And I 100% agree with that sentiment. Sure, they're not going after them. But they're competing, whether they like it or not. A Truck isn't a car, but it competes in the vehicle market.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    They still aren't directly competing. You don't need to play with other players in GW2 to get what you want, unlike in WoW and other MMOs. It will work well for both gamers that like single player games and gamers that love MMOs. As I see it GW2 has a much broader audience than most MMOS, and the car vs truck argument doesn't work in this case because both use the same pricing. You would have to compare it with a car with a one time payment vs a truck with a payment and then monthly fees continuing. The games have different business models, game mechanics, and audience types. If GW2 had a monthly fee than it would be competing with WoW, but still not fully or directly, because it is such a different game. WoW, Rift, Warhammer, Aion, etc are all competing because they are pretty much the same concept with different classes, professions, and lore. ArenaNet is changing the complete formula with GW2.

P2P games compete with each other - WoW vs Rift
    B2P games compete with each other
    F2P games compete with each other - Allods Online vs Vindictus
    Last edited by Relente; 2011-05-13 at 10:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gotpriest View Post
    And I 100% agree with that sentiment. Sure, they're not going after them. But they're competing, whether they like it or not. A Truck isn't a car, but it competes in the vehicle market.
    It's competition "light", and if anything the massive WoW playerbase will help GW2 since you have a massive pool of players to pull from who otherwise might not be interested. The playerbases can easily overlap since GW2 is B2P and WoW is P2P. You can easily have people playing both without "stealing" marketshare. If this were something like Rift, yeah, many people don't want to pay 2 sub fees, so Rift is "stealing" marketshare. If anything, B2P/F2P games appeal to a broader market since there isn't the subscription barrier which keeps many players away from a game.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ampd413 View Post
    They still aren't directly competing. You don't need to play with other players in GW2 to get what you want, unlike in WoW and other MMOs. It will work well for both gamers that like single player games and games that love MMOs. As I see it GW2 has a much broader audience than most MMOS, and the car vs truck argument doesn't work in this case because both use the same pricing. You would have to compare it with a car with a one time payment vs a truck with a payment and then monthly fees continuing.
    Playing Guild Wars and playing WoW requires a very limited resource from it's players. Not money, but time. You can't play both games, with the same amount of attention given, at the same time. People choosing to spend time playing Guild Wars 2 over WoW will essentially be costing Blizzard money. The competition truly lies in the sense of which game is going to encourage more time played. Which game feels more worth while to spend your free time on compared to the other.

I think that's what gotpriest is trying to say.
    Quote Originally Posted by SW:TOR
    Jokerseven - Kinetic Combat Shadow - Praxeum - Canderous Ordo
    Ce'lia - Combat Sentinel - Praxeum - Canderous Ordo
    Sentinel PVE Basics for the two Specs that matter

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Who says you can't play both games? No one is forcing you to play the game a certain amount of time, and you have to take into account there are way more casual players than hardcore players. Not everyone plays 20-30+ hours a week, and another thing that makes them so much different is there is no rush for players in GW2 because there is no monthly fee. You can dedicate most of your time to WoW and still play GW2 without thinking your not getting your money's worth because you don't have to pay a sub fee. If you actually took time to look at both games and see how different they really are you would understand. Just because they both are Fantasy MMORPGs, doesn't mean they are the same or competing for the same audience.

No one says GW1 is directly competing with WoW, so I don't know why now GW2 is being said to compete with WoW.
    Last edited by Relente; 2011-05-13 at 10:25 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ampd413 View Post
    Not everyone plays 20-30+ hours a week.
    Where did I say that everyone did? I said Free Time. As in, time for rest or recreation. Not everyone will be able to play multiple games. Not many people will want to. The competition is "What game is more fun?" If someone thinks WoW is more fun that Guild Wars (or anything else) they'll be more likely to spend more of their free time playing WoW. The same works in the reverse, and because Guild Wars doesn't require a subscription, and if the person was more likely to play Guild Wars over WoW, then they're likely to cancel their WoW subscription. Costing WoW money.

No, there's no monetary ramification of playing WoW more than Guild Wars, but there is a monetary ramification if the player choses to play Guild Wars over WoW because they're getting less and less worth out of their subscription to WoW.

That's where there's direct competition between the two games, between any game.

Quote Originally Posted by Blznsmri View Post
    Playing Guild Wars and playing WoW requires a very limited resource from it's players. Not money, but time. You can't play both games, with the same amount of attention given, at the same time. People choosing to spend time playing Guild Wars 2 over WoW will essentially be costing Blizzard money. The competition truly lies in the sense of which game is going to encourage more time played. Which game feels more worth while to spend your free time on compared to the other.

Not true at all. There may be some who quit WoW or another subscription based game to play a F2P, but many will likely play both. Raiders can play WoW and attend raids, and play GW2 in their off time. Casuals and bounce back and fourth between the game since they don't feel the need to heavily invest time in either (many play WoW only an hour or two a day, so there is plenty of other time left to play other games). Blizzard doesn't make money based on how much the player plays, they just have to be subscribed. I know that for the last 8ish months of LK, I was only really playing WoW on raid nights and occasionally for PvP or something. The majority of my free time was spent watching anime/movies and playing other games. So despite my time being primarily spent elsewhere, Blizzard was still making money from me.

This! (Sorry, was out on an errand.) So much this. A Million times this.

---------- Post added 2011-05-13 at 10:54 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Miggetmagic View Post
    The world is being fit at almost a 1:1 scale of the original Guild Wars, with the inclusion of jumping, thats a hell of a lot more ground to cover!

[snip snip snip]
    Amazing. Thanks!

---------- Post added 2011-05-13 at 10:58 PM ----------

Again, it's all about time. No, GW2 doesn't compete directly with WoW. But for the majority of PC Gamers with limited time (which is very, very large group of people), they choose one game to play at a time. Rarely more than 2. Between Kids and Work, they just don't have the time. Call of Duty even competes with WoW because it is Online Entertainment. CoD is taking time that I could have spent playing WoW. I cancelled my subscription in order to play CoD. I'm not going to buy the newest Deus Ex, because there are too many other games I want to play at the moment. And when it comes down to it, I might not buy GW2, if I'm too engrossed in D3, SW:ToR, and SC2.1. They're all different products. But because others soaked up my time first, I'm not going to pay for the former.
    Last edited by gotpriest; 2011-05-13 at 10:59 PM.

Personally I see no reason why anyone would continue to pay their WoW subscription after having experienced Guild Wars 2.

I canceled a long time ago when I got to play it at GamesCom, because at that moment I had lost my entire appeal for World of Warcraft. There's no way I'll get into it again, it feels so ridiculous now.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ZyngaFail View Post
    Personally I see no reason why anyone would continue to pay their WoW subscription after having experienced Guild Wars 2.

I canceled a long time ago when I got to play it at GamesCom, because at that moment I had lost my entire appeal for World of Warcraft. There's no way I'll get into it again, it feels so ridiculous now.
    People are stupid and believe it's just like GW1 still or their stupid fan boys and can't stand something else coming into the gaming scene.

Quote Originally Posted by Pyre Fierceshot View Post
    People are stupid and believe it's just like GW1 still or their stupid fan boys and can't stand something else coming into the gaming scene.
    Well I think they will need to accept the change as more people get to play Guild Wars 2.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Oh this game just looks too good to be true.... I really can't wait for this and Diablo3.

Deleted
    It's funny to watch those GW2 videos, especially because of the comments.
    So much WoW vs GW2 debate going on.

Deleted
    Do you guys know if GW2 will have mounts ? (not flying ones),not that it it imoprtant really.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Erathus View Post
    Do you guys know if GW2 will have mounts ? (not flying ones),not that it it imoprtant really.
    I could have sworn that they do, but I have no source, don't quote me.

---------- Post added 2011-05-14 at 01:44 AM ----------

I wish I didn't find the Charr to be so freakin badass... because I just know they will be the bloodelves of GW2 (not the gay part, but the hordes of bad players part :P). I guess I'll just play one anyway and try to be the minority of good Charr.

10+ Year Old Account
    As far as I know. No. They wont. You wont need them either. Fast Travel between cities and waypoints within areas.

Deleted
    As far as I know. No. They wont. You wont need them either. Fast Travel between cities and waypoints within areas.
    Ah ok,as i saw in one video, when you are using mounts and especially flying mounts in a game you lose the "scaling" of the world since you can bypass enemies,thank god that GW2 wont have,just asked from curiosity.
    Btw what are the waypoints you mentioned? Is it the same as GW1 in which you can travel instantly from one city to other ?

10+ Year Old Account
    Ah ok,as i saw in one video, when you are using mounts and especially flying mounts in a game you lose the "scaling" of the world since you can bypass enemies,thank god that GW2 wont have,just asked from curiosity.
    Btw what are the waypoints you mentioned? Is it the same as GW1 in which you can travel instantly from one city to other ?
    No, that's Fast Travel (essentially the same thing really...)

Waypoints are like Resurrection Shrines (or grave yards) that you can pay in-game gold to use as a means of getting around a zone quicker. The further you want to go, the more you have to pay.

You have to get to it first to activate it of course though.
    Last edited by Blznsmri; 2011-05-14 at 09:22 AM.

from what I've seen, they said they won't have mounts at launch, but later on they will, but i believe they should only be about a 50-60% speed increase to keep that epic world feeling.

I would rather ride around on a mount than use the fast travel system.

There's a big thread discussing mounts on GW2guru: http://www.guildwars2guru.com/forum/...ti-t16098.html

My impression was there are no plans to add them at any time? I don't have a source where they actually state that though, does anyone have a source that suggests they will add them? I'm not arguing, just curious as it seems I've missed some information.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevoman View Post
    I love these changes. Maybe it's because I've always valued utility and teamwork over my personal meter whoring, but the ability to pop Heart and step in for a dead healer/tank for 45s to save the day is Druidism at its finest IMO.
    Quote Originally Posted by DoubleDragon
    Technically dragon eating human is not cannibalism. It is misfortunate inconvinience.