Haha, now the thread is about the average run speed of humans, how did that happen?

Seriously though, mounts would be fine for showing off, but it's nice not having one in a game for once. Assuming that's what you talked about, obviously.

Quote Originally Posted by Swiftero View Post
    Haha, now the thread is about the average run speed of humans, how did that happen?

Seriously though, mounts would be fine for showing off, but it's nice not having one in a game for once. Assuming that's what you talked about, obviously.
    Smrund said that the average human running speed is 15mph and he was just too wrong for me to leave it alone.
    Quote Originally Posted by SW:TOR
    Jokerseven - Kinetic Combat Shadow - Praxeum - Canderous Ordo
    Ce'lia - Combat Sentinel - Praxeum - Canderous Ordo
    Sentinel PVE Basics for the two Specs that matter

Quote Originally Posted by Bloodhunter View Post
    They said the demo at Paris is the same at ComicCon and Gamescom.. nothing new.
    Doesn't mean they can't announce anything new just because the demo is the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Blznsmri View Post
    Smrund said that the average human running speed is 15mph and he was just too wrong for me to leave it alone.
    It's an average. I grabbed it off of Wiki if you'd like to go tell them they're wrong by all means.

My point still stands, the animals used for mounts move faster than people. A mount should provide about double run-speed movement.
    Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    People in cars cause accidents. Accidents in cars cause people.
    Sometimes life gives you lemons, other times life gives you boobies. Life is always better with more boobies.
    The most accurate history of the USSR ever.
    And thus I give you: MALE contraception!

I disagree with mounts. The idea of them is okay, really, but actual implementation is where it gets shaky. Any race except humans would absolutely ridiculous riding a horse (which is why race mounts were implemented in WoW, no?), but what would the Norn possibly ride? Is that a part of their nature? What about the Sylvari? Would they ride plant horses? I think that's a bit of a stretch. And then there's the Charr. It's obviously unnecessary for the Charr to have mounts, if they had some sort of passive where they just ran faster, but when you think about practicality and how the game will play, it just doesn't seem right.

Mounts for Guild Wars 2 just doesn't seem right. I believe that they do not achieve what the developers are going for; that is, an immersive story where exploration and adventure are encouraged. You may say, "Mounts make exploring easier, and riding across an epic desert on a sweet horse would be just awesome!" I would have to agree with you there, however, how would they implement, say, the actual mounting process? Would you pound your fist a couple times and Poof! you're on your way? And would the horse/golem/giant lizard thing just disappear as soon as you engaged in combat? If so, is that really immersive?

It just does not work. Perhaps for another game, but not Guild Wars 2.

Quote Originally Posted by Koshun View Post
    I disagree with mounts. The idea of them is okay, really, but actual implementation is where it gets shaky. Any race except humans would absolutely ridiculous riding a horse (which is why race mounts were implemented in WoW, no?), but what would the Norn possibly ride? Is that a part of their nature? What about the Sylvari? Would they ride plant horses? I think that's a bit of a stretch. And then there's the Charr. It's obviously unnecessary for the Charr to have mounts, if they had some sort of passive where they just ran faster, but when you think about practicality and how the game will play, it just doesn't seem right.

Mounts for Guild Wars 2 just doesn't seem right. I believe that they do not achieve what the developers are going for; that is, an immersive story where exploration and adventure are encouraged. You may say, "Mounts make exploring easier, and riding across an epic desert on a sweet horse would be just awesome!" I would have to agree with you there, however, how would they implement, say, the actual mounting process? Would you pound your fist a couple times and Poof! you're on your way? And would the horse/golem/giant lizard thing just disappear as soon as you engaged in combat? If so, is that really immersive?

It just does not work. Perhaps for another game, but not Guild Wars 2.
    Truthfully I think you're wrong about it not working. While out of all the races I think Sylvari would be the hardest to come up with a "racial" mount for, the other races have something that will work for them atleast I think so.

More importantly it is up to ANet to decided whether or not mounts work within Guild Wars. So far, they have (understandably) no reason to have them at launch. Maybe once GW2 comes out, I'll side with those saying mounts aren't needed. But until the game is released and I can play it, I would like to have mounts if only for the ascetics.
    To the Sky

Quote Originally Posted by Kaelwryn View Post
    Truthfully I think you're wrong about it not working. While out of all the races I think Sylvari would be the hardest to come up with a "racial" mount for, the other races have something that will work for them atleast I think so.

More importantly it is up to ANet to decided whether or not mounts work within Guild Wars. So far, they have (understandably) no reason to have them at launch. Maybe once GW2 comes out, I'll side with those saying mounts aren't needed. But until the game is released and I can play it, I would like to have mounts if only for the ascetics.
    I don't mean to say that ANet cannot come up with racial mounts, I just don't think it's what they're shooting for with this game. Plus, I'd rather have the artists and creative directors come up with cool ideas for other things instead, you know?

As much as I'd like mounts to be in the game as a prestige item, it's a pretty big deal that they have absolutely no base in the lore of the playable races as it stands now.

Mounts are pretty easy to come up with, but I agree, implementation is where things get shaky.

Human: Actually, IDK, there are no horses...
    Norn: Shapeshift
    Sylvari: Those planty wolf things
    Charr: Something they created - Tanks, cars, ect
    Asura: Golems

Quote Originally Posted by Miggetmagic View Post
    Human: Actually, IDK, there are no horses...
    No horses, only dolyak's.

Norn: Shapeshift
    Shapeshifts are combat forms.

Sylvari: Those planty wolf things
    Planty wolf things? Druids? Those are like Kurzick Juggernauts.

Charr: Something they created - Tanks, cars, ect
    Possible but not plausible.

Asura: Golems
    Golems are for combat and heavy lifting.

Golems are for combat and heavy lifting.
    And for squishing Charr!

My SWTOR guild: www.radguild.com
    USA West Coast PvP server: The Bastion
    Get your Game of Thrones on at Winteriscoming.net

Quote Originally Posted by Trollsbane View Post
    And for squishing Charr!
    That falls under combat.

That falls under combat.
    I think it should be a sport.

Quote Originally Posted by Trollsbane View Post
    I think it should be a sport.
    The only sport worth participating in is the bi-monthly Charr Hunts sponsored by the Lion's Arch Game Commission.

The only sport worth participating in is the bi-monthly Charr Hunts sponsored by the Lion's Arch Game Commission.
    Sign me up!

/hoping for something new to be said at Paris week. =)

Nay saying.
    Stop being such a nay sayer damn you!
    To the Sky

Quote Originally Posted by Kaelwryn View Post
    Stop being such a nay sayer damn you!
    Nay-sayers gonna Nay-say.

Quote Originally Posted by degonite View Post
    Doesn't mean they can't announce anything new just because the demo is the same.
    If that's what you want to believe, sure go ahead. Don't get your hopes up.

Tomoko Eternal Life, Kilik Eternal Sun, Eira Frozen Hearted, Ashara Emberlight,
    Vuug The Deceiver, Grash Gravebuilder, Asgaut Divine Soul, Lera Dreamstealer

Not getting my hopes for anything besides more gameplay and maybe some more info on things they already announced/interviews. However if they announce something new that would be great it will be the best place to do it since its the last place they are going to be and everything will be leaked when beta comes out at the end of the year so why not announce a few new things =P

1) No horses, only dolyak's.
    2) Shapeshifts are combat forms.
    3) Planty wolf things? Druids? Those are like Kurzick Juggernauts.
    4) Possible but not plausible.
    5) Golems are for combat and heavy lifting.
    1&2) I agree with. Although I'm sure the Norn could have something big to hold them, just not sure what.

3) Well, there are Charr vehicles in game already, just not sure if we can drive them. See: http://youtu.be/kJlf3eGypPQ?t=1m15s

4) And as for the wolf plant thingy, they're already a pet: http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Thorn_Mastiff and Sylvari can choose it in their Character Creation.

5) I'm sure the Asurans can come up with a Golem-styled motorcycle!
    Last edited by Mighty Blue Bear; 2011-10-21 at 08:59 AM.