1. #1821
    Brewmaster HazardYo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Awesometopolis
    Posts
    1,398
    Is it just me or is the Engineer pretty damn... AWESOME?
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Discipline priests we heard you like shields that heal, so we put shield in your shield so you can heal while you heal.
    For the first half of geological time our ancestors were bacteria. Most creatures still are bacteria, and each one of our trillions of cells is a colony of bacteria.
    Richard Dawkins

  2. #1822
    Quote Originally Posted by HazardYo View Post
    Is it just me or is the Engineer pretty damn... AWESOME?
    Aye, it reminds me a lot of Warhammers engineer and that was my favorite class in that game.

  3. #1823
    Immortal Maklor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    7,643
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrowstorm View Post
    You make me sad, Im just trying to gather information about a game before I dare set my foot in the beta (whenever that comes).
    Ok, don't expect a real beta though they usually don't do those.

  4. #1824
    Over 9000! Arrowstormen's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Copenhagen
    Posts
    9,986
    Quote Originally Posted by HazardYo View Post
    Is it just me or is the Engineer pretty damn... AWESOME?
    Everybody got their own unique opinion, myself don't like it very much. But, I am Ranger biased, me likez petz!

    ---------- Post added 2011-05-25 at 05:19 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Maklor View Post
    Ok, don't expect a real beta though they usually don't do those.
    When you say "real", I assume it means "it won't be open for people".
    Awww.
    Belief can become reality!

  5. #1825
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrowstorm View Post
    But, I am Ranger biased, me likez petz!
    :-D you and me both ... although theif looks pretty awesome with their shortbow skills.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flyingmoney View Post
    Don't you know the meaning of life?
    Get born.
    Play WoW.
    Snort crack.
    Fuck bitches.
    Die.

  6. #1826
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrowstorm View Post
    When you say "real", I assume it means "it won't be open for people".
    Awww.
    No they will have an open beta, it will just be pretty much striagth before release as more an advertising thing than anything else. The open beta will be the release pretty much.

  7. #1827
    Quote Originally Posted by HazardYo View Post
    Is it just me or is the Engineer pretty damn... AWESOME?
    By FAR! the best class out so far.

  8. #1828
    Quote Originally Posted by YTOfficer01 View Post
    By FAR! the best class out so far.
    why do you think so

  9. #1829
    Quote Originally Posted by digitalize View Post
    why do you think so
    You only need one reason .... jump shot. lol
    Quote Originally Posted by Flyingmoney View Post
    Don't you know the meaning of life?
    Get born.
    Play WoW.
    Snort crack.
    Fuck bitches.
    Die.

  10. #1830
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrowstorm View Post
    Raaaaage.
    Sooo, Support = protective + healing spellz, and Control = stuff that helps you take da damage of da creatures?
    Kindasorta.

    Without a dedicated agro system, the game's going to be a lot more like d&d. (Which, by the way, I really like - I've always wondered why Arthas didn't just ignore the tanks and smack our healers first thing.) Ideally, monsters will have an advanced enough AI to make a tactical decision along the lines of "what is my best option right now?". It won't be as good as a player, obviously, because humans think two or three steps ahead (at least).

    In that kind of a world, each player is more responsible for their own survival, which is what necessitates each character being a hybrid of all (or at least two) roles. With more than one (or even a handful, in large groups) player being the target of all the monsters, damage becomes underwhelming; the ability to help your allies out becomes very powerful, as does the ability to hinder your enemies, because these have to take the place of a dedicated tank in providing for the survival of the group. However, a character that doesn't bring any damage hinders himself and his group by elongating combat, which stresses resources (WoW players know this as "oh crap out of innervates and everyone's going oom what do we do").

    In the most basic terms, "support" is a catch-all term for "helps out your allies". "Control" is a catch-all term for "makes life harder for your foes". Skills can and will be mixes of the two - not every attack skill is going to be Power Attack, because that would make physical characters underpowered. You're going to have things like Bull's Strike, which will knock things down in addition to dealing damage - that's damage and control combined. Orison of Healing would be a support skill; Weapon of Shadow (buffs an ally to blind foes on hit) would be both support and control. Blinding Flash would be pure control. Lastly, damage and support would be covered by something like Vengeful Weapon (which enchants an ally to steal health from his attacker the next time he's hit). I predict ANet will have to be careful around support, control, and support + control skills, because as GW showed, having too much of either (or even too much of both) makes it so you can essentially ignore your defenses and pile on the offense (which has already been brought up to compensate for its previously limited value).

    If you've played GW PvP before (and, y'know, gotten to know the terminology and strategies and such), it may help you to think of support and control as defensive and offensive utility, respectively. Naturally, this means that some skills fulfill both roles. Crippling Shot is the most classic example in GW - you can use it offensively to stop a critical target from escaping, or you can use it defensively to stop a melee unit attacking your ally.

    Also, high health and high armor on non-tank characters is still useful. It adds a tactical element to combat - you want things to hit your Guardian and not your Elementalist, but you need to figure out how to make that happen. Combined with all of the above, combat looks like it'll unfold to favor balanced groups of melee and casters, where the melee provide the damage and control to keep the foes' attention and casters provide the support to keep the melee alive, plus damage and control to make combat easier on the whole team.
    Last edited by Armond; 2011-05-25 at 04:50 PM.

  11. #1831
    Over 9000! Arrowstormen's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Copenhagen
    Posts
    9,986
    @Armond@

    Thumbs up for awesome post!
    Belief can become reality!

  12. #1832
    Banned smrund's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    In the state of Denial.
    Posts
    15,457
    Quote Originally Posted by Armond View Post
    Kindasorta.

    Without a dedicated agro system, the game's going to be a lot more like d&d.
    I never really realized it, but that's pretty true, and I certainly hope this to be the case. It's been a long time since any game, even those made by Wizards has truly embodied D&D.

  13. #1833
    Mechagnome Ricen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Graveyard
    Posts
    659
    What stage is this game in? Alpha?

    When a wild forum troll appears

  14. #1834
    Quote Originally Posted by Ricen View Post
    What stage is this game in? Alpha?
    Yup.
    /10char.

  15. #1835
    Bloodsail Admiral Sileh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    K-ON!!
    Posts
    1,048
    Pre-alpha actually

  16. #1836
    Just out of curiosity, is there a site, or perhaps someone here, that can clarify what some of the GW2 stats actually do? I read these signets and skills that give passive power, precision, fury, and might, but I'm really in the dark as to what most of them do.

  17. #1837
    Quote Originally Posted by Underskilled View Post
    Just out of curiosity, is there a site, or perhaps someone here, that can clarify what some of the GW2 stats actually do? I read these signets and skills that give passive power, precision, fury, and might, but I'm really in the dark as to what most of them do.
    http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Main_Page

    For all your GW2 needs.

    For what your after. http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Attributes

  18. #1838
    Quote Originally Posted by Underskilled View Post
    Just out of curiosity, is there a site, or perhaps someone here, that can clarify what some of the GW2 stats actually do? I read these signets and skills that give passive power, precision, fury, and might, but I'm really in the dark as to what most of them do.
    First post on this page, click the HERE link. it's the wiki and explains all the stats.

    EDIT: Or the links that have been posted above this post.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flyingmoney View Post
    Don't you know the meaning of life?
    Get born.
    Play WoW.
    Snort crack.
    Fuck bitches.
    Die.

  19. #1839
    Thanks for the link, does clear up some questions, however the wiki does not explain what "Might" and "Fury" do, I suppose information on those two just haven't became available yet?

  20. #1840
    Quote Originally Posted by Underskilled View Post
    Thanks for the link, does clear up some questions, however the wiki does not explain what "Might" and "Fury" do, I suppose information on those two just haven't became available yet?
    Learn to search!

    Fury

    Might

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •