's on a level playing field i.e. everyone's done struggling with their UI and simply have to put up with it or fail at the game.

    Meanwhile in WoW playing a healer without raid frames is also possible, people did it in vanilla before Healbot. It's just that you'll completely suck compared to a healer who DOES have raid frames (assuming both of you are equally skilled) because you had the option of addons and decided not to take it.

    If ArenaNet gets it right first time, the need for addons shouldn't even arise - addons/mods should be disabled completely. It's in their best interests to keep the playing field equal.
    Last edited by Xuvial; 2011-09-26 at 08:52 AM.

  5. #9805
    Quote Originally Posted by Xuvial View Post
    You answered it yourself, players do "fine" because nobody has the option of addons. Everyone's on a level playing field i.e. everyone's done struggling with their UI and simply have to put up with it or fail at the game.

    Meanwhile in WoW playing a healer without raid frames is also possible, people did it in vanilla before Healbot. It's just that you'll completely suck compared to a healer who DOES have raid frames (assuming both of you are equally skilled) because you had the option of addons and decided not to take it.

    If ArenaNet gets it right first time, the need for addons shouldn't even arise.
    I don't believe I ever asked a question.

    No. I know plenty of healers who don't use addons that tell who to heal and with what yet keep the entire raid alive. Just because you're not that good without them doesn't mean everyone else is too.

    The need for addons stems from people constantly wanting things to be handed to them instead of working for it, not from poor development choices (which I've yet to see, at least in World of Warcraft).

  6. #9806
    Quote Originally Posted by Requimortem View Post
    I'm sorry but as Blznsmri said, those addons are just a crutch. There are plenty of other games where those aren't an option and players do just fine. The fact of the matter is, is that we've come to rely on them for everything but they're not necessary in the least bit. I'm not going to continue this though since I can already tell it's going to go downhill.
    It depends on how the game is designed. WoW is designed with addons in mind and thus you can't anticipate things as well as you could in other games. So saying "there are plenty of other games" blablabla is not a qualitative argument here.
    - Hand: n., A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody's pocket. - Ambrose Bierce, The Devil's Dictionary

  7. #9807
    I am Murloc! Xuvial's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    5,036
    Quote Originally Posted by Requimortem View Post
    I don't believe I ever asked a question.

    No. I know plenty of healers who don't use addons that tell who to heal and with what yet keep the entire raid alive. Just because you're not that good without them doesn't mean everyone else is too.
    But that doesn't change the fact that enabling raid frames makes the job EASIER no matter what skill level you are at. The option of having addons means that people who use them will always be better-off with them, as compared to without them. The option is available. Lets try to remember that, alright?

  8. #9808
    Quote Originally Posted by GayGirlie View Post
    It depends on how the game is designed. WoW is designed with addons in mind and thus you can't anticipate things as well as you could in other games. So saying "there are plenty of other games" blablabla is not a qualitative argument here.
    I'm sorry but I don't consider that to be true for even a moment. World of Warcraft was fine as it was back when it was first released. For example, Deadly Boss Mods is a very popular addon that basically tells you everything the boss is going to do and when he/she/it is going to do it. However, this is something any player can figure out on their own if they actually paid attention to the fight.

    Quote Originally Posted by Xuvial View Post
    But that doesn't change the fact that enabling raid frames makes the job EASIER no matter what skill level you are at. The option of having addons means that people who use them will always be better-off with them compared to without them. The option is available. Lets try to remember that, alright?
    I can see this is upsetting you as I knew it would. Quite frankly, your crutch doesn't make you better off or more skilled than someone who refuses to use it. They can perform just as well as you if not better. The option is available but that doesn't mean anything and as far as I'm concerned, it's more hindering than helpful.

  9. #9809
    [QUOTE=Requimortem;13377484]I'm sorry but I don't consider that to be true for even a moment. World of Warcraft was fine as it was back when it was first released. For example, Deadly Boss Mods is a very popular addon that basically tells you everything the boss is going to do and when he/she/it is going to do it. This is something any player can figure out on their own if they actually paid attention to the fight.

    You clearly ain't raiding at HC level.
    - Hand: n., A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody's pocket. - Ambrose Bierce, The Devil's Dictionary

  10. #9810
    Quote Originally Posted by GayGirlie View Post
    You clearly ain't raiding at HC level.
    Oh, I'm so glad you could make that ignorant assumption. It really bolsters your argument.

  11. #9811
    Quote Originally Posted by Requimortem View Post
    Oh, I'm so glad you could make that ignorant assumption. It really bolsters your argument.
    *sigh* As if your arguments are any more convincing.

    Whatever, enjoy your time on your high horse. I won't bother continuing this here, this is a thread about GW2, not WoW.
    - Hand: n., A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody's pocket. - Ambrose Bierce, The Devil's Dictionary

  12. #9812
    Pit Lord Kaelwryn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Divinity's Reach
    Posts
    2,374
    alright, alright. No need to go after what each other is or is not doing. While I do agree that for a game like Guild Wars, addons aren't really all that important. Mostly and imo, it is because you're limited to a small selection of spells and they are either on relatively short cds, or the de/buff they provide is a short timed one. Also, I think a lot of the skills are more "simplistic" than some of WoWs.

    it also helps that GWs is made with the idea in mind that you don't need addons and more than likely won't have them. WoW is in a different field than GW and thus addons can and sometimes do make or break it for people. While you can get by without addons, you may not be performing at you max abilities.

  13. #9813
    Quote Originally Posted by GayGirlie View Post
    *sigh* As if your arguments are any more convincing.

    Whatever, enjoy your time on your high horse. I won't bother continuing this here, this is a thread about GW2, not WoW.
    Yes, they actually are. I'm sorry that you don't have a proper rebuttal but is that any reason to insult me?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kaelwryn View Post
    alright, alright. No need to go after what each other is or is not doing. While I do agree that for a game like Guild Wars, addons aren't really all that important. Mostly and imo, it is because you're limited to a small selection of spells and they are either on relatively short cds, or the de/buff they provide is a short timed one. Also, I think a lot of the skills are more "simplistic" than some of WoWs.

    it also helps that GWs is made with the idea in mind that you don't need addons and more than likely won't have them. WoW is in a different field than GW and thus addons can and sometimes do make or break it for people. While you can get by without addons, you may not be performing at you max abilities.
    Sorry to say but you're not actually contributing anything to this argument aside from what's already been said and rebuked.
    Last edited by Requimortem; 2011-09-26 at 09:22 AM.

  14. #9814
    Quote Originally Posted by Requimortem View Post
    I don't believe I ever asked a question.

    No. I know plenty of healers who don't use addons that tell who to heal and with what yet keep the entire raid alive. Just because you're not that good without them doesn't mean everyone else is too.

    The need for addons stems from people constantly wanting things to be handed to them instead of working for it, not from poor development choices (which I've yet to see, at least in World of Warcraft).
    The thing is, that alot of people hate the standard UI in wow and want to be able to change look, size and other stuff. I personally, when I still played wow, did not use the addons that "play" the game for you like DBM, healbot etc. But I did use TukUI since I loved the looks and the features it have. I love to be able to move things around to fit my playstyle and be able to track my own buffs/debuffs with bars instead of small spining icons that can be hard to track when there is a 8347 other debuffs on the boss frame.

  15. #9815
    Quote Originally Posted by Belial View Post
    The thing is, that alot of people hate the standard UI in wow and want to be able to change look, size and other stuff. I personally, when I still played wow, did not use the addons that "play" the game for you like DBM, healbot etc. But I did use TukUI since I loved the looks and the features it have. I love to be able to move things around to fit my playstyle and be able to track my own buffs/debuffs with bars instead of small spining icons that can be hard to track when there is a 8347 other debuffs on the boss frame.
    I've got nothing against custom UIs. In fact, I was actually asking about one before this petty argument started. I need to go browse Curse.com for a while since I doubt I'll be receiving an answer anytime soon... if ever.

  16. #9816
    Quote Originally Posted by Requimortem View Post
    I've got nothing against custom UIs. In fact, I was actually asking about one before this petty argument started. I need to go browse Curse.com for a while since I doubt I'll be receiving an answer anytime soon... if ever.
    oh.. my bad then. Is it a WoW UI you are looking for?

    If so, try take a look at TukUI.org if you don't already know it. imo it's an awsome UI.

  17. #9817
    Quote Originally Posted by Requimortem View Post
    I've got nothing against custom UIs. In fact, I was actually asking about one before this petty argument started. I need to go browse Curse.com for a while since I doubt I'll be receiving an answer anytime soon... if ever.
    How about you stop replying to these posts? It's obviously going nowhere, arguments have already started between members of the forum over this.

  18. #9818
    Quote Originally Posted by Belial View Post
    oh.. my bad then. Is it a WoW UI you are looking for?
    Yeah. I actually just found it surprisingly enough. It's called "LunarSphere" but unfortunately the person behind the addon is no longer updating it (last update was nearly a year ago). I'm still going to use it though, provided it's not broken when I load it up. I guess I'll also take this time to update my other mods and remove Auctionator. I started using it during the last patch or the one before that because I didn't feel like waiting for them to make Auctioneer compatible. Poor decision on my part.

    Quote Originally Posted by Pyre Fierceshot View Post
    How about you stop replying to these posts? It's obviously going nowhere, arguments have already started between members of the forum over this.
    How about you just not say anything? I think that's better than essentially continuing the thing you're "trying" to stop.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kaelwryn View Post
    Looking back at the last page, I see you asked no question and simply stated your opinion about using addons. So why not state the question again ?

    And last time I looked, all I needed was my own opinion to state to add to an argument.
    What? If there's no question how could I state it a second time?

    Except you added nothing to the argument. Nothing. You basically repeated what Xuvial said.
    Last edited by Requimortem; 2011-09-26 at 09:36 AM.

  19. #9819
    Pit Lord Kaelwryn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Divinity's Reach
    Posts
    2,374
    Quote Originally Posted by Requimortem View Post
    I've got nothing against custom UIs. In fact, I was actually asking about one before this petty argument started. I need to go browse Curse.com for a while since I doubt I'll be receiving an answer anytime soon... if ever.
    Looking back at the last page, I see you asked no question and simply stated your opinion about using addons. So why not state the question again ?

    And last time I looked, all I needed was my own opinion to state to add to an argument.

  20. #9820
    Quote Originally Posted by Requimortem View Post
    How about you just not say anything? I think that's better than essentially continuing the thing you're "trying" to stop.
    Take your own advice instead of been an asshole to everyone. I didn't even reply to you with anything insulting, yet you're trying to be the big man here.

    Now, stop continuing your rant, and move the hell off the subject all together.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •