Quote Originally Posted by nalvaudi View Post
    Hope you're good at linear algebra.... that's all i'll say.
    Linear algebra? Why so? ..Or maybe I understand something different under "graphic design" term?

I've heard that before, I hear you have to like or at least be good at Calculus. Eeek!

Linear Algebra not very important for Graphics Designers, but for Graphics Programmers it's a whole other story.

Quote Originally Posted by ManiaCCC View Post
    Don't worry..you just have to prove yourself .. You can be freelancer just creating awesome stuff and these companies will find you But it's just about time to start creating something. You know..you don't need university to actually learn something about that stuff.
    Always say... if you're going to go anywhere with it.. you would be going there now.

Don't wait for educational institutes, start creating now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lugo Moll View Post
    Consider this philosophical question: If Blizz fails, but noone is there to see it. Will there still be QQ?

Quote Originally Posted by Sackman View Post
    Always say... if you're going to go anywhere with it.. you would be going there now.

A good word of encouragement, thank you, perhaps I should be doing more with it than sitting around waiting to be taught.

I can't confirm this enough, no matter whether you want to do art or programming. Do something on your own.

Quote Originally Posted by Digglett View Post
    I've heard that before, I hear you have to like or at least be good at Calculus. Eeek!
    Calculus is pretty easy once you have your teeth in and are doing it regularly. So I wouldn't worry about that. Grab a book on algebra, start learning how to do equations, particularly balancing them out. Factorisation etc And learn how to sketch quadratic graphs so that you can visualise equations in your mind.

Sorted.
    Consider this philosophical question: If Blizz fails, but noone is there to see it. Will there still be QQ?

Quote Originally Posted by ZyngaFail View Post
    Linear Algebra not very important for Graphics Designers, but for Graphics Programmers it's a whole other story.
    If there was one thing I wish Computer Programmers would learn, it would to be the knowledge that your keyboard has an "Enter/Carriage Return" key, as well as a "Tab" Key. They are both magical items that will clean up your code so much, that I won't have to beat my Tech Contractors with a rotary telephone every time they redesign my website but give me shitty code.

They think they can get away with it because I work in retail, not knowing that I have quite a bit of background in coding, and know when their CSS is utter rubbish. I only pay people to do it because I don't have the time to do it myself.

Anyways: On topic: I'm beginning to think that Rumble from League of Legends is a direct ripoff of Asura's and their golems.

A good word of encouragement, thank you, perhaps I should be doing more with it than sitting around waiting to be taught.
    I had a friend (online) who was at SCAD in the US. He wasn't particularly skilled in my eyes (although I would never say this ofc - he knew how to do things but his work never stood out as excellent), but he did a lot of work in his free time, was part of mod groups as a modeller/skinner etc.

I suggest doing that. www.moddb.com I think there are many mod teams there and they often recruit through there (although I havent been to the site in a long time so can't remember completely).

I suggest doing that. www.moddb.com I think there are many mod teams there and they often recruit through there (although I havent been to the site in a long time so can't remember completely).
    While I agree with this, I have met a surprising number of enterprising young graphic designers that seem to be under the impression that doing "Nudity Mods" for games as well as "Breast Enhancement Mods" for games constitute initiative and creativity for their first job.

Quote Originally Posted by gotpriest View Post
    If there was one thing I wish Computer Programmers would learn, it would to be the knowledge that your keyboard has an "Enter/Carriage Return" key, as well as a "Tab" Key. They are both magical items that will clean up your code so much, that I won't have to beat my Tech Contractors with a rotary telephone every time they redesign my website but give me shitty code.

They think they can get away with it because I work in retail, not knowing that I have quite a bit of background in coding, and know when their CSS is utter rubbish. I only pay people to do it because I don't have the time to do it myself.

Anyways: On topic: I'm beginning to think that Rumble from League of Legends is a direct ripoff of Asura's and their golems.
    Don't even get me started on the importance of clean code. Dear God, .... if anything in this world makes me nerdrage it's opening up someone elses code and seeing single letter variable names. I could murder baby seals and dolphins.

As for needing to know linear algebra. If you want to do concept art sure no need to know it. If you want to design armor models for games or something like that. You darn well better know your 3d vectors like you know how to spell your name.

Since I was a kid I always did structured coding, with comments (without zealotry). And I tell everyone I meet who is coding/programming or even just writing a lib, to do it lol

As for needing to know linear algebra. If you want to do concept art sure no need to know it. If you want to design armor models for games or something like that. You darn well better know your 3d vectors like you know how to spell your name.
    Character modeling, the like, basically what I want to get into. Something about creating a whole world that makes me giddy, I'm willing to drill Algebra into my brain until I know it like the back of my hand to be able to do that for a living. :P

While I agree with this, I have met a surprising number of enterprising young graphic designers that seem to be under the impression that doing "Nudity Mods" for games as well as "Breast Enhancement Mods" for games constitute initiative and creativity for their first job.
    lmao

Yeah I can't imagine that being a worthwhile piece of experience. "I have seen and am able to recreate a clothless human in a variety of motif's".

But there are many thigns you know, a lot of them want concept art which is great, skinning work, modelling work, level design etc.

Everything is there for them to get started on.

Character modeling, the like, basically what I want to get into. Something about creating a whole world that makes me giddy, I'm willing to drill Algebra into my brain until I know it like the back of my hand to be able to do that for a living. :P
    Ya, if there's one group of game designers I have respect for, it isn't the developers, or the designers. It's the tool makers. The people who make the engines. That coding is intense. Programming for any and every contingency, the math, everything.

I enjoy level design, brilliant fun. Always enjoyed the thought of creating a world for others to experience and sharing with others. Did lots of level design during UT99's hayday. And have used source and ce2 aswell although I don't have the passion to do anything with it.

Deleted
    Tried Rift, kinda claustrophobic game,also realms feel kinda empty.Hope GW2 doesnt start same way:P

I'm assuming modding is a good place to start, yes?

By that, I don't mean increasing character breast size, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Benszg View Post
    Tried Rift, kinda claustrophobic game,also realms feel kinda empty.Hope GW2 doesnt start same way:P
    If it makes you feel any better, the best comparison is that the designers of Rift are the indie kids who graduated from State Schools.

The designers of GW2 are like Bruce Wayne. Tough start, but well funded and enjoy kicking other people's asses without discretion or discrimination.

Quote Originally Posted by Benszg View Post
    Tried it as well, though it was a decent game, it just didn't feel like it was worth the costs for me (50$, and monthly fee).