Quote Originally Posted by Pyre Fierceshot View Post
    If they did do that though, it would cause other professions to complain, which would cause for redesigning of banners etc. Then PvP'ers would moan they have to memorize more things to know what type of banner/turret is in play by people. I don't think it's a worthwhile addition to the game to be honest. Look at armour on every race, it's the same graphic just scales to fit them, theres no need for different looks for each race, it's just people been picky.

I always liked how Arena Net kept things simple.
    Simple like 1,400 skills, right?

Fact is, any player worth his salt can state the general effect of a skill upon seeing its icon, if not quote the description entirely. In fact, because the icons show up so often (and because they're unique, unlike WoW's - something I always liked), a number of players can match the more obscure skills' effects to their icons but not to their names.

Reskinning banners and turrets isn't a big deal. It's not unlike shaman totems - if it glows green, it's an earth totem and likely has effect X, Y, or Z and is priority N. If it's blue, it's likely... etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Cleverbot View Post
    Though I'm pleasantly surprised by the Engineer profession, I'm not too excited about it strangely.

The playstyle looks like a cross between a GW Ranger Trapper and a Diablo 3 Demon Hunter....lots of laying traps, retreating and firing. Not my favorite way of fighting.

I hope to be pleasantly surprised again when GW2 actually comes out and I find that I love the profession regardless.
    You don't have to be an engineer...there's other to choose from...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Northy View Post
    You don't have to be an engineer...there's other to choose from...
    Indeed, it would be impossible to make all professions interesting for everyone.
    Engineer is definitely a "hate it or love it"-type of profession, and while I can understand why some people think it will look out of place, in my opinion, it fits the world perfectly.
    Yes they are a bit more advanced than for example the warrior or ranger, but that doesn't mean that, in a fantasy world, it makes no sense to use swords/bows.

Take warriors and rogues for example, they can have guns with them, but just melee the enemy.

If you really find engineers immersion breaking, try to avoid them

Now we just need them to officially announce the Mesmer. Loving the engi though.

To be honest I'm a little bit more worried about those giant offroad buggy tank thingies in the background of the Glue Shot video than with the engineer itself. They're really looking out of place for me. ^^"
    The advantage of the dreamer is that he never has to face the chains of reality.
    Blackhand[EU] - Mistral

Deleted
    For people thinking Engineer will be unpopular, the lastest poll on GW2guru shows otherwise.

http://www.guildwars2guru.com/forum/...ni-t16894.html

It's only been up since it was announced but people seem to like it.

I personally hope they change the Engineer alittle bit, since it seems a bit too futurist with some of their gadgets. I think clockwork bombs, and none modern grenades should be swapped in for the current ones.

Let's hope it dosen't turn around and bite ArenaNet in the ass. The Thief using cluster bombs, the Engineer using landmines? Really ArenaNet? Really? Do they ever watch the news? Children all over the world is being affected by this crap every day irl, and ArenaNet is trying to make it entertaining? There's a lot of companies that wouldn't surprise me by doing this, but I honestly wouldn't have thought this about ArenaNet. Oh well.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tristan Khan View Post
    Let's hope it dosen't turn around and bite ArenaNet in the ass. The Thief using cluster bombs, the Engineer using landmines? Really ArenaNet? Really? Do they ever watch the news? Children all over the world is being affected by this crap every day irl, and ArenaNet is trying to make it entertaining? There's a lot of companies that wouldn't surprise me by doing this, but I honestly wouldn't have thought this about ArenaNet. Oh well.
    If people can't take things with fun in games, even though it creates seriousness in games, then don't play games.
    It's a fantasy game, if you say stuff like that above, they should remove all voilence in the game aswell, which would result in an MMO where we can only run around hugging things.

10+ Year Old Account
    Mario has bullet bill, people get shot in real life too

Wow has bombs

what about games like BF and COD

or GTA for that matter?

Engineer looks rather bad...
    This is coming from an old guild wars player (2000+ hours) and someone looking forward to guild wars 2.

Pyre and Jvbastel: you're both very right. I just personally feel that cluster bombs and landmines is making it all "too real" in a way. Millions of people all over the world are trying to get a world wide ban on these things, because they all too often ruin the lives of civilians for decades after a conflict. And those civilians are very often children. I'm just a bit surprised, that's all.

Quote Originally Posted by jvbastel View Post
    Mario has bullet bill, people get shot in real life too

Wow has bombs

what about games like BF and COD

or GTA for that matter?
    Bullet Bills and a plumber taking mushrooms and getting an extreme high, I think Mario is suppose to be an example of a drug addict.

(Totally not serious before someone jumps all over me, eek! o.o)

Deleted
    Oh my, I so want to be a Norn Engineer Now if they would only give the Engineer a fighting mechanical chicken as a pet (or squirrel, I'm not fussy) Then I could quit wow for good.

Quote Originally Posted by Pyre Fierceshot View Post
    For people thinking Engineer will be unpopular, the lastest poll on GW2guru shows otherwise.

guildwars2guru.com/forum/what-will-your-main-professioni-t16894.html

It's only been up since it was announced but people seem to like it.

I personally hope they change the Engineer alittle bit, since it seems a bit too futurist with some of their gadgets. I think clockwork bombs, and none modern grenades should be swapped in for the current ones.

well the engineer has the momentum right now, but my bet ist that some of those numbers will change back to some of the 'old' professions

Quote Originally Posted by Digglett View Post
    Bullet Bills and a plumber taking mushrooms and getting an extreme high, I think Mario is suppose to be an example of a drug addict.

(Totally not serious before someone jumps all over me, eek! o.o)
    Dont worry hes a doctor who happens to be a professional at every single sport so he can handle a couple mushrooms every now and then

10+ Year Old Account
    The problem is that IRL we focus on the symptom, the bomb, the grenade, the gun. Look at the endless arguments for banning guns, most of them revolve around how "guns are bad and everything would be peachy if they were gone." How is a Landmine different from an Explosive Trap? Is it just more "real"?

ANet isn't trying to make blowing little kids up entertaining. It's a common misconception and an argument used by people who scream "think of the children!" that some evil person put those landmines there JUST to blow up some little kids. They didn't, they were fighting a war, either two days ago or two decades ago, and the war ended,(or didn't) one way or another, and those items were forgotten.

If landmines and cluster bombs are so evil, why aren't guns? People are killed by those every day and GW2 has lots of them. What about fighting in general, doesn't this game disgust you on the grounds that it involves essentially waging a war?

Really, objections to video games using something like "landmines" because some real people have used them stupidly and that's caused children to suffer, are just silly. It's a game. Your land mine will despawn in a few seconds, no random child is going to walk over it and get killed, it's just pixels.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

War games exist, dude. Were you also opposed to the "Corsair Prisoner" in Istan that new necromancers and mesmers practiced hexing? What about the part where a vengeful spirit tortures the souls of all it passes by, turning them into violent abominations with no hope of being cured? Or the part where civilians are drafted into Kourna's army and you're forced to fight and kill them for no good reason?

There's a reason why the game's rated T. If you can't separate fantasy from reality, the game will simply not be fun for you. I myself, for example, have a moral aversion to shooting firearms in real life (though for some reason I'm ok with bows and tomahawks). My objection to the engineer, however, isn't because I don't want to play a character that uses firearms and explosives - it's because I find modern technology out of place in a medieval setting, and also because I simply prefer swords and sorcery to swords, sorcery, and firearms.

Also, Mario is totally a druggie, but it's not his fault - I blame Peach for not doing anything about the situation in Mushroom Kingdom.

Quote Originally Posted by Armond View Post
    I blame Peach for not doing anything about the situation in Mushroom Kingdom.
    Really, it's just an issue with the Toadstool population having no well-funded Planned Parenthood. If we did more on our part with their education, I'm sure we wouldn't have this issue.

On topic though, I'm really not impressed with the Engineer Playstyle from what they showed in that video. It was 1 scene of "Hold your Ground" and 3 scenes of "Retreat, fire, retreat, fire, retreat, fire." Way too passive for me, and I could see it being potentially problematic in Solo and Group Play.

With no Dedicated Aggro System, you run into the issue that you need a very wide, open space to be an effective Engineer.

I will say though that they only showed us 3 or the 5(6?) Engineer Kits, so a couple of the others could be more oriented for close combat.
    Last edited by gotpriest; 2011-05-20 at 05:30 PM.

I think engineers shouldn't have too much of a problem fighting in small space. Small space means turrets won't be out-ranged, and from the looks of they'll still be able to keep distance, especially with their (forgot the name) move that glues the enemies. Plus they have their land mines if monsters in melee range.

Unfortunately, I'm afraid the Engineer problem will be compounded when they start trying to sell us hats.