Quote Originally Posted by Snowy View Post
    That was not tanking, that was a farming build. It required to constantly be hit to maintain the costs of the abilities. That meant that you had to solo rather than play with a group. Though there were some duo builds, the other person had to stay back so as to not be attacked. Also, the more creatures hitting you per second, the more healing that was required so you could be killed from pure damage.

Interrupts, knock-downs, enchantment removals, or armor ignoring damage would kill anyone going 55 rather quickly.
    a tank for is a person/class/spec who is soaking the damage.
    yes it was a spec used for farming for gold but that doesn't mean you wern't actually tanking stuff

that being said it was a build that made elementalist being able to tank in a few cases ^^
    Quote Originally Posted by laserguns View Post
    But do they have data showing how much fun players are having? Because surely that's what counts. You could have a game where only 1% of players can do the top raid but still everybody's having fun, and you could have a game where 100% of the players see everything but they're all bored and whining and quitting. Fun can't be quantified with straight-up data, and trying to use statistics to measure fun is a dangerous logical minefield.
    "The Perfect Raid Design Drawn by me .

Anyone from EU want to run through the Factions/Nightfall campains?

Quote Originally Posted by Pyre Fierceshot View Post
    Please don't try convince Tackhisis that the game will work without tanks etc, I'd rather not have his stupid kind in GW2.
    supposedly tackhisis is a girl. So I'd rather not have her whiny presence clogging up the GW2 game or forums. "But I want to be the tank!! you can't play the game without a tank!! boo hoo sob sob."

Personally the idea of having no tanks I find brilliant. Logically it makes much more sense this way and anyone who does pvp would understand this. I don't go hitting on a tank class when I see the squishy healer close by healing him. I CC the tank and switch targets. All you do is not allow the boss to have one shot abilities and it becomes a much more interesting fight sharing aggro.

GW2 just keeps on sounding better and better.

Quote Originally Posted by Chrno View Post
    a tank for is a person/class/spec who is soaking the damage.
    yes it was a spec used for farming for gold but that doesn't mean you wern't actually tanking stuff

that being said it was a build that made elementalist being able to tank in a few cases ^^
    Then by that definition, healers are also tanks. After all, they can soak up damage while healing themselves back up.

I already pre-ordered the game :P

Thanks Pjammiez for the signature!

Kinda doubth its gonna be any good in the end since areanet doesnt release any new content often from what i remember from 3-4 years ago when i played the crap.
    Basicly no monthly fee = barely any new content until an expansion hits ages down the line after the game have gone stale.

Quote Originally Posted by m3x View Post
    Kinda doubth its gonna be any good in the end since areanet doesnt release any new content often from what i remember from 3-4 years ago when i played the crap.
    Basicly no monthly fee = barely any new content until an expansion hits ages down the line after the game have gone stale.
    Prime example of WoW minded player. Blizzard themselves have said they don't need a monthly fee to run the game the same as what they have been doing. Anet gives new content without the expansions, which are only about a year apart each time.

No monthly fee does not equal no content.

WoW patches are coming out very very very slowly (we had 9 months of ICC and now we've got 6 months of the same content and still no major content patch).

Guild Wars: Prophecies was released on April 28, 2005. They released, for free, Sorrow's Furnace on September 07, 2005. That is less than 5 months for a large update. A little more than 7 months later Guild Wars: Factions came out on April 28, 2006 with Guild Wars: Nightfall being October 27, 2006 which is 6 months later. Hard mode came out April 19, 2007. Because of the decision to make Guild Wars 2, the next campaign was canceled and they made an actual expansion which came out August 31, 2007. During all of that time, there were multiple monthly updates.

So then, are you saying a monthly fee is needed to get regular content updates? Lets use WoW: Cataclysm since it is well known. (This isn't a WoW vs GW, it's about the monthly fee statement claiming that a monthly fee is needed for regular content updates) Basically $15 dollars a month for just shy of 5 months to get 4.1 which has very little content in it and no new raid tier. So that means you spent just shy of $75 for the little bit of content 4.1. That is a lot of time and money for a small content update that the monthly fee gave you.

--> So no, a no monthly fee does not mean that there is barely any new content updates. ArenaNet showed that a no monthly fee won't interfere with content updates. What does interfere with content updates is when the majority of the staff go to make another game while leaving about 5 people or so to run the previous one. Those handful of people still update it monthly and add new content every couple of months.

Again, the above is NOT a WoW vs GW but rather a debate on if a monthly fee is needed for regular content updates or not.
    Last edited by Snowy; 2011-04-28 at 12:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tackhisis View Post
    And you wasting your time preaching that something will work omitting a little detail, how it would work.

Just put yourself in boss' cockpit and compare how would you act and what AI does, and realise why the tanks are always needed.

On unrelated note, Tackhisis is usually considered to be her.
    However, it is supposed to be spelled Takhisis.

On topic, tanks are NOT needed in a MMO. As stated before, why would a super smart monster or person completely ignore the caster in the back keeping everyone healed up? The fact that they DO ignore said players in any MMO is stupid. Bosses should be beating on everyone equally, and ALL players should be helping to keep everyone alive and not taking a ton of dmg.

That will make encounters more complex, well thought out, better planned, and more fun.
    We are WARRIORS man! If we can't make it bleed, we will sure as hell dent the f%^ck out of it!

Quote Originally Posted by Snowy View Post
    Then by that definition, healers are also tanks. After all, they can soak up damage while healing themselves back up.
    Alesia agrees with you.

Kinda doubth its gonna be any good in the end since areanet doesnt release any new content often
    They were releasing new expansions in under a year. Yes, there was a huge lul in activity after EotN launched, but they've come full circle and have begun releasing new end-game content that's hard as balls. The War in Kryta and Hearts of the North. A new Canthan arc will be out soon as well.

Quote Originally Posted by DeanyKong View Post
    Alesia agrees with you.
    Rather the idiot that gave her touch spells.

Quote Originally Posted by Tholl View Post
    However, it is supposed to be spelled Takhisis.

On topic, tanks are NOT needed in a MMO. As stated before, why would a super smart monster or person completely ignore the caster in the back keeping everyone healed up? The fact that they DO ignore said players in any MMO is stupid. Bosses should be beating on everyone equally, and ALL players should be helping to keep everyone alive and not taking a ton of dmg.

That will make encounters more complex, well thought out, better planned, and more fun.
    From a different PoV that is kind of silly how some games do work like that OMG THESE ARROWS HURT SO MUCH, but this tin can in front of me is giving me a bad nose itch! must fix itch first then pull out arrows later!

Quote Originally Posted by Biggiej View Post
    From a different PoV that is kind of silly how some games do work like that OMG THESE ARROWS HURT SO MUCH, but this tin can in front of me is giving me a bad nose itch! must fix itch first then pull out arrows later!
    Beyond that, having no designated tanks/healers means that there shouldn't be automatic wipes due to a crucial role DCing or having a computer that faceplants during high activity.

The Patient
    Yes, I like how there is no specific person you need to rely on or if someone dies you won't wipe.

The only thing I had a problem with was that you could revive as many times as you want, but they said it will take longer and longer the more you revive, which is a good balance.

anyone else not able to load the guildwars2.com page? it wont load for me?

Quote Originally Posted by Druxray View Post
    anyone else not able to load the guildwars2.com page? it wont load for me?
    All the Arenanet pages have had problems for the last month or so, it's a routing problem but they really should have been able to resolve it by now. Usually I use a proxysite to fix the problem - so try this http://anonymouse.org/cgi-bin/anon-w...guildwars2.com or try later.

ArenaNet is having a video contest. Some cool prizes for the winners. I wish I was somewhat creative to make one.

http://www.guildwars2.com/en/contests/video-contest/

bumping because there are like 8 rift threads on the first page... and...

WOOO YEAH!!!! GUILD WARS 2!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by SW:TOR
    Jokerseven - Kinetic Combat Shadow - Praxeum - Canderous Ordo
    Ce'lia - Combat Sentinel - Praxeum - Canderous Ordo
    Sentinel PVE Basics for the two Specs that matter