10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Squirrelbanes View Post
    Yeah, I was very nicely surprised when I saw this about GW1. Would be awesome if the same could be true of GW2.
    It does say that you should still be able to play though. Keep trying!
    I don't think we will have such luck in GW2, just because of how massive GW2 is and how much more can possibly go wrong in a consistent world as opposed to the instanced game GW1 is. One can hope though.
    "Questions are for those seeking answers. Those who have answers are those who have asked questions." -Mike R. (Malthurius)

Quote Originally Posted by Malthurius View Post
    I don't think we will have such luck in GW2, just because of how massive GW2 is and how much more can possibly go wrong in a consistent world as opposed to the instanced game GW1 is. One can hope though.
    Yeah was thinking the same...always nice to hope though.
    It's very hard to do maintenance on a live, persistent world, if at all possible. I'm tempted to jump on the fanboy hype train though and say if anyone can Anet can...but I won't go there

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Maarius View Post
    tried to log in to GW and it wasn't working, so I googled a bit and found out that there is a server-maintenance today (4 hours). What's so special about this: this is very rare for GW and only happend a handful times since 2005. Impressive.

http://guildwars.incgamers.com/blog/...-no-down-times

It looks like GW2 has a very similar patch-technology, so we should get a very "down-time-free gaming"
    I've actually only seen the servers down once or twice while playing, and I started at or near release date.
    Once was when there was a bug allowing players to buy every material for 250 gold, including rune of superior absorption, which was 100 plat back then. There was a server rollback.

GW1 players were indeed very lucky with very few server downtime. Let's hope they can indeed keep this up, should show other companies how it's done
    Monk, I need a monk!!!

I have to get this off my chest.

About 15 minutes ago, I bought a game.
    Someone I know works at the store and we spoke for a while, I asked him if I could specially pre-order Guild Wars 2 Collectors Edition way ahead of anyone.
    As expected I couldn't, but no worries it will be fine when the time comes.
    So we talked a bit about Guild Wars 2, until he told me he has a Press Beta Key.
    Never before did I want to kill a man for something.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloodhunter View Post

Someone I know works at the store and we spoke for a while, I asked him if I could specially pre-order Guild Wars 2 Collectors Edition way ahead of anyone.
    So we talked a bit about Guild Wars 2, until he told me he has a Press Beta Key.
    KILL! KILL! and take that beta key!

10+ Year Old Account

Give me his address so I can send tainted cookies >:(

15+ Year Old Account

I know someone who was the friends and family beta I think? Yah I was like you...bastard.

Deleted
    Do it... Nobody will never know...

I too will suggest you kill this individual and take his key. We won't tell a soul... as long as you share beta infoz with us in PMs. >:]

Deleted

I think you should give him some of Mifs cookies like Mif said, much more harmless Gief beta key!!

I know someone who's on the Test Krewe. I am g u t t e d.
    Because...they know! And I don't. And I can think of so many things I want to ask. And they'd be like, soz bro, can't. And I'd be all like, grrr.
    This makes me sad.

I was thinking of buying guild wars and eye of the north, what games would you suggest? Prophecies, factions, or nightfall? I was thinking of getting night fall and eye of the north. I was just curious to see what people liked more about the other ones.

Well...I've not played factions yet but it's generally most people's least favourite. I've done a good portion of prophecies, all of EoTN and am about half way through nightfall. Really liking nightfall so far.
    Nightfall = deserty with a Nubian kind of feel.
    EoTN = snowy mountainy, introduces you to other races we'll see in GW2 and opens HoM.

I'd say...if ur gonna get it...just get them all...there's not a big difference in price between 2/4 and 4/4.

Somewhat off-topic, but it is related to GW2 and this forum- but I find that thread about the "trinity class system" really fascinating. Perhaps I am merely old, but it seems to be a total disconnect between 1999->World of Warcraft in many gamers. The degree of myopic posts are really interesting. Esp. in light of another MMO-C thread where someone was trying to figure out why Ocarina of Time was well regarded.

Hm, it might be that I am old. But I also think the nature of video games as a medium doesn't really inspire a lot of past-tense investigation.

There is a lot more "old school" in GW2 than new. I wonder how much of an uphill battle Anet have in selling repacked ideas of the genre to a generation which seemingly began playing video games in the early 00's.

Idle thought. Interesting to me nonetheless. Had to muse about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Somewhat off-topic, but it is related to GW2 and this forum- but I find that thread about the "trinity class system" really fascinating. Perhaps I am merely old, but it seems to be a total disconnect between 1999->World of Warcraft in many gamers. The degree of myopic posts are really interesting. Esp. in light of another MMO-C thread where someone was trying to figure out why Ocarina of Time was well regarded.

Hm, it might be that I am old. But I also think the nature of video games as a medium doesn't really inspire a lot of past-tense investigation.

There is a lot more "old school" in GW2 than new. I wonder how much of an uphill battle Anet have in selling repacked ideas of the genre to a generation which seemingly began playing video games in the early 00's.

Idle thought. Interesting to me nonetheless. Had to muse about it.
    I concur. Having been an avid gamer since pong was released, I find the attitude of many people in that thread both illogical and saddening. I mean, one post recently said that the trinity system was developed because the game mechanics necessitated it.
    Did the game boss put a gun to the developers head and tell them to have a healer, tank and dps? Madness. It's purely a development choice.

I thought the inability to think in past-tense terms was related to the technological basis of computer games; more advanced games equals better games in many younger gamers eyes I suppose. As you say though, it's also down to the myopic attitude of the one "investigating." Personally, I love many of the features of older games. It's not even that they're quaint or nostalgic. I enjoy the dynamics of them.

But I don't have too many concerns about people being able to grasp the old school elements of GW2, mostly because, for those to whom it would be a concern, the graphics and combat should hold their attention until they realise how great the game is overall. It's my hope at least.

But I don't have too many concerns about people being able to grasp the old school elements of GW2, mostly because, for those to whom it would be a concern, the graphics and combat should hold their attention until they realise how great the game is overall. It's my hope at least.
    Yea, I was thinking about this too. We see people post saying, "how can blahblah feature work???" all the time around here. Pretty fair questions for the most part. Though often these threads have a sense of confusion more so than curiosity about them in the asking. Does that make sense?

Somewhat similar to the notion GW2 is free to play. I understand why many would come to this false notion. And I can even understand the impulse to place GW2 under that umbrella as a catch-all of sorts. For good or ill, that F2P term is loaded with a heap of preconceptions in many gamers minds.

What struck me was this bit of a post in particular. To wit~

Quote Originally Posted by Zka View Post
    A new MMO can do 2 big mistakes: 1) clone WoW 2) make everything different than WoW - just to be "LOOK AT ME I'M NOT WOW!!". I don't know if GW2 is the latter or it's genuinely something new.
    The above poster may have been mistaken in some regards. But in the quoted bit above, I think he is kinda right. Those are 2 common pitfalls of MMOs in the post-WoW market.

So I guess it's mostly a bit of self reflection/wonderment on my part here. Partly bad rambling too.

It's super interesting to watch how GW2 will play out come release.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Does that make sense?
    Yes, and it's also saddening when it's antagonistic confusion.
    Would be wonderful if more came in and said...hi, I'm unsure about this feature could you explain it for me? Some do, which is nice and refreshing. Many spout confused lashings that get rebuffed and things escalate, aka notorious how can people not be excited about GW2 thread.
    GW2 has many "unusual" features for many gamers, and it's natural for people to be somewhat confused about them.

With Zka's point, yes he's completely right. We all remember Rift's advertising slogan, and while it is a successful game I'm not sure whether that move was beneficial or damaging to them.
    Many of these posters who come in make entirely valid points about their concerns, mixed in with some general misconceptions.

And yeah, also I think Anet have been very clever in not stating that they are competing with anyone. They do state things like, "other mmo features," and ofc their manifesto is all about what they're doing differently, but they never come right out and say it.
    In that sense what Zka said can't be applied to GW2, because it's not directly saying it's not wow. It's doing it's own thing about how it thinks games should be designed. Much as it apparently did with GW1.
    The B2P model is also, as Mif says below and I don't want to make a new post to say, very adept. Players often fume at games who would try to say we;re giving you everything you don't currently have! Except that you pay the same for it. B2P will attract many many people I think.

And I'm quite interested about watching how people react when GW2 actually comes out, from a psychological point of view. Will there be an exodus from wow, how will it affect people, will the community be the same in GW2, will it meet people's expectations, will it be a melting pot, if so will that be lots of antagonist groups or people interacting civilly together. Lots of questions.
    Anyway...gosh but now I'm rambling way too much lol.
    Last edited by Squirrelbanes; 2012-02-08 at 08:42 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think the B2P model has an advantage in attracting Wow players because it's less confronting. People feel there's no "it's one or the other", they can play both and they don't feel like they're betraying their beloved game (or abandoning their in game friends). This is in contrast to other new MMO's that tend to attract people that are pissed off with Wow, which makes any moderate Wow player feel like they're joining "the other side".

10+ Year Old Account
    Not sure if this has been linked yet, (or where to put it exactly, so please move if not right ) it's a fan based Trailer Video , pretty damn good imo

Quote Originally Posted by Mif View Post
    I think the B2P model has an advantage in attracting Wow players because it's less confronting. People feel there's no "it's one or the other", they can play both and they don't feel like they're betraying their beloved game (or abandoning their in game friends). This is in contrast to other new MMO's that tend to attract people that are pissed off with Wow, which makes any moderate Wow player feel like they're joining "the other side".
    Yea, it's a kind of MMO nationalism isn't it?